Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Trumbull , Connecticut
Newbie here!

Just joined the site 10 minutes ago. I am not an owner yet, and that's why I'm here. I am a career firefighter, and like a lot of people these days money is tight so I am trying to do as much research as I can before spending my hard earned cash. I can not afford to re-invent the wheel so I will cruising the FAQ's, and first timer threads. Feel free to inpart all your experience and words of wisdom, it is greatly appreciated. Don't have a set budget yet, but it won't be terribly large. The only thing I can tell you is my tow vehicle will be a 1990 chevy suburban 2500. So thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing from you. Take care and have a great day.. Mark
Newbie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

Mark,

Are you thinking new or gently used. Either way you can get a good idea of whats out there by visiting our classified section.
Also Colonial Airstream has a great web site with lots of pictures.
Colonial Airstream - Airstream's #1 Volume Airstream Dealership, New Jersey, RV, Travel Trailers, Motor Homes

Good luck in your hunt..
Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Mark welcome to the forums. You don't give us much to work with. Do you have a ballpark budget? Are you looking for vintage, new or gently used? What length trailer are you thinking of? How large is your family, will you need bunks, a dinette bed or will a double bed and pull out sofa suffice? Your suburban will pull almost anything A/S makes so the TV(tow vehicle) is not an issue as to size.
Throw us a bone here and narrow down some choices, please.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Trumbull , Connecticut
Well here is what I know..We are a family of 4, I will be looking at a used trailer, I am quite handy in all aspects of carpentry, some welding, plumbing & wiring. my budget as of now is about $6,ooo. My tow vehicle is a 1990 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4. I am in no rush as of right now, because I have to have back surgery in Sept, and I have to sell a truck to get some extra cash. Are there better deals at the end of the summer? I do like the look of the older ones, but I honestly don't know much about them.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Trumbull , Connecticut
And a double bed for me and my wife and twins/bunks for the kids.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
More stuff to do

Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, Mark! I think that your idea to study all the archives here before making decisions on exactly what Airstream you will target to buy is a good one.

After all, it will be a significant investment, one way or the other. So read, read, read!

However, while you do that, I think there's another activity that would be equally useful if you can find the time: go out and look at, and sit in as many different AS TTS (Airstream Travel Trailers) that you can! Think of it this way: you wouldn't dream of buying a car (or house) that you hadn't actually "tried on", would you?

You don't need to actually travel in one, of course. In fact, in most places it is illegal to ride it it while it's moving. So the TT you visit to sit in will be in a showroom, driveway, or camp, it makes no difference; what you want to do is spend some time in the different sizes and "shapes" of Airstreams. There's a different feel to them all.

Don't forget to keep an eye on our Classifieds here, many members of airforums have actually found the trailer of their dreams right here!

Oh, one last thing: we love photos here! So any excuse you find to post one, don't hesitate to.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Trumbull , Connecticut
Thanks Aage, and yes I plan on taking my time and doing my homework. Right now the only pic I can post is going to be my truck lol
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie160 View Post
Well here is what I know..We are a family of 4, I will be looking at a used trailer, I am quite handy in all aspects of carpentry, some welding, plumbing & wiring. my budget as of now is about $6,ooo. My tow vehicle is a 1990 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4. I am in no rush as of right now, because I have to have back surgery in Sept, and I have to sell a truck to get some extra cash. Are there better deals at the end of the summer? I do like the look of the older ones, but I honestly don't know much about them.
Definately prices tend to be lower off season. $6K should land you a decent vintage(70's) unit. The longer ones sell for less as there are more of them and the trend nowadays is for the smaller, easier to tow ones.
Try to get one that has spent it's life in dry climate like AZ or TX, CA etc. They tend to have fewer problems with leaking and floor rot/ frame rust. Try to locate a center bath model if possible, they have less weight on the rear and are not subject to rear end seperation problems like the rear bath models.The other advantage to the center bath models is that the bathroom is accesible from the front without going through the bedroom like the rear bath models. Very helpful for the small ones needing a pee in the middle of the night. 1974 and up came with both grey(sinks/shower) water and black (toilet) water tanks. Most models are twin beds but some have a double bed with a fold down couch in front. Very few came with the fold down canvas bunks.
I just looked through the clasifieds and found only one post 74 with center bath, it needs work but good to look at for a comparison.
1975 Excella 500 31' mid-bath - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
Here are some rear bath models:
1977 31' Airstream Sovereign - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

1978 31' Airstream Excella 500 with title, lots of options - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

31' Land Yacht Romany - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

1975 Airstream 31ft Travel Trailer - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

1979 Vintage Airstream Excella 500 - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

1975 Airstream 31' Sovereign - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Trumbull , Connecticut
All good info thanks. I would love to be able to find something out on the west coast but I can only imagine how much it would cost to have it shipped. Like most said a 31' may be a bit much. I did see some 24 footers that I liked. The midship bathroom was a great tip. I did see from some of the photos that there were also midship twin bunks with storage overhead. Has anyone ever tried to remove the overhead storage and add additional bunks? Were there any models or years I should stay away from? I'm taking notes with every post. How dies my Suburban 2500 stack up as a tow vehicle? Thanks again
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Had a 95 2500 Burb, an option available then was the 7.4ltr engine, how is yours optioned? Engine, towing package, axle ratio etc.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mark the center bath was available in the 25ft/27ft/29ft and 31ft models although very rare in anything but the 31fters. The TT weights are as floolows:
25ft: 4190lbs.
27ft: 4575lbs
29ft: 4795lbs
31ft: 4975lbs
I'm having trouble finding the towing capacity for your Suburban but some close specs show it to be near to 9000lbs so it will be able to haul any of them.
The difference between the 25 and the 31 is only 800 lbs.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I'm having trouble finding the towing capacity for your Suburban but some close specs show it to be near to 9000lbs so it will be able to haul any of them.
The difference between the 25 and the 31 is only 800 lbs.
If the grey cell's aren't totality gone our 2500 454 was 11000lbs, 9000 sounds right for the 350. Believe all 2500's had the towing package.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Trumbull , Connecticut
As it sits it has the 350 8cyl 5.7 TBI, I believe I have the 7.10 ratio but not 100% percent on that. It has a reciever on it, gonna check the specs on that...Just looked at the Ralley forums and see there is one in July down on the Jersey Shore, but that's not to close so if you know anyone in the Fairfield County area of Conn, let me know maybe they will let me come up and take a look at theirs...just ran outside a wrote down the specs of the reciever

4,000lbs max - trailer weight 9500lbs max
400 lbs max tongue load - 1000lbs max
its also has stamped into it 14072675 valley v-5

it already has trailer lights/elect brakes but would I need hydrallic brakes?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Believe you may be a little steep with a 7.10 axle ratio. 3.73 was standard, 4.11 would be the option.

It's good you have a newer Valley receiver, and you can read the tags, the OEM would probably be in pretty rusty condition by now.
Good idea to inspect all the attachment bolts also.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mark so with a weight distribution hitch you could easily tow any airstream. One correction the 25ft did not come with center bath so 27/29/31 would be your only choices. here are the tongue weights.
27ft: 550 lbs
29ft: 635 lbs
31ft: 650 lbs
A/S all have electric brakes, well almost all some had elec/hydraulic but not very many mostly Excella models as an option.
I think the axle ratio you are thinking of is 4.10
Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Trumbull , Connecticut
Well that is really great news, I just have to say that everyone in this forum has been great so far. You have given me more information in the past 8hrs than I would have found in 8 weeks researching on my own. So now I know that I'm looking for a 27' midbath 1960-75/80ish A/S with full confidence that my truck will be able to tow it. Not that I'm narrowing my search, I'm keeping an open mind, but it would be nice to actually get see some and sit/ walk around in them.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mark everything I have been quoting is for the 1975 models. 60's units are a whole other kettle of fish.
Here are some links for you to look at regarding sizes,weights and layouts.
Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Specifications
Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Trumbull , Connecticut
That was a great photo gallery Chris, again thanks so much. The more I look the more the year doesn't matter as condition and price. I am even rethinking the length. To me the 31 footers just look so damn big, I really need to go see some. I think that would really help bring my wife around also. We both have different views on what "beautiful" is lol. She wasn't a big fan of the 79 Scout II I just sold, and we all know how that played out lol. I will just continue to keep my eye out for any get togethers in my area.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
They only look big from the outside.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Panorama
Bak , California
Is there anyone who can tell me the estimated dry weight of a 1955 Panorama, 22 foot?
Suziesilver is offline   Reply With Quote