Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Manning , South Carolina
Newbie Argosy 24ft Minuet!!

Hello to All,

We did it. We are officially AS owners. Well, technically Argosy owners but close enough.
Here are the specifics:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think she is beautiful.
Its a 79 24ft. (7.3?) Argosy Minuet. Its in terrible shape and its going to be a huge longterm shell off project.We are not sure but we think a tree fell on her rear end cap. There was a huge crease along the top and side of the rear end cap and the end cap was separated along part of the seam line. There is a big tear beside the door that runs upward and over the door. We are thinking tree limb for the tear. And there are the usual issues associated with having exposure to the outside elements for an extended time.
Friends say we were insane to buy it (it was almost free) and we would be better off to part it out or just scrap it. Of course this is not an option and deep down I think they are just jealous. Ha!Ha! Anyway, my husband loves a challenge, and I love both AS and Argosy trailers. My love for these two trailers comes as a surprise to all because I did not like camping as a kid. Of course, we kids were always made to sleep in tents while the adults chilled out in the campers/motorcoaches. My husband and 12 yr old son both love camping but they prefer the multi-slide generic sort of camper and because of this difference of opinion amongst us, we have never owned one. Until now.... I like to think that my men have seen the error or their ways and joined me in my love for AS and Argosy Trailers and not the possibility that I wore them down.
Both my husband and I have experience in renovation and restoration of old houses (some of which were in much worse shape) and my side of the family have lots of experience with this type of restoration (only its been motorcoaches and buildings). Either way, in for a penny in for a pound because we are both big on save and repair or save and repurpose. So worse case scenario, our Argosy will be turned into a lawn ornament.
We only used duct tape, heavy duty plastic, and portable lights to tow her over 400 miles back to our home and we had no issues doing it. The rear end cap has been removed to see if it could be straightened out. She was covered for a couple of months with a blue tarp but now she is unveiled and this week my husband gutted her, removed interior skins, the wiring, and the bulk of the insulation. It's a work in progress and we are not sure of her final purpose (still kicking around a couple of different ideas). It will be a side project because of our other obligations, but thats ok.
This forum has provided lots of information for us and I'm sure we will be seeking out opinions as we progress. Any advice is welcomed. Well, I'm off to post the pictures. Keep in mind that when I said terrible shape, I meant TERRIBLE!!! Hopefully when you view them, you will see the potential that we do.

Thanks for reading,

Angela & Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1759.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	163249   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1767.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	163250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1768.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	163251   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1771.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	163252  

Cafe Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada

I see the potential - along with a lot of work! Please post more pics as you go!

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Idiot
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Over Yonder , Florida
I'm pulling for you!
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Manning , South Carolina
More Photos

I uploaded more photos. We read on the forums where it was better to start a blog especially with a restoration. More of the before photos are posted there. Not sure if I should also post the photos in this thread but will read more how to's in the morning. In spite of the fact that we have been luking on here over the past few months, we seemed to have skipped over the instructions about posting pictures and replies. So please bear with us.

Angela and Pat
Cafe Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote