Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I should start by making it clear that the dealer has applied for a new title. I'm not sure if some of you thought that I was thinking that I wouldn't be getting a title at all.

Well I've put great deal of thought into this and have read the other threads concerning the troubles with a lost title.
With that in mind I’ve come to the conclusion that
I'm still going to go for it. Here are the reasons:

1. The dealer appears to be a legit new Airstreams dealer that has a large inventory of new airstreams. This deal with my airstream is a relatively small deal for them and I'm sure one that they wouldn't want to jeopardize their good name.

2. I'm paying with a credit card that has purchase protection. If months go by with no title, it should be easy to get the CC company to refund our money and leave the burden of repossessing the trailer up to the dealer. I’ve confirmed this by calling the Credit card company.

3. Both the van and the trailer are currently registered to the seller. So aside from a lien there should be any strange 3rd party issues.

4. Backing out now would cost us $500 in airfare etc. and it could take months to find the right trailer.

Please, if I’m missing something help me out. I think I’m safe but I might be missing something.

So, now I'm not only buying sight unseen, I'm buying against the better judgement of some of you.

Would you give up the $500?
Wexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:18 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Wexus,
Is there a way to put the money in escrow? or at least the part for the item with the missing title? I know in NC you can't put permanent tags on a vehicle unless you have the title. They will give a 30 day set via a dealer based on a bill of sale. I ran into this with a purchase a while back of a gently used popup. Took 90 days to get the title straightened out. I made the dealer keep renewing the 30 day tag, until I got the permanent plates. I don't know how they did it...that was their problem

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #23
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Wexus,
Congratulations!
I bought my Airstream from the largest dealer in Florida. I was told that they had the title in hand. When the deal was done I was told "oops, where is that darn title"

It took weekly phone calls, and 3 months to finally get the original title. I think you should get something in writing.

Take lots of pictures, be safe and have fun.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

I'd pass. Title to both trailer and van are important and I would not trust ANY dealer or individual seller who has not already found or gotten titles before attempting to sell the vehicles. Without titles, you get into a sea of paperwork. If the dealer has waited until now to tell you about the title, what else has he "forgotten" to tell you about the rig? It's early in the year yet, and there will be more Airstreams for sale in our area (Portland/Vancouver) before long. I would rather give up the $500 air fair. Can't you make some sort of deal with the airline to transfer the ticket to later when the dealer may get the titles? That would probably cost some additional fee but I think it would be worth it. If you're looking for a larger Airstream, they seem to pop up in our area more frequently than the smaller ones and they are priced lower than the one you're looking at. Of course, condition is the key and you need a tow vehicle, but at it would be close enough for you to inspect before buying. One good thing: all this advice you're getting is FREE (and worth every penny!) Good luck, Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd agree with Darol and see about transferring that ticket. Once you've paid and picked it up, you're off their radar. Holding out for the title is the only incentive they will have to get it. After they've got their money, it's all your problem.

Also, have you contacted Oregon DMV to find out how you will register it and get temp tags until the title arrives? I figure you have since you seem to be doing your homework.

At this point even $500 is a small part of the total sales amount. Personally I would never agree to buy anything site unseen. The closest I've come to doing that was telling a dealer 'I'll come look, and if it is as you say it is, I'll buy it.' And it was, so I did. But there's always that option to back out. If you get there and find something wrong with it, you have to be prepared to back out and eat the price of the plane trip. There have been a lot of people who have done just that, because sellers can be pretty oblivious to real problems, and folks around here have the horror stories to prove it. And it's possible you might find something wrong that will cost you a lot more to fix than that plane ticket cost to get you there. You're paying a premium price and you should be getting a pretty darn nice trailer. No matter what you've promised, if you get there and it's not as described, you still have to be prepared to weigh out the differences and maybe not make the purchase.

But hopefully they'll find a title soon, and you'll be happily towing home your vintage beauty!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
That really seems like a great find, it would be a shame to lose out on that trailer, but I'm inclined to agree with most folks here - the dealer should have had the titles for each in hand before marketing them. I'd hate to see you fly out there to the tune of $500, discover a major issue with the title (as in it can't be found) and possibly end up having to buy yet another plane ticket home. At the very least I'd think that if the owner lost the title, he should have applied for and received a duplicate before turning the rig over for consignment. This would have saved everyone involved a few gray hairs.

I seem to remember reading about a similar deal to this one, except the dealer was a buddy of the guy consigning a trailer, and there was a lot of foot dragging over lost/misplaced paperwork. Seemed like a really big mess. Not sure how it turned out though....

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Check out this trailer. Go to www.craigslist.com. Click on "Portland" then "cars & trucks" for sale then type in "Airstream" in the search block. There's a '72 31' Soverign for sale with exterior and interior photos. It's local and you could set foot in it before buying. If you need help towing it home, let me know. I'm in Ridgefield, WA. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wexus
Thanks for all the support and advice. We pick her up on Friday.
Did you get the units? I hope everything worked out well...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote