Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Open Road , Michigan
Newbie from Michigan intro

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Airstreams, RVing, and even most home maintenance but I'm a determined woman ready to learn the ropes! We lost my husband to leukemia 12 days after our twins were born 18 months ago so I am no stranger to a challenge. I haven't been a part of a forum like this for probably 10 years so it may take a bit to get used to everything but I'm told this is the place to go for all the info I will need to get us up and running. I recently purchased our 1973 27' Overlander (Rosie) and do not even have a vehicle to pull her with yet, lol, so that will be the next step. I do not know which systems work yet, other than the outlets and A/C, but she seems to be in pretty good shape, so I am hopeful. My four younger kids and I will be hitting the road for a 9 month journey all over the US (after we spend most of August in Europe, YAY!) so I have to hit the ground running on this! Super excited by the idea of meeting other AS owners along the way, as it seems all my favorite people love my "new" AS as much as me. Nice to meet you! See ya around!

Edited: First SUPER big question.... there is a TON of information, from the looks of it. Can anyone point me in the direction of information specific to an AS of similar/same model/year, etc as mine?
Janisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . welcome to the tribe ! ! Sounds like you have that 'can do' attitude that is essential for hitting the road in a vintage AS. . . good luck, ask a lot of questions ( there are no stupid questions ), and have some fun. . . regards, Craig
Old 06-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
London , Ontario
Hi from Ontario! I love your energy and excitement for the adventure - you're going to have an amazing time! I am also new to the Airstream world, so I can't answer a lot of your questions, but I share your enthusiasm for jumping right in! Safe travels and keep us updated on your journey

Jennifer
Penny Loafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum! While I can't offer anything specific to your questions I can assure you, with help from forum members, just about any question can ultimately get answered.

A nine month trip around the country seems like an awesome, albeit challenging, trip. Wishing the best when you ultimately make the journey, and now!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Congratulations on a wise purchase and way of life!

I am very sorry about your husband but IMO your focus on your family will be great for all. Your kids will long remember the family time and all the great things in our country they visit in your Airstream.

Have fun and be SAFE! We're here to help!
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Look for the Airstream Restoration, Repair, and Parts forums, and then you will see headings for years and models, systems, etc. Welcome to the group! You might look to joining the Airstream Owners Club, and get in touch with people near you, who own similar units, and who can help sort through all the issues you may face. Check it out at www.wbcci.org

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Smile 9 month USA Tour

When you get to Oregon, and if you are near us visiting the Oregon Gardens or Silver Falls State Park (trail of 10 waterfalls), you are welcome to "dock" at our place just out of Silverton. We are on a farm with a creek and a lovely place to park your AS.
Condolences on the loss of your husband. You will be creating wonderful memories for your family. Good for you! It is great fun and totally satisfying to listen to our adult kids reminisce about their childhood adventures.

Dave and Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Open Road , Michigan
Thank you for the welcome! I haven't been around since this first post but I have been very busy preparing since returning from the UK (which was lovely!). To update - I just purchased our TV after selling our house. I know a lot more about our Airstream now but there is much work to be done on her, starting with new tires, so we are still stationary in Michigan while I get Rosie up to speed. We joined WBCCI (I was thrilled when my numbers were available as they are significant to my late husband and me) but I haven't yet figured out how to actually connect with other members, lol...as I said, I have been very busy.
Looking forward to getting my rig safe and on the road soon!
Janisew is offline   Reply With Quote