Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #1

1957 22' Custom
Itzehoe , Schleswig-Holstein
Newbie from overseas

Hi all, I'm new to this forum...

My name is Lorenz, I live in North Germany. So please excuse me if I make some grammatical mistakes... About ten or fifteen years ago, I bought a vintage Airstream a friend had found at a junkyard in the U.S. It's a 22-foot Custom, s/n O-3404. Title says it was built in 1957. Condition was really bad (to be honest, even worse than very bad...) but I am trying to restore the trailer as close to original as possible. You don't see many vintage Airstreams over here...
The shell was in restorable condition except a steetside area where I had to replace some panels (luckily no curved ones). The frame was broken both sides just behind the tongue, floorpan was heavily damaged and corroded, the entire floor was rotten and the interior was partially missing. Most of the cabinets, all of the electrical and LPG system had to be replaced.
Today, the work is about 90 % done, including mounting a new axle and brake system (according to German registration laws, you are not allowed to use an non-TUEV-approved axle...). With a little luck, I may pull her out of my barn next year and bring her back on the road again

By the way, is it possible to find out who was the former owner? The trailer still carries a WBCCI number (# 27197), and it would be great to get in contact to anybody who could tell me a bit about the past of the trailer.
Don Lorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I really love the 13 panels, you may be able to obtain some info about your trailer here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...ers-48200.html

Good luck with your project

Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hello! I had similar issues with my 65 Sovereign. I think there is a forum that deals with WBCCI #'s unfortunately the numbers were given out pretty randomly. A lot of the older WBCCI #'s were re issued to newer members. Where did your trailer some from?
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Welcome, Lorenz, and you do far better in English than I ever would in German! We'd love to see pics of your Custom!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote