Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
Newbie from middle TN

Just wanted to say a friendly hello to everyone out there. My wife and I decided to take a stab at traveling the country and what better way to do it than in an Airstream! We will absorb all the material we can and then decide which trailer will suit our needs. We are leaning toward an older late 60's early 70's model around 22' - 26', but haven't decided for sure yet. Right now we're just looking!

--Nazz
nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome to the Forums! You will find all you ever wanted to know about airstreams right here. Lots of friendly folks to boot. I got my '68 Trade Wind at the end of last summer and I LOVE IT, I am sure you will love what ever trailer you get.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
I just called this morning on a '68 tradewind, but I missed out by a day. I kinda like that look with the real wood interior. I just don't know if we can do a total restoration on a fixer upper. My wife likes things now. She has no patience and I'm very meticulous, more like anal retentive. So I'm going to try to find one that's pretty much done, and it looks like that'll be hard to find.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You're right on!

Finding a fully restored A/S that anyone is ready to let go of is darned hard... that is unless they've just bought a newer, bigger project.

You may want to look at a newer one for the short term, and the "do it now" style of camping. If you do find a restored one, make sure that it's not just cosmetically restored, but done right as far as frame, floor and systems.

BTW, if you are looking for a larger non-vintage one (31 or 34 footer) there seem to be more of those and they aren't that expensive.

Good luck and WELCOME.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Howdy Neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz300
I just called this morning on a '68 tradewind, but I missed out by a day. I kinda like that look with the real wood interior. I just don't know if we can do a total restoration on a fixer upper. My wife likes things now. She has no patience and I'm very meticulous, more like anal retentive. So I'm going to try to find one that's pretty much done, and it looks like that'll be hard to find.
Welcome nazz300 from a fellow middle TN. Airstreamer right up the road in Tullahoma. Keep your eyes peeled on the forum classified section, the AirstreamList on yahoo Groups, the Tennessean newspaper and on ebay. I bought my '77 Excella 500 off ebay and saw my '86 Sovereign listed on the AirstreamList. After contacting the owner, looking at pictures and getting a personal recommendation from Hunter Hampton, I bought it.

I ran across an immaculate 2003 28' Classic in Fayetteville on the way back from Huntsville, Ala. a month ago. If I was looking for a newer trailer, I would have bought it right then. You never know when you will run into one. One owner of 2 Airstreams lives several miles away from me (I had heard of him) but it took me 7 years to find out his location. Funny, his wife had driven by our house and noticed that I had 2 Airstreams in the back yard at one time. Several weeks afterwards I received an email message out of the blue from the father of my oldest son's best friend. He had just bought a '05 Safari 28'. They're everywhere when you least expect them.

Post on the forum or send me a PM anytime if I can help with any of your questions. Craig Eldridge

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Welome Nazz...you will find all the help you need here...I found my AS mh in the classifieds on this forum...good luck...joe...
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Welcome!

Welcome to the forums!!!! You'll find lots of information here and check the trailers in the classified section> Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. There will be a rally just South of you in Georgia this April why not plan to come down and take a look at a few Airstreams. I don't know if anyone is selling there's but it is a good way to see some older and newer units.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
J.W.L.

2004 25' International CCD
Green Valley , Arizona
Done Lurking

I've been lurking on the sidelines for a while now and decided it's time to log my first post and say hello. My wife Carol and I retired to AZ in 2004 from Cape Ann, Massachusetts. We towed a 17' fiberglass shell "Burro" I built from a kit, which included installing all gas, water, and electric systems, cabinets, appliances, and custom modifications. It was a good start to learn basic RV systems - and learn I did!

We hurried across country to get to our new house in AZ before the moving van - which turned out to be almost 2 weeks late in arriving. To pass the time, we looked around the Tucson area RV dealers. My wife spotted our 2004 25' CCD International (9 months old) in the used section of a dealer's lot. I had been dreaming of owning an AS for several years, and knew right away this was the one for us. It was already equipped with solar panels and charging unit, folding dish/broadcast tv antenna, awnings all around, and many other extras.

Our tow vehicle is a 2004 Ford Explorer with factory installed class III-IV tow package, 3.73 LS rear axle, 4.6L V8. We only have one vehicle and a golf cart, and find the Ford to be an excellent choice for around town/long range driving and tow vehicle. The weight of the loaded AS and TV combo is within factory specs and tows like a dream.

Our first time out with the Ford/AS we drove over the Grapevine pass north of LA in 95+ degree fall heat. This was a real rite of passage for me, and I learned fast what worked and what didn't as far as towing speed and gear selection was concerned. We drove to Lake Tahoe last summer with no problems on those passes. We camp often in AZ's terrific state and national parks. We love living out West.

I have had several minor repair issues on our AS, all repaired under warrenty. Airstream stands behind their product 100%, and we have outstanding dealer service and repair here in the Tucson area.

We are happy and enthusiastic Airsream campers, and are looking forward to get to know you all on line.

JW Lewis
Jerry Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
nazz300 -- Welcome aboard the forum! Hope you find the 'stream of your dreams.

c.j. lewis (and J.W.?) -- Greetings,and welcome to the forums! We are originally from the west and midwest, now transplanted to Massachusetts, and hoping to follow you to the southwest or west in our retirement someday. We look forward to hearing about your experiences and adventures with the CCD 19!

Good luck, and happy Airstreaming!

Doug & Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
J.W.L.

2004 25' International CCD
Green Valley , Arizona
Guess I posted my first message wrongly, got sub headed under someone else's post..
c.j.lewis is my email address, JW lewis is my name.
Thanks for your reply, but how do I fix this?
Jerry Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
Thanks to all who have reponded. I'm like a sponge and absorbing it all in. And a hello goes out to my neighbor Craig in Tullahoma. 2 AS's, huh? I've been looking on eBay. I am an eBay powerseller and I'm on it daily. I sell diamond saw blades so if anyone is looking for diamond tools, I am the diamond blade guru! My wife and I even bought our tow vehicle off eBay, a 2000 Cadillac Escalade.

We are leaning towards a 60's AS in the 25' range. Not sure of the differences in models during that timeframe. We like the mirrored finish and would like to learn how to do it. Can anyone suggest a good how to polish site? I realize you need the proper tools and polishes, and would like to purchase the right ones for doing the job right. Might even like to polish on the side once I get it down right. What do guys usually get to polish one to a mirror finish? Is it so much per foot?

I would also like to go to the rally in GA in April. Any info on where? Thanks for all of your help.

--Nazz
Old 03-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
I just found www.perfectpolish.com through this forum and all I can say is WOW! What a site. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Does anyone make reproduction interior wall panels in wood?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
nazz,
Do a forum search on polishing and they will lead you to all kinds of links. Also, a forum search on Chatsworth or Georgia Mountain Spring Fling will take you to the thread with members who will be going to the rally. It is April 21-23. I'm leaving out the morning of April 20 (Thursday) to get a good site. All info is on that thread, including the GA. park info for reservations.

On polishing, I chose the Rolite pre-polish, Rolite medium grade polish and AP300. I think if I had to do it all over again I would buy Nuvite polishes.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
nazz,
Tom at Perfect Polish is a really nice guy. I never had any problems when ordering polishes or Cyclo items from him.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Thumbs up "Secret source" for finding Airstreams in your area

Try this online advertising source which is the largest printed classified medium in your area....

@ http://www.iwanna.com/

An unnamed volume Seller (who is a Forum member) finds quite a few of the Airstreams that he resells in this publication (from what I gather) ......

I stumbled across it while delivering a 1957 Shasta to South Carolina last week. You can pay to have telephone numbers revealed so you can call the advertiser.

Good luck!
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
You can also try www.RVtrader.com They have a '63 Overlander for $3,600 right now.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end