Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

san antonio , Texas
Newbee

My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a airstream dream. Are intent is for traveling and seeing as many parts of the country as possible. I'm looking for opinion when it comes to trailer size for State and federal parks. And getting around in general. Its just me, my wife and are big pup so living space isn't a big deal, but would like it to be as big as possible without limiting on places to camp.
tomtomasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Nags Head , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomasko View Post
My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a airstream dream. Are intent is for traveling and seeing as many parts of the country as possible. I'm looking for opinion when it comes to trailer size for State and federal parks. And getting around in general. Its just me, my wife and are big pup so living space isn't a big deal, but would like it to be as big as possible without limiting on places to camp.

I know motorhomes are limited to 45 feet. I'm not sure about trailers. I think you could check the National Park web site and find out. I'll look if I find out I'll post it.
Jeff K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Well, since you are particularly interested in a trailer I cannot see how motorhome length applies.... But as for trailers... many NPs and some SPs will not accommodate trailers longer than 24', I'm told.
The 22' Sport is ideal for us, queen bed with a convertible lounge/bed and standup shower, pulled with a HD half-ton pickup. (Ram 1500 gasser, but F150s etc would do just as well.)

What have you planned for the tow vehicle?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
We started out with a van and could not get out of each other's way. We then got a 31' and some campsites were too small. Now, I have a 25' and a 34'. On a tour going from place to place we prefer the 25 as it will fit into 99% of campsites and is more maneuverable. When we are going some where we will stay put for a while we take the 34.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

2007 16' Bambi
Martinez , California
Living the dream !! my wife and I have traveled to numerous parts of the country in a 16 foot DWR , plenty a room for us , but we're also high school sweethearts that's been married for over 32 years !
silvershoe is offline   Reply With Quote