Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
Newb, reno '78 Sov

Hello, I'm a newly single mom of 2 very young boys and trying to tackle my airstream renovation. I have a 78 international land yacht who was in need of a full gut when I picked her up due to many animals annihilating the place. It was used as a storage place for various items to include hay.... so you can imagine more than a few issues...
My ex husband (at the time husband) re did the frame (he's a welder), the interior had to be completely gutted, the subfloor was rotten with animal _______. The electrical had to be pulled out bc the wiring had been chewed through in multiple places... it has been an ever loving nightmare and definitely in over my head. I'm stubborn. And I'm military so I'm going to figure it out and complete it. But.... I would love anyone's feedback and advice along the way bc I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I've been researching quite a bit on this site and it seems to be a really awesome community and would love some guidance. There's a reason why we had gotten this... unfortunately that reason is now null and void due to our divorce but I want to finish it now to have something pretty awesome not only for my sons and I to take our family vacations and make as many memories as possible in, but when I separate from the Navy I'm looking at us staying in it short term while house hunting in a new location... if i can finish it by then...
glad to "meet" everyone and please, help if you can 😣😣😣
New2thishelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi and welcome. Sadly my technical skills and know-how are really no-how...so I can't be of much help with your restoration. But I wanted to say there are many exceedingly talented folks here who can guide you through and there are tons of information already laid out in threads that may be of help to you.

Wishing you and your family the best here on out!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

Your Airstream experience is actually quite common--the reality is that most of these vintage trailers need a shell-off, but it can feel crushing as you come to that realization, especially if you thought you would change the drapes and paint a little and be on the road.

Anyway, sounds like you are well on your way. If you have questions, they have likely already been asked and answered. I find that doing a google search from outside the forums with your search terms plus "airforums" usually is the most effective way to find things. But, if you don't find what you need, just ask.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Unless you are willing to spend $20K or more in renovation costs it will be almost impossible to put your rig back to being road worthy.
IMHO you should sell what you have then look for something that is a lot less work, time and money.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! Sorry it has turned out to be a baptism by fire.

What percentage of the restoration work would you "ball park" has been completed? If you are in the 10-30% range, I would cut bait and sell.

If 40-75% done, how many hours and dollars are you willing to spend, and within what time frame? Labor hours greater than 1,000 would be easily possible, with costs of $20k as TG Twinkie just suggested could be a bare minimum IMO. Doing the work part-time, if you are also working full time and caring for the kids, you could be talking about 2-4 years of restoration work, if not more.

If the AS is already more like 90% restored, a different logic might apply.

To get good advice here, I think you need to be more specific about the data points above.

Dreams die hard, but a stubborn denial of reality can turn a bad dream into a nightmare.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I think Peter makes some really good points. It depends on how far along the project is and how much you are will to commit to finishing it.

Could you post some pictures?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Some folks have posted about their rebuilds over time where they used the coach as an aluminum tent while they saved enough to build everything they want in their coach.

Guiding principle - do it yourself - make it when you can - buy it only when that is only way to get it done safely and produce a safe coach.

Guiding principle - do it safe - tools can hurt you - heavy things can too

Step 1 - get it clean
Step 2 - get it sealed and dry - windows, doors, roof/skin seal, floor
Step 3 - make it safe to tow - tires, axles, brakes, lights, hitch & tow vehicle
Step 4 - make it functional and safe to use - elect, plumb, gas, tanks & vents
Step 5 - make it yours - furniture and fluff

At some point in time, you need to measure your skills, budget and time against the tasks required. Based on that consideration decide to complete or sell. Time may be the issue as there is no reason you can't learn to do all. Can't believe a coach used for feed storage will not be improved by your efforts. Just accept that your results need not be perfect, just functional, dry and safe.

Good luck with your project. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Being stubborn can be a great trait; it can also be your worst trait.

I would if I were you, I'd find an Airstream "expert" near your area that you could contact to appraise the project, your DIY skill sets and finacial ability to complete the project. Be prepared to hear them out as they will honestly appraise your ability to complete this monumental task; on top of the monumental task of being a single Mom to two young boys; all the while serving your country.

These projects tend to take three times longer than expected and end up costing three times the budget.

IMHO It soulds like you have too much on your plate to begin with.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Being stubborn can be a great trait; it can also be your worst trait.

I would if I were you, I'd find an Airstream "expert" near your area that you could contact to appraise the project, your DYI skill sets and finacial ability to complete the project. Be prepared to hear them out as they will honestly appraise your ability to complete this monumental task; on top of the monumental task of being a single Mom to two young boys; all the while serving your country.

IMHO It soulds like you have too much on your plate to begin with.

Cheers
Tony
Sometimes the best advice isn't what you want to hear. Tony nails it here. You'll be sooo much better off in the long run, financially, mentally, and actual "use time" if you were to sell your rig then buy one in useable condition but needs some work. You've got a great deal on your plate already! Sure appreciate your tenacity but for those that have been through these rigs top to bottom, it's a HUGE undertaking. Especially while trying to raise the boys and serve your country. Thank you for your service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there, tough times right now for you.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree with the idea that this is an enormous undertaking for you, and that selling may be your best option.

Not all dreams are realizable at the moment, some simply must be delayed while dealing with other priorities.

As a young and working single mom of two once upon a time, myself, I know that this is a huge and labor intensive job.

I wouldn't add renovating an old motor home to your to-do list right now, honey, especially since you yourself do not have the skills to do this.

Focus on creating a stable life for yourself and those kids, and look for something more useable after you are thru the first year or two.

Good luck to you, and thank you for your service.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
You can do it if you put your mind to it. Everything you need to know is right here to do the restoration. Skills can be researched and learned on youtube. One eats an elephant 1 bite at a time. As said before : Clean it up, get it sealed, Make it towable. The rest is just time and money. One thing's for sure; if you DO decide to move forward on this restoration, you will soon be one of the EXPERTS on this forum teaching others like an old pro!!!

Go for it!
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:44 AM   #12
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandollars View Post
You can do it if you put your mind to it. Everything you need to know is right here to do the restoration. Skills can be researched and learned on youtube. One eats an elephant 1 bite at a time. As said before : Clean it up, get it sealed, Make it towable. The rest is just time and money. One thing's for sure; if you DO decide to move forward on this restoration, you will soon be one of the EXPERTS on this forum teaching others like an old pro!!!

Go for it!
Well said!

Please let us know how you plan to proceed!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Unless you are willing to spend $20K or more in renovation costs it will be almost impossible to put your rig back to being road worthy.
IMHO you should sell what you have then look for something that is a lot less work, time and money.
$20k is about right. I am over that figure with my Caravel and almost done. I could have done it cheaper, but elected to go high end with finishes and fixtures. Also includes new major components such as ac, axles, toilet, appliances, fixtures, electrical, lighting, etc.

good luck
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
Pam and I took on fixing up a 72 23' Safari. We had no prior knowledge of what or how to go about what it would take to fix it up. We had a limited budget and time. This forum was my resource for everything we did plus a few trial and error and believe me lot of errors. We now have a very comfortable camping trailer. It might not be the prettiest but it is very comfortable.

A couple things if you decide to take it on. For me if I reached a frustration point I would walk away for the day. The next day I had a new fresh outlook. Another very important thing is to focus, focus, focus. If you are working on lets say windows for example, just work on windows don't be distracted by the 100 other thing you need to do, just windows! Make a list of the days plan and stick to it! Eventually you can make a bigger list and things will come together.
One more thing Research, Research, Research. Get as many pointers from the forum and you will find what works best. Good luck!
Here is a link to our restoration.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f420...ted-98384.html
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
$20k is about right. I am over that figure with my Caravel and almost done. I could have done it cheaper, but elected to go high end with finishes and fixtures. Also includes new major components such as ac, axles, toilet, appliances, fixtures, electrical, lighting, etc.

good luck
Could you also let us know when you started your renovation, and what your total labor hours have been? Were you working a full-time job during this project, or were you able to devote some of the work week to the Airstream? [Edit see PS and quote below.]

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Your April 2016 thread for everyone's information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f137...er-149850.html

In early May 2017 you commented in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I concur that starting from scratch on one of these trailers requires a considerable amount of time and money invested. I purchased my Uncle's '67 Caravel that was in decent shape with the intention of doing a mild refresh. Well, one lead another and I gutted it and am approaching the renovation/restoration finish line one year later and about $10k (not including purchase price) in total cost...maybe more. All the work done by me (except upholstery, granite, and SS countertops).
Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2thishelp View Post
. . .
.... I would love anyone's feedback and advice along the way . . .
. . .
Wondering if you are still monitoring and thinking of undertaking this project?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
Smile Hi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pams72 View Post
Pam and I took on fixing up a 72 23' Safari. We had no prior knowledge of what or how to go about what it would take to fix it up. We had a limited budget and time. This forum was my resource for everything we did plus a few trial and error and believe me lot of errors. We now have a very comfortable camping trailer. It might not be the prettiest but it is very comfortable.

A couple things if you decide to take it on. For me if I reached a frustration point I would walk away for the day. The next day I had a new fresh outlook. Another very important thing is to focus, focus, focus. If you are working on lets say windows for example, just work on windows don't be distracted by the 100 other thing you need to do, just windows! Make a list of the days plan and stick to it! Eventually you can make a bigger list and things will come together.
One more thing Research, Research, Research. Get as many pointers from the forum and you will find what works best. Good luck!
Here is a link to our restoration.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f420...ted-98384.html
I just read your entire thread (taking breaks to feed baby, do laundry etc lol). Thank you for sharing, you guys did an awesome job. I find it pretty funny our anniversaries are the same day (Halloween) only, my year is 15. You didn't finish the thread though. Did you get your AC and belly pan completed? Hope all is well and thank you for being so detailed in your thread. Hope all is well!! Thank you for your words of encouragement
I was stationed in Bremerton for a bit... so you're a trooper for doing all this in the constant drizzle ya'll have out there!
Old 07-09-2017, 02:13 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
I'm doing it...

Hey ya'll sorry for being MIA. between reading the replies, research, kids and work... Haven't had much time to just sit and write... (I know, wtf am I thinking then...)

I really appreciate everyone's comments and inputs. I don't get sensitive about hearing (or reading) what I don't want to... I should've been more specific in my original post. I bought 90% of all the supplies (down to RV washer and dryer, PEX plumbing etc) for this thing. I just need to figure out how to install everything... I definitely should've started with that, my apologies. That being said, I will complete it because, yes, that pretty little number mentioned a couple times in the replies is roughly where I'm at. Hence why I'm adamant about finishing it.
Do I have to start a new thread for the renovations or can I roll with this one? Not sure of the rules on here.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:16 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
I'm doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if you are still monitoring and thinking of undertaking this project?

Thanks
I'm doing it. Call me stubborn or crazy. Maybe it's my personality to see things through or the military embedding that trait in me - either way... I'm going to complete it. I might not want to look at it by the time I'm done... but it'll be done
Old 07-09-2017, 04:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
There are many variables that need to be assessed in such a project. It could become a family-maker or a family-sinker depending on the personalities and interests involved. You say your sons are very young now, but the amount of work you're talking about sounds like a long-term commitment. If they were to become interested in participating as they get older, it could become a good family-centered activity. Or it could take valuable time away from them if they proved not to be interested. (If there's one thing I learned thoroughly about parenthood, it's that one cannot force a child to like any particular activity even though logically it seems like they SHOULD like it at least to some extent, given its context within the family).

I was a single Mom for seven years and I would never have tackled such a project during that period of my life -- and I'm irrationally ambitious. As it was, to have a full-time job, almost full-time childcare duties, and high domestic and personal standards (such as refusing to skimp on my own physical fitness and refusing processed foods - I cooked nearly 100% of our meals)... doing the work of two parents by itself meant routinely putting in 16-hour days. There simply wasn't time for anything else.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote