Old 07-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Rockwall , Texas
Newbie here from Dallas

I need help. We went looking at Airstreams yesterday and feel our family HAS to have one. We have an autistic 9 yr old son and a 2 yr old typical son as well. The 9 yr old doesn't like crowds, unexpected noises, has a special diet, etc so vacationing with him is hard. He lives to swim and go on walks though. So, it just seems like he would love camping and he was really excited looking yesterday. My question is do y'all know of a place we can rent an actual Airstream to try it out before spending $75 K plus? I haven't found anything online. We just want to take the boys once to make sure they love it as much as we think they would before spending so much money. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Even if its just a place that has them already parked in a park and you just rent the room would be fine). But, the only thing I found like that was just South of San Fransisco. I need something way closer to Texas....

Thanks!!!

Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!

Not questioning your approach, seeking info and making suggestions...

Have you done any camping in Some Other Brand (SOB) /ice chest type trailer? Those are rentable quite easily and they will even pull and set up for you so you can focus on "camping".

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Rockwall , Texas
That's the only option I'm finding. The son with autism is very much into routines and regularity. What seems like minor details seem to become obsessions (hard core obsessions). So, my fear of renting a 25' plus in another brand is he won't like the Airstream later. Say I rent one called Wilderness, he may only want to stay in a Wilderness again. Problem is I know I won't own anything other than an Airstream. We tend to think these things out a bit too much it seems but we've been forced to after many failed attempts of minor changes. We don't always let him get his way and his therapists work on this weekly. The biggest problem is he has extreme anxiety on top of his autism. So, if I find a way to rent an Airstream -great. If not, we'll go the standard rental route and prepare him moving forward.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
There's a new company out of LA that is renting Airstreams (and tow vehicles)...called Airstream 2 Go . Perhaps they might accommodate your needs...

Good luck!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our sons had some issues. They all grew up to be US Marines and we couldn't be prouder. Hang in there!

Since changes are hard at this time, maybe buy a used AS that will fit...? We bought a 1999 and have fixed the issues pretty quick. Then started enjoying.

Selling used will lose less $ if you have to.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
There are two "KOA" campgrounds near you (Eureka Springs, Arkansas and South Padre Island in TX that have Airstreams in their parks for rent, though not to be moved, if spending the night in an Airstream is truly critical.. Due to price and repair costs, almost nobody rents them to tow away, nor will friends or relatives generally let others drive away pulling their Airstream.. (There are entire threads here on that subject..).

A very few companies might rent generic white box trailers if you have a suitable towing vehicle, but 99% of rental RV's are going to be mini-motorhomes from people like CruiseAmerica, El Monte or Moturis... If you want to try quiet state or regional or national parks away from crowds, that is likely to be your only option...

As noted above, buying a "new one" if you are unsure of viability would be really bad financial decision, as depreciation in year 1 of new trailer can be 20% or more.. Far better to buy used one (~8 to 10 years old in very good shape) and hope to sell for close to purchase price if experiment is a failure...

Good luck with your decision and hope it works out...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Rockwall , Texas
Great advise all the way around. I'm looking into KOA right now. Both those locations would be perfect!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
There are two "KOA" campgrounds near you (Eureka Springs, Arkansas and South Padre Island in TX that have Airstreams in their parks for rent, though not to be moved, if spending the night in an Airstream is truly critical.. Due to price and repair costs, almost nobody rents them to tow away, nor will friends or relatives generally let others drive away pulling their Airstream.. (There are entire threads here on that subject..).

A very few companies might rent generic white box trailers if you have a suitable towing vehicle, but 99% of rental RV's are going to be mini-motorhomes from people like CruiseAmerica, El Monte or Moturis... If you want to try quiet state or regional or national parks away from crowds, that is likely to be your only option...

As noted above, buying a "new one" if you are unsure of viability would be really bad financial decision, as depreciation in year 1 of new trailer can be 20% or more.. Far better to buy used one (~8 to 10 years old in very good shape) and hope to sell for close to purchase price if experiment is a failure...

Good luck with your decision and hope it works out...
Thank You So Much!!!! I booked the Padre one for the end of the month.

So excited
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Excellent!

I see there is a 30' AS someone has for sale in Houston, may be a side trip?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Just read your post, I'm excited for you too. Be sure to post back after your trip, and let us know how it goes!

BTW, I definitely agree with what others have said about purchasing a used A/S. We purchased our 71 Caravel in March and absolutely love it. My parents loved it too and purchased their very own 2005 25' Airstream this past weekend. Good ones can be found, just do your homework and be ready to purchase when the right one comes up. You can save thousands!!!
2PNPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
Thumbs up Hi new from Dallas

I just want you to know that camping is a great choice for your son. I have a nephew that is autistic and 18. He loves the outdoors. My thoughts and prayers are w you. My sister goes to bent tree church which has been a great support of special needs children. I would highly recommend it.