Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Los Angeles , California
Newb trying to avoid classic pitfalls

Hi everyone,

I have been a long time reader, lurking, layin in the weeds. I'm finally making progress on the project and hoping to benefit form the Airforum community. I'm the proud owner of a CA model 1962 Globetrotter. I rescued it from a farm and it came gutted and dilapidated, so the price was right!

I've been through the shell off chassis restoration. Didn't opt for the powdercoat, did a good job with the POR 15. and managed to build myself a gantry with some spare materials around my shop. New axle, electric brakes, new rims and wheels. Shell back on but still on shims waiting for that belly pan to wrap the sub-floor and do a final seal.

I've been going at a slow pace but expecting a child next February so need to make some progress and get this project wrapped before then.

I'm looking to the benefit from the collective experience here, because I am a young man I will make mistakes. usually i learn my lesson but it'd be great to get some things right the first time.

For some reason I don't see my first two posts on the forum pages but I see they have had page visits. Maybe this is a new member thing. I'm not a troll or solicitor

I have a bad habit of running on and adding too many ideas to a single thread. Jack of all trades, master of nothing I guess. I see myself as a renaissance man who want to DIY and learn the hard way.

The GT is getting upgraded with the interior of a 2012 flying cloud. The FC is 25' long so to fit it in a 16' cabin, I will sell the queen bed and shower stall. The rest of it though fits remarkably well. It gets tight toward the back, but works. Can't wait to show some pics of the finished product.

I was hesitant to buy the interior but the deal was timely (Nike had gutted a 2012 FC and turned it into a silk screen rig for AYSO). The contractor was sitting on all these appliances and fixtures and everything, so I pounced on a good deal when I saw it. Just months prior I had acquired the project. I knew it would work on paper and have been through the dry fit adjusting the radius of the cabinetry. It is going to work.

I added a grey tank, it is a flat fresh tank from a 70's model, looked like it wouldn't fit by a 1/4" when it got to the moment of truth. 2x4 and a floor jack can be very persuasive. I'm currently on the water system and insulating the sub-floor. Prepared to install a new sheet metal belly pan and drop the shell for a final seal.

LP system should be a breeze. Electrical has me spooked but I'm doing my best to learn what the needs of my appliances are and I have a skilled mechanic at my shop who can do some wiring. While I'm in the walls I'm going to add some homeruns for Solar should I upgrade for boondocking.

Opted against the AC, even though my wife wanted it. I just couldn't compromise the streamline profile of the trailer. It has ten windows and would rather ventilate through the roof.

That's enough about me, anyone have an opinion on adding a few inches of depth to the frame? I started another thread on why I want to. My new axle can handle a few extra pounds of channel metal. Can't see how it is going to compromise clearance or the structure.

I guess this came from wanting my dinette to work and not put the fresh tank up in the interior. I just need more utility space below.
Eartheart is offline   Reply With Quote