Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Eden

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Newbie/Airstream-1975 31' Sovereign

I am brand new to Airstreams and to this site.
I have come across a 1975 Airstream 31' Sovereign with the mid ship bath and rear (I guess singles or twins-)I don't know what you call them but they sleep 1 person on each side.

I am not sure what I am doing and want to know if this is a desireable layout or unit for that matter?

What are they worth and more important what should I be looking for in terms of problem areas or things to stay away from?

Are most parts readily available for a machine of this vintage?

I really think that I am going to do this because this thing seems so cool!

I am a little worried about biting off more than I can chew though and just want to know how much true knowledge is out and about in this forum?

Many thanks and I look forward to your ideas and comments. I will try to be active and devoted.

Thanks very much,
Eden

Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Hi Eden,

Welcome!!! You will find lots of information here on the forums and I am sure there will be lots of replies to Your posting today.

You will need to check lots of items on an older Airstream to be sure that everything is safe. Look at all the repair forums here and You will get lots of Your questions answered.

Check the tires, axles, brakes etc....to be sure you can safely tow her home before You buy it.

Good luck.....Airstream's Rule!

Steve

Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois

Eden, Welcome to the forums! Prices vary due to condition and area of the country. You may have found a diamond in the rough or a piece of coal. Check out the floor for soft spots (under windows, around bath, and near doorway) also check for rearend separation. This may not be an issue with the coach you have found as it was mainly found on trailers with rear bathrooms or spare tires mounted to the bumper. Do a search using the search tool bar tab above. Use words such as Price vs condition and rearend separation. You will find lots of info here! Post pictures of your find and let us all see what you are looking at. Again, welcome aboard! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Eden

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Talking You guys are GREAT!!!!!

I just wanted to say thanks to Steve and Ed! I can't beleive that there were responses that fast! I am looking at $5,500.

What do you think?

Thanks again for you interest in me and my potential new AIRSTREAM!!!!!

Do either of you know if this is a desireable model?

I will try to get some pictures up ASAP then I just have to figure out how but I will!

Eden

PS - is it possible to have a RIVET Heart!!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Fair price

5 to 7 grand is the price these things seem to be going for if they are in fairly decent condition.

I have a '78 31'er with the same layout you are looking at. The layout and size is pretty much ideal for how I use it.

I enjoy it a lot, but it is a lot of trailer to be towing all of the time if you are looking at only weekend use. Be assured your F-250 is a decent tow vehicle (TV), but be prepared to purchase a good weight distributing/anti-sway hitch. A reliable hitch will set you back from $300 to $500 - less if you find a used one. Now that you are registered you can use the "search" function on the blue pull down bar towards the top of the page. The search function is not very intelligent, but if you ask the questions in the proper way you will be able to find a lot of opinions and information on the subject.

Condition is the key for a "good" buy. By all means, attempt to contact someone local to you who has done a lot of work on older Airstreams. There is a fairly steep learning curve in knowing what to look for - easy to learn, but a bit difficult to comprehend by simply reading about it. Even if you have to "hire" someone, IMHO, you would be money ahead, especially if you do not plan to do the initial clean-up, fix-up and brush-up yourself.

$5500 may be a great buy, or, depending on the condition of the floor, frame, plumbing, and electricals, it may be grossly overpriced. Don't worry about the first one you look at getting away. There are plenty of units from this time era hitting the market all of the time. The best negotiating tool you will have is knowledge of the extent of materials and manhours that will be necessary to get the unit to the point that you will be happy with it.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Trailer Inspectors

Eden, There are people here on the forums that will inspect a trailer for you that have a lot of experience with condition and what to look for in potential purchases. They are all over the country and are willing to do this to help you make an informed decision as to the condition of the trailer you are interested in! Do a search here on trailer inspections and you will find more info than you can shake a stick at! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Eden

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Well, I pulled the trigger and now have the 1975 31' Sovereign.

Thanks for the encouragement earlier today everyone! I went ahead and bought it! It is at the house and these picture were taken about 3 hours ago. These are the first shots of the pride and joy!

I passed this small sign on the side of the road that said AIRSTREAM for sale. So I did not get it at a dealer- Maybe good and maybe bad, I don't know?

I have a few question about the LP tanks on the front. I think they are aluminum and they are in very good condition. Are these original to AS. I don't know what size they are? They are big so I am guessing 40lbs?

The wheels, are these the original wheels they look great and I think they must be newer?

Thanks and enjiy the pics- as promised.

Eden
Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Don't see any pictures yet.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Eden

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodbridge , Connecticut
pics ?

please tell me where the pics will reside. Will it only be where you click on my profile or is there a way to view from the thread itself?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
When you post in the message space, push "Go Advanced" and under the posting box will be a little box "Manage Attachments". Push that and a box will appear that lets you Browse your computed and upload from where you store your pictures like in "My Pictures" on my computer. When you get your pictures in the Browse boxes go down to "Upload" and click on that. Wait till it tells you they are uploaded, then close that box and submit your message. They will be in with the message when it posts. Pictures have a size limit. 640x something. Email size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00460.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	49002  
Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Welcome aboard and best of luck with your new project. Well, I'ld give ya a hard time about jumping so quick, but then again I did the same thing. I have a 73 and it is not without its share of problems. Lots of issues we face are labor intensive, lots of elbow grease and determination. Windows for example, get quite nasty when the film breaks down, but once you get them back in shape all is great. If you want a bad nights sleep, read all the threads on axels...you won't sleep weel until you get to check the angle and be satisfied you have life left in them You have a center bath, so maybe less chance of tail droop. Your aluminium propane tanks are great, but you'll probably need to upgrade the valve heads with the new safety valves (triangluar shut offs mean that is done, otherwise it will cost a bit but should be worth it.)
Two schools of thought...keep it original or customize away. I opt for satisfying yourself first, you're the one sleeping in it. Most will add don't figure money in will be money recovered...these are pretty much like owning a boat Hey, it's only money!
Now the shocking news...if you can get a trailer port built and keep it out of the rain you might be happier. Heck, most of us spend a lot of time hunting down leaks, but you'll find them. Was the trailer in use recently? Mine was on a deer lease and was covered...good thing no major water damage, bad thing it leaked like a syve the first big rain.
Last but not least...you got atleast five thousand pounds? (70s were a bit lighter than newer mods) so if your towing much and not stationary you really want tow vehicle tow range and weight on your side. I may have gone a bit overboard and use a ten thousand pound F350 Ambulance...lets just say the trailer does not push it around much.

You can put pictures into your page or in the site photo gallery. Check out some of the modifications and of course plenty on repair. No question goes unanswered here On top of that, there are just a bunch of great folks here!

rob n terry
Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eden
Thanks for the encouragement earlier today everyone! I went ahead and bought it! It is at the house and these picture were taken about 3 hours ago. These are the first shots of the pride and joy!

I passed this small sign on the side of the road that said AIRSTREAM for sale. So I did not get it at a dealer- Maybe good and maybe bad, I don't know?

I have a few question about the LP tanks on the front. I think they are aluminum and they are in very good condition. Are these original to AS. I don't know what size they are? They are big so I am guessing 40lbs?

The wheels, are these the original wheels they look great and I think they must be newer?

Thanks and enjiy the pics- as promised.

Eden
Eden, Congrats on your rig!! The 40Lb Worthington aluminum tanks were an option, keep your eye on them because if you check out Worthing's site they are now around $200.00 ea. to replace. As for the wheels if they look like the old style race car "slots" than yes they are orginal and pretty much bullet proof. Let us know if we can help you out in any way! Welcome to the community and your new vice.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
Eden

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Pictures

OK I figured it out. pics too large and they all needed to be resized. Used Microsoft Power toys for free.

Here they are.

Thanks for the input,
Eden
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream 016 (Large).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	49026   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 017 (Large).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	49027  

Name:	airstream 018 (Large).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	49028   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 019 (Large).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	49029  

Name:	airstream 022 (Large).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	49030   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 025 (Large).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	49031  

Name:	airstream 026 (Large).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	49032  
Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Wow, what a good looking trailer. When you get the chance, let us see the inside. I don't know what camera you have; however, mine will let me take the smaller pictures that will post right to this site. Saves a little work and computer skills (which I lack). As you can see, our "new" toys look like twins. I have new gas bottles for mine that I will be painting this week end. Also am going to sand and prime and paint the tongue and back storage compartment (inside) The thin metal floor of those things really can rust away if you don't take care of them. You did good. Keep us posted.