Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by eden
OK I figured it out. pics too large and they all needed to be resized. Used Microsoft Power toys for free.

Here they are.

Thanks for the input,
Looks like you bought a good deal, if the inside looks as good as the outside.

The axles are OK.

I would suggest that you check the rear end for "separation." From the photo's it looks like it may have started.

The left rear banana wrap is damaged. The originals were metal. The replacements are plastic, and must be painted.

The only major problem that I could detect, is the entrance door.

It's warped and should be corrected, post haste, since it will allow the simplest of rain to enter, which will cause the floor to rot at the entrance door.

It is also wise to check all the exterior gaskets. They should all be soft and pliable. Also check the sewer vent pipe gaskets. You will need to remove one of the covers to do that. They are held in place with 4 sheet metal screws. Since they last 5 years or so, you should, unless they have been replacee, find them cracked, which allows rain water to get within the walls and on to the floor, again cause rot problems and sometimes even mold.

Installing a "rock guard" over the front windows will not only make the trailer look better, but it will also protect the front windows from rock damage when traveling.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
1975 31' Sovereign
Woodbridge , Connecticut
Rivet Thanks to all!

Thanks to everyone that helped me through this process-
Dragon'nwagon/Rob n Terry

There are so many things to ask and so many things to do. I don't know where to start?

So I am going to ask what is the proper order to evaluate things?

All help is wanted-

eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Checking things out...

Eden, Check all the things that Andy from InlandRV has noted. He is The Authority when it comes to Airstream Vintage trailers! Also make sure you check for soft spots in the floor that I suggested eariler. From the looks of it you got a really well cared for trailer. Be sure to check out all the mechanical systems to determine if they are working correctly. Don't forget that all the water must be drained and blown out of the lines with compressed air to keep the pipes from freezing and being damaged by ice. If you can find a place to store your trailer inside for the winter that would be the best thing to do. Do post some interior pictures and let us see what you have in there! I think you are going to be very happy with your new baby! Now you will need to find out His/Her name! Happy Trails, Ed
1967 Safari Twin "Landshark" w/International trim package
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
beaumont , Texas

I have a 75 like this one, and we love it. I am fairly experienced in airstream repair and restoration. this looks like a decent trailer,, Just make sure the systems work.. plumbing, ac, propane heat etc. This forum is filled with great guys who have vast knowledge. I have never asked a question yet that has not been answered. If you LOVE the trailer, get it. There are not many things that you can not repair.. just depends on you and how much you want to do. If you need one in great condition, look to pay much more than this one.. If I were to sell mine.. it would be 18,000. and worth it. Lots of work and love went in to it. Good luck.. if it feels good to you, do it and welcome to the group. We have volunteer inspectors all over the country. get in touch with one in your area. It may cost a little for expenses, but it might save you from a mistake or verify the deal.. if I was close I wouls be glad to see it for you. I almost bought one in Florida, Kevin checked it for me and I gladly took his advice to pass on it... I really owe him a favor.
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Well don't you know it Eden's total posts are in this thread and her last post was back in 2007.

But if nothing else this thread has good info for anyone else looking to buy their first AS.

Glen & Jane 1969 Airstream 25' Trade Wind
2014 Toyota Tundra
1998 Chevy Tahoe
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
2004 Chevy SSR+ 4 other trailers & 6 other Cars & Trucks
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote