Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Newbie from Ontario

Hi! i am currently in the hunt for a "tin can". It's difficult finding one in Ontario that's affordable. I am looking for one that's in need of love, and is under 3500 lbs, my tow vehicle limit.

I posted a question in another thread by mistake, my apologies, so I will re-post it here. I found a Travelux trailer for sale (the Canadian knockoff of the Airstream),but I am having trouble nailing down the weight of the trailer.

It's a 1972 21' Travelux. The gentleman selling thinks it weighs about 3000 lbs, I have googled it and found 2850 lbs and the brochure that you have on here says 4400 lbs.

I was wondering if anyone owns a 21' Travelux from around the same era, and could tell me the weight?

I love reading these forums and seeing all the different trailers and how they have been restored. I am looking for a (not too difficult) project trailer for the winter.

Thank you in advance,

Natalie

Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
What is your tow vehicle? Weight is a factor in safe towing, but not the only one or even the most important one.

PM Andrew T via this forum for advice. His store is only an hour away from you, south of London on Highway 4 just north of the 401.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
Thanks for the quick response.....my tow vehicle is a Mazda Tribute V6 with the tow package..... The max trailer weight in the manual says 3500 lbs and the other max is 7000lbs (GVWR?)
Old 10-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
The 7000 lbs would be GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating), what Ford recommends as a total loaded weight for car and trailer combined.

With the V6, you have plenty of power to pull 4500 lbs or more. I presume the tow package includes an auxliary automatic transmission fluid cooler, so you should be fine there.

If you have a factory receiver (commonly known as a trailer hitch), it would probably need reinforcing or even replacment unless it is marked as a Class 3 hitch (to 5000 lbs).

Do you have a controller for electric trailer brakes?

The real limitations of your vehicle are going to be related to the high centre of gravity, a relatively short wheelbase, and "tall" tires, all of which will have a negative effect on stabilty. On the other hand, it has independent suspension on all four corners, a short rear overhang, and Mazda-branded vehicles are typically set up for good handling. Again, I think Andy's experience will help you come to a clearer understanding of its capabilities and what you can reasonably achieve.

From this discussion, it should be clear that I see no need to worry about the manufacturer's weight recommendation. (To the best of my knowledge you won't be breaking any laws in Canada or the US by doing this.) Compared to square box type trailers, an Airstream puts a lot less stress on the tow vehicle while towing on a level highway, and stability is superior. Key considerations are a good understanding of the characteristics of both the tow vehicle and trailer, and precise setup of a weight distributing hitch along with suitable sway control.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I will echo Albert's thoughts.

Make the short trip to the Airstream dealer in London. The Travelux is a unique trailer but parts may be an issue. You may find the kind of trailer you want at Can Am and get your vehiucle professionally connected at the same time.

Their site is here.... Can-Am RV > Home