Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Madison , Indiana
Newbie - Fulltimer Next May

I will be 62 next May and we plan to be ready to fulltime. My wife has retired already. I will turn in my notice at work in November (I am the GM at a small company) & I want to give my employers plenty of time to replace me.

I would like to buy a trailer soon and "practise" so we are not so ignorant. I have been in contruction management for the last 30 years, so I don't back off from much.

I look forward to getting to know everyone, and I am rearing to go!
Dwellstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have any inkling about what sort of trailer you are looking for? Vintage? New? Compact? Spacious? Airstream? Some Other Brand?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Madison , Indiana
Airstream - new - about 25'? Nearest dealer is an hour away. We are only a week into our research.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We live six months a year (snowbirds) in our Airstream, a 2012 Flying Cloud 25B, and would have no problem living in it full-time. But that's us. You need to try some on for size. A 30' can give you two recliners, dinette, and easy to use bed; I think that might be a good idea.

The greatest problem for full timing is storage. Everyone has and accumulates stuff. Many buy huge Rv's so they can drag their stuff all over the country. I thought if I would full time (that won't happen) I would want a place to leave stuff, own or rent a lot and shed somewhere central to our travels. Then you can travel light.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Madison , Indiana
Hello doug k

I don't see well at night and my wife is 5'-0" tall. We are concerned about handling anyting longer than a boat. Any advice for people with zero experience having a 30' trailer?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I pulled a 31 Excella from Chattanooga to Central Illinois on maiden run. No problems at all. Hall it to the lake every spring and home in the fall, ez. Put it in the shop over the weekend for new axles, parked so very ez.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I fully expected you would be advised against anything less than 34'. But you can live smaller. It's up to you.

Over 25' most will advise larger tow vehicles. Great for pulling the trailer perhaps, but those large trucks make lousy daily drivers. Hard on fuel and difficult to maneuver about town. There are some shorter wheelbase SUV's such as Jeep Grand Cherokee, VW Touareg, and Mercedes that are planning or offer small, powerful, and economical diesel engines that are used for trailers up to 25'.

I see many, many full timers with big diesel pickups pulling fifth wheel trailers, and being followed by the wife driving a compact car. Not a desirable setup I would think.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfbllrcks View Post
I don't see well at night and my wife is 5'-0" tall. We are concerned about handling anything longer than a boat. Any advice for people with zero experience having a 30' trailer?
We bought our FIRST trailer last April 2011, a 30 ft. Airstream, and (knowing nothing) have pulled her over 23,000 miles through 29 states and 1 province so far. We learned So Much from the friends and veterans on this forum. We took it easy for the first trips, and still don't 'push the envelope' any day on the road. Lin and I are 65, and having the most fun EVER! You CAN do it. Welcome to the AS family.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Madison , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter

We bought our FIRST trailer last April 2011, a 30 ft. Airstream, and (knowing nothing) have pulled her over 23,000 miles through 29 states and 1 province so far. We learned So Much from the friends and veterans on this forum. We took it easy for the first trips, and still don't 'push the envelope' any day on the road. Lin and I are 65, and having the most fun EVER! You CAN do it. Welcome to the AS family.
What should we be doing in the next 14 months to hit the ground running?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Welcome and good luck!! I am searching right now too! We have never towed anything but, are looking at a 30'. There are driving schools that you can learn from and read threads on this forum about practicing towing, backing up etc. Also, please look around the country for the best deal. We are most likely not going to be purchasing from our local dealer. I have found better knowledge outside of our state, sadly. I am even looking in Canada, Can-Am RV. Since all the orders for new AS right now are the 2013 models, you can get good deals right now for all 2012 models. You need to shop around. And, buy the Newbies Guide to Airstreaming. My husband is reading it as we speak. I have read it and will read it again. Tons of valuable info.

http://airstreamlife.myshopify.com/p...o-airstreaming

Please keep us posted when you make the big purchase and post pics!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
I'd suggest getting to at least two Airstream rally events over the summer, ending with a wonderful event almost directly south of you the first week of January 2013. That one is called The Canopener at Topsail State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL. We went last year for the first time and will go every year we can. The most gracious people open 50-60 of their Airstreams for others to peek inside, ask questions, share stories. We'll be in Space 144 again this year. Come and visit us. In between now and then get in to any AS you can; talk to as many owners as you can.

We just pulled back in from a nice short trip to Asheville, NC; Warm Springs, GA (and the FDR historical site); Perry, GA; Lexington, NC; and home.

On the agenda for this year (so far) is a canoe float down the French Broad near Asheville; Myrtle Beach for the Region 3 Rally; across to Dallas for a meeting; back home;

then Niagara Falls, Bruce Peninsula (Ontario); Northwest Ohio; Western Michigan; across the Midwest to South Dakota; the Tetons; Olympia, WA; the Oregon Coast; southern route back to Kansas City for SkillsUSA; back home;

then out to Northern NM or Northern AZ for a family reunion now in planning . . . other sites still to be determined . . . ending at The Canopener Jan.3-6, 2013.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Madison , Indiana
We have AS and TV!

Ford F-150 Platinum with EcoBoost named Kit

And we will pick up 27' International Signature named Caboodle on Wednesday

After a couple of nights on the dealer lot we will slowly make our way back to Monte Sano State Park, in Huntsville, to stay until next May.

We get to practice winter camping first.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfbllrcks
We have AS and TV!

Ford F-150 Platinum with EcoBoost named Kit

And we will pick up 27' International Signature named Caboodle on Wednesday

After a couple of nights on the dealer lot we will slowly make our way back to Monte Sano State Park, in Huntsville, to stay until next May.

We get to practice winter camping first.
Keep me posted on what you learned on your maiden voyage!! Safe travels!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

1963 26' Overlander
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Enjoy and post up pictures when you can.
KathrynOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Yay for you! Come see us at The Canopener.