Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Newbie in Louisiana

Hello to all. As a long time AS wannabe and a ready buyer, I am so excited to have found such wonderful folks who LOVE their Airstreams and have so much knowledge to share. Also, after having read Victoria's recent posts and responses from you all, I am in tears because of your kind support. I pray that she and her husband find the perfect AS trailer for their needs.

My husband has finally conceded to my years of prompting for a used AS. I just missed out on a local 86 Sovereign that was garage-kept and now, truly have tin can fever! We would like to locate a unit up to 26 feet that will comfortably sleep 4 folks (our son often brings along a friend). We have a Chevy Tahoe for towing, so weight shouldn't be too much of an issue. BTW, this will be our first trailer. We have both camped with others and rented before, but wouldn't call ourselves truly experienced.

Any newbie advice is greatly appreciated and I look forward to learning from you guys. Have a blessed day!

Sandy
3blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

You found the right place for all things Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Greetings and welcome -

I usually start with "how much can I spend! (dollars)".
Define for yourself how you will use it.
After that, I would select a trailer length (feet).

Repairs and parts are costly and time consuming - do alot of reading
here in the forum in order to know what you are seeing as you are looking.

Tip - carry a digital camera - we love pictures!!!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Thanks Moosetags and Ken for your prompt responses. Let's see if I can help answer questions both for you and myself:

1) Would like to stay in the 10-12K range, if possible. Just looking for a well cared for unit and one with wrap around windows on both ends, if possible.
2) Will likely use both locally, for weekend fishing trips and longer distances to the Blue Ridge Mountain area, as we have property up in Tennessee. Will probably use an average of once monthly.
3) Was thinking of moving up to as much as 26 feet to try to get a dining area and sofa area, so as to be able to have 3 sleeping areas.
4) I think my hubby is most concerned about upkeep costs. However, he owns 2 Boston Whalers and a bunch of outboard engines (I rest my case ). We do have enough property to store the AS here at home, but I need to know what type of covers, if any, are safe for protecting the unit.

With that said, there appear to be extreme variations in prices no matter the condition listed on ads. Am a bit fearful of sites like eBay, knowing full well that it is a "buyer beware" market. Do you have any Louisiana owners who are members that we might be able to contact for advice/support in case of a positive find?

In advance, thank you for your time and advice. Both are much appreciated.

Sandy
Old 10-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Hello Sandy... and welcome to the forum. You will gain a wealth of knowledge here on AS trailers. We are new to the AS brand and limited in what we know but there are plenty of folks here to lead you in the right direction. We are located over in the Lake Charles area and will keep an eye out for any potential good buys. Take care.....steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
At that price range you should be able to locate a very
nice trailer.

I would suggest a pole shed to keep the direct rain water
off. Also as much direct sun off. It rains alot and gets very
hot in Louisiana.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hi Sandy,

I jumped in with two feet and bought a unit that was "ready to roll". This does not mean it was without problems: those I found after my first few months and after reading tons of posts on this forum. You're right about the buyer beware - especially since some of the problems are not immediately evident or understood by the seller: worn axles, rear-end sag, old weatherstripping, loss of univolt/converter, damaged subflooring, leaks, etc.

Might want to look over this Trailer Inspection Checklist: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

To find someone who has offered to inspect a trailer, look for "Airstream Inspectors" about halfway down on the left side of the website (portal). You enter the state and type of inspcetor (trailer, motorhome, etc).

Good luck in your search,
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Welcome Sandy,

I don't think you will find a better spot to answer any of your AS questions!

Now, having said that, maybe you can help me with a question!?

We normally head for Arizona in winter time, but this year thought we would like to spend some time in the Cajun country of Louisiana and then work our way east along the gulf to Florida.

We've been to N'Awlins once, but know nothing about the rest of Louisiana. I figured maybe Lafayette may be a good spot to use as a base and to visit places like Mamou, Eunice Breaux Bridge, to sample some of that great Cajun music and food.

Does that sound ok, or are there other spots you might recommend other than these, I really don't have much of an idea!

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks ................. Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Wow! You guys are just great with your speedy replies. I can't wait to become part of the AS Club and get to know you better as we "travel the roads" together. Thanks for the input and ideas. I already feel better knowing that there is such good advice and experience in this forum :-). Will reply to each individual e-mail within the next day.

Have a great night.

Sandy
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome Sandy!

You made a really good first step. Amazing how much you can learn just being here! Knowledge is king, and will certainly help as you look around.

Good luck in your search,

AL
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Welcome to the forums, You are going to find everything here, people, people, and more people from every walk of life, all kinds of professionals, advisors, do it yourselfers-you name it. Welcome!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Welcome and we bought our lst gal and I knew nothing!!!!!!!! I thought camping was a motel 6. We now have our 22 ft gal and we love her and love camping. somewhere I posted our lst experience. WE all have our tales to tell. Good Luck!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
Hello Sandy and welcome to the forums. We live to the south of yall in Luling. We recently went camping in Wiggins Mississippi. On the outskirts of Wiggins on hwy 26 there is a sign for a 1999 Airstream for sale. I barely caught a glimpse of the trailer as it was perpindicular to the road. As of today it was two weeks ago. Worth a shot?

Aaron
aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Hey Brian and Connie,

You're wise to want to visit the Southwestern region of our great state! I can give you a little insight, as we used to live in Lafayette and I graduated from the university there when it was still known as USL.

For looking around the area, you'll want to visit Avery Island where Tabasco is made. This is a nice half day trip with beautiful gardens and a fascinating movie about the devastating collapse of the salt mines located there. If you head northward past Opelousas, you can visit Chicot State Park. Beautiful lake area and camping. You might want to go eastward to Henderson swamp where you can take a swamp tour and have a memorable meal at Pat's. In Breaux Bridge, again to the east off of I-10, make sure to visit Mulate's for some fine Cajun food and dancing. Go in the evening to catch the live music. If you like Bloody Mary's, they make a famous, spicy version there!
As for food, where to begin??? Crawfish, shrimp, oysters, gumbo, po-boys---it's all there! Try some of each and you'll never forget them. We haven't been to the area to dine in a few years, but many restaurants abound and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the wide varieties of local offerings. One of our favorite morning stops was Poupart's Bakery on Kaliste Saloom Rd. in the south part of Lafayette. Unbelievable goodies there.
Anyway, hope this helps. You guys will have a blast in Louisiana. Our locals are very warm and friendly.

Sandy
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Aaron, thanks so much for the info. Will check it out. Also used to live in Luling many years ago! BTW, how do you like the 23' Safari? Do you feel cramped or is it "just right"?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Thanks to all for the advice!

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone who has responded. Will stay in touch as I continue to search for the right fit. Have a wonderful weekend! Sandy
Old 10-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
Sandy, We love our Safari. It is a bit tight with three kids but I'll remedy that when I put two bunks in. When we got our Safari it was a deal we couldn't pass up. If I had the choice I would have went with a larger unit but with a little ingenuity we're making due. On another note. Except for a trip to San Diego MCRD I have lived in Luling for 43 years. Where about did you live?
Aaron
aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Sandy,

Many thanks for those helpful tips!

Every year, a couple of months before we head south in the winter, I set up a word processing document wherein I try to capture all kinds of stuff I have learned from guide books, internet, etc etc to include possible places to visit, recommended places to stay or eat, and festivals or fairs, big flea markets & such that might be on when we are in the area.

Of course we don't always do all the stuff I have collected, but it is always a handy single source reference that I use many times dyring our trip.

I will certainly be adding your comments to my list!

I had heard about Mulate's & plan to visit!

There was also some restaurant I heard about in Mamou that I think is only open Saturday's that sounded a great spot for brunch and good music.

Best of luck in your search for an AS. We only bought ours last Fall but so far are very happy with it. Did have to buy a bigger truck to pull it though as I felt our half ton was marginal - and I don't like marginal!

Our trailer however being only a few years old is much heavier that earlier models for the same (31') length.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Luling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaumpine View Post
Sandy, We love our Safari. It is a bit tight with three kids but I'll remedy that when I put two bunks in. When we got our Safari it was a deal we couldn't pass up. If I had the choice I would have went with a larger unit but with a little ingenuity we're making due. On another note. Except for a trip to San Diego MCRD I have lived in Luling for 43 years. Where about did you live?
Aaron
Hey Aaron,

Used to live in Mimosa Park years and years ago. No Wal-Mart, Subway, etc. back then!

Trying to get over to Wiggins to look for that sign you told me about. Will update with info if I can ever make it there! Thanks again.

Sandy