Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Newbie - Awestruck by this website

Hello all, I'm a "newbie". I am so impressed with this website....hardly know where to start looking. Spent hours already, just reading! I've seen a lot of websites....and this is one of the very best focused on a common interest subject. My congrats to the website designer. Well, for starters, I am looking for my first Airstream trailer and something to pull it with.....both used, of course. I'm retired, male, single, over 50.. and in good health. Experience wise, I have owned a 16 ft camping trailer with a Reese hitch and pulled it several hundred miles in western and central Oregon and up into Canada. I need an education about both the Airstream trailer models, layout, etc. and the proper towing vehicle. I'm looking for suggestions on books, articles, buying guides, etc., anything that will get me up to a level of knowledge where my first purchase will not be a disaster!! Initially, I'm willing to spend up to $10,000 for the trailer and $5000 for the tow vehicle. Any help or suggestions would be thankfully received. Thank you for your time. Bill

Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Hi, Bill and welcome to the forums.

If newer is what you're looking for, IOW you don't want to monkey around (like us nuts) with restoring an older coach, I would look hard and long at this one.

25' is the sweet spot between a behemoth and usability. Rear beds are nice, IMO. It looks like it has been well cared for. And not an impossible distance from you.

Hmmm, 5K for a reliable tow vehicle could be tricky, but I would shoot for a 10 year old, low mileage pickup, Tahoe, Suburban or Expedition. Get a two wheel drive model, you'll save a ton of money and won't need it to tow or in 'Bama. I think that a half ton pickup with two wheel drive might just be doable for your price range.

Good Luck and keep us informed of your purchases!

John
John's Camping Blog

Old 04-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Looking for AS

Thanks for the response, John,

I saw this trailer in the classifieds and initially thought it was a possibility.....then I read somewhere on this site that you are not suppose to hang ANYTHING on the rear of an AS,.....not even a bicycle rack!! This trailer has a very large storage box mounted in the rear....nice to have the storage.......but will this extra weight/bulk create a problem? Beats me! Wondering, Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Hi, Bill and welcome to the forums.

If newer is what you're looking for, IOW you don't want to monkey around (like us nuts) with restoring an older coach, I would look hard and long at this one.

25' is the sweet spot between a behemoth and usability. Rear beds are nice, IMO. It looks like it has been well cared for. And not an impossible distance from you.

Hmmm, 5K for a reliable tow vehicle could be tricky, but I would shoot for a 10 year old, low mileage pickup, Tahoe, Suburban or Expedition. Get a two wheel drive model, you'll save a ton of money and won't need it to tow or in 'Bama. I think that a half ton pickup with two wheel drive might just be doable for your price range.

Good Luck and keep us informed of your purchases!

John
John's Camping Blog
Old 04-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I noticed The Big, Big, Box, too. It depends on what is stored in there, and if the coach has been towed a long ways with that on it. Obviously, if the owner kept a garden hose and a towel in there, it won't hurt much. It can probably be removed without much trouble.
As far as a tow vehicle, we bought a 10 year old van with a largish V8 and a tow package, for about $4,000 out the door. It has been very reliable, and useful to carry whatever we want out of the weather when not towing the trailer. Pickups and SUV's right now are going for a ton of money, while a van with virtually identical drivetrain goes for 30%-50% less, for comparable equipment.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Hey, Vans can tow, too!

Terry, thanks for the info. I honestly had overlooked a Van as a possible tow vehicle. But it makes sense....especially at 30-50% less initial investment for comparable equipment. I used to own a GMC window van, years ago....loved it for travel with my family, however I never towed anything with it. That possibility makes my choices a bit broader. Thank you, Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I noticed The Big, Big, Box, too. It depends on what is stored in there, and if the coach has been towed a long ways with that on it. Obviously, if the owner kept a garden hose and a towel in there, it won't hurt much. It can probably be removed without much trouble.
As far as a tow vehicle, we bought a 10 year old van with a largish V8 and a tow package, for about $4,000 out the door. It has been very reliable, and useful to carry whatever we want out of the weather when not towing the trailer. Pickups and SUV's right now are going for a ton of money, while a van with virtually identical drivetrain goes for 30%-50% less, for comparable equipment.