Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Having used our 24ft Argosy for a few years with just the two of us, plus two dogs, I will chime in to tell you "go as big as you can comfortably tow". We have just purchased a 31ft, because we are tired of crawling over each other and not having a bedroom that is separate and just a bedroom. Couches that do double duty or beds that you have to crawl over someone to get out of, are not fun after a while. Of course we are strickly vintage owners; however, you are in for a wonderful adventure with a new Airstream. Just be sure you try to hold down your excitment and listen to what the dealer tells you on your delivery walk through.

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
U say, I say...

You'll probably want the 25 especially if you aren't planning LONG trips and DO want to Boondock. The walls all curve and on the front and back the lower walls curve IN. At bed top level there is almost a foot between the bed and the front wall. At foot level it's more like 5 inches. I store shoes or spare pillows there, otherwise it's useless. I fulltime and bought my 25 before the 27 model came out. I could USE that extra closet and pantry space.

Bed making: would be much much much easier with twins, it's an athletic event with a 25 queen... one that's made me stop drinking my coffee in bed, so I never have to make a "quick" sheet change. Since I got my new Chevy 2500 truck, I've been thinking about that improved outside access to underbed storage, too. There is so much more I want to keep in the trailer under the bed to increase the tongue weight.

The dinette converts to a very good two-person lounging bed for TV watching or whatever. Many people leave it down all the time and use folding tray tables for eating.

On mine, I don't have the front panos - and am glad for that. I want to sleep in DARKNESS, and that's much easier to achieve without panos. Also - Seriously think about getting 2 fantastic fans. I have the vent in the bedroom and if I have to go without a/c at night, I end up sleeping on the rear gaucho or dinette under my one fan - just too stuffy in the bedroom with only a vent.

GO FOR IT either way!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2016 28' Flying Cloud
2009 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sussex , New Jersey
Think about the 27'

We had much the same delema that you are having. We loved the floor plan of both the 25 and 27 FB's having had a similar floorplan in our previous SOB. The big sell for us was the additional counter space between the stove and the sink. While not a massive area still, it makes all the difference when preparing meals.

We also have the extra Fantastic Fan and wouldn't be without it. The black tank wash is another must have as I like knowing that the tank is washed out completely. Finally, while I would love to have the extra storage space of the twin beds, we haven't gotten to the point where sleeping single is a trade off for storage.

All the best with your decision. You can't go wrong, you're only looking at AIRSTREAMS.
Airstream 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master
You might want to take a look at the Classic line also. We have a 2007 25' Classic It's a floor plan that has been offered for years but now I don't see it on the Airstream site anymore so maybe they've stopped offering it. The things that I like about it better than the FB is, the living area gives a feeling of more space and the twins offer more storge than the Queen as well as room to stand and dress after getting out of the shower. The idea that you back the living area of the FB up to a nicer view I think is somewhat over rated. Also I don't want the bedroom at the road when people are driving by at night or starting their deisels in the morning. These floor plans are very popular right now. so popular that Airstream are soon to offer a 30'Fb
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #19
Georgetown , Texas
Wheelbas vs AS Length

Check out following site:

RV Towing Tips - How long?

You will find a pretty clear rational for trailer length vs wheelbase.

Recommendaton is that max trailer length for a TV with wheelbase of 112" is 20 ft.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Edgewood , New Mexico

Wow, what a great group of people!

Thanks for all of the helpful advice. My wife and I are now starting to feel a lot more comfortable with our plans to purchase an Airstream. We appreciate the benefit of your experiences, advice, and tips.

Our local Airstream dealer, though very friendly when we have visited, usually only has a selection of smaller Airstreams on the lot, so it has been difficult to imagine the differences between the models and options based only on the printed information available. We plan to do some travel over the upcoming holidays and are now looking at making slight deviations to our planned route to take us by a couple of larger Airstream dealers and potentially the Airstream factory. After reading the replies which you folks made to my original post, we now have a good feel for what to look for as we check out the products in real life.

We are now more excited than ever to join the Airstream community and start sharing our experiences with others.

CanyonCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
25 er extra bonus

Here's an advantage to the 25 few people mention.

While layig in bed you can stretch out your leg and turn the lights off with your toe. Now thats engineering excellence!

P.S. For sure get the second Fantastic Fan that is reversible so you can set the bedroom fan to intake and the living room fan to exhaust. That setup really moves the air.

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote