Old 07-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
$20k is about right. I am over that figure with my Caravel and almost done. I could have done it cheaper, but elected to go high end with finishes and fixtures. Also includes new major components such as ac, axles, toilet, appliances, fixtures, electrical, lighting, etc.

good luck
Could you also let us know when you started your renovation, and what your total labor hours have been? Were you working a full-time job during this project, or were you able to devote some of the work week to the Airstream? [Edit see PS and quote below.]

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Your April 2016 thread for everyone's information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f137...er-149850.html

In early May 2017 you commented in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I concur that starting from scratch on one of these trailers requires a considerable amount of time and money invested. I purchased my Uncle's '67 Caravel that was in decent shape with the intention of doing a mild refresh. Well, one lead another and I gutted it and am approaching the renovation/restoration finish line one year later and about $10k (not including purchase price) in total cost...maybe more. All the work done by me (except upholstery, granite, and SS countertops).

Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2thishelp View Post
. . .
.... I would love anyone's feedback and advice along the way . . .
. . .
Wondering if you are still monitoring and thinking of undertaking this project?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
Smile Hi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pams72 View Post
Pam and I took on fixing up a 72 23' Safari. We had no prior knowledge of what or how to go about what it would take to fix it up. We had a limited budget and time. This forum was my resource for everything we did plus a few trial and error and believe me lot of errors. We now have a very comfortable camping trailer. It might not be the prettiest but it is very comfortable.

A couple things if you decide to take it on. For me if I reached a frustration point I would walk away for the day. The next day I had a new fresh outlook. Another very important thing is to focus, focus, focus. If you are working on lets say windows for example, just work on windows don't be distracted by the 100 other thing you need to do, just windows! Make a list of the days plan and stick to it! Eventually you can make a bigger list and things will come together.
One more thing Research, Research, Research. Get as many pointers from the forum and you will find what works best. Good luck!
Here is a link to our restoration.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f420...ted-98384.html
I just read your entire thread (taking breaks to feed baby, do laundry etc lol). Thank you for sharing, you guys did an awesome job. I find it pretty funny our anniversaries are the same day (Halloween) only, my year is 15. You didn't finish the thread though. Did you get your AC and belly pan completed? Hope all is well and thank you for being so detailed in your thread. Hope all is well!! Thank you for your words of encouragement
I was stationed in Bremerton for a bit... so you're a trooper for doing all this in the constant drizzle ya'll have out there!
Old 07-09-2017, 02:13 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
I'm doing it...

Hey ya'll sorry for being MIA. between reading the replies, research, kids and work... Haven't had much time to just sit and write... (I know, wtf am I thinking then...)

I really appreciate everyone's comments and inputs. I don't get sensitive about hearing (or reading) what I don't want to... I should've been more specific in my original post. I bought 90% of all the supplies (down to RV washer and dryer, PEX plumbing etc) for this thing. I just need to figure out how to install everything... I definitely should've started with that, my apologies. That being said, I will complete it because, yes, that pretty little number mentioned a couple times in the replies is roughly where I'm at. Hence why I'm adamant about finishing it.
Do I have to start a new thread for the renovations or can I roll with this one? Not sure of the rules on here.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:16 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
I'm doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if you are still monitoring and thinking of undertaking this project?

Thanks
I'm doing it. Call me stubborn or crazy. Maybe it's my personality to see things through or the military embedding that trait in me - either way... I'm going to complete it. I might not want to look at it by the time I'm done... but it'll be done
Old 07-09-2017, 04:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
There are many variables that need to be assessed in such a project. It could become a family-maker or a family-sinker depending on the personalities and interests involved. You say your sons are very young now, but the amount of work you're talking about sounds like a long-term commitment. If they were to become interested in participating as they get older, it could become a good family-centered activity. Or it could take valuable time away from them if they proved not to be interested. (If there's one thing I learned thoroughly about parenthood, it's that one cannot force a child to like any particular activity even though logically it seems like they SHOULD like it at least to some extent, given its context within the family).

I was a single Mom for seven years and I would never have tackled such a project during that period of my life -- and I'm irrationally ambitious. As it was, to have a full-time job, almost full-time childcare duties, and high domestic and personal standards (such as refusing to skimp on my own physical fitness and refusing processed foods - I cooked nearly 100% of our meals)... doing the work of two parents by itself meant routinely putting in 16-hour days. There simply wasn't time for anything else.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
The folks here can help you with almost everything on the trailer, but you have to handle your family, job, and time management. Put your kids first, no question. Do your job so the rest of us can be safe in this country--many thanks for that. Budget your free time (if any) so that the work on the trailer can be done. Nothing says you can't give it a try, and sell later if you find that you just don't have time to work on the project.

If you will post some pictures of the work done so far, you'll help us to help you. While you're at it, post some pics of those kids. I'll bet they're pretty cute.

The portal page has a section at the lower right where you can find volunteer inspectors. They usually help people who are evaluating an Airstream they propose to buy, but there's no reason they can't help you figure out what needs to be done next on yours. Be careful. Not all RV "experts" know anything about Airstreams.

As to the skills needed, just go ahead and learn. The folks who can teach you should be present on a Navy base and may already be your friends.

Best of luck.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the reply.

Go for it!

And good luck with your project.

Peter

PS -- On your question of where to post about the renovation work, I might suggest this 1974-1979 Sovereign sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221/

At the top left is a button for "New Thread" but be careful with the title of the thread because you cannot go back and correct typos, like you can edit the posts for 10 minutes.

There are also lots of Repair sub-forums, so maybe this general list of topics would be a good place to pick a specific sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f3/
Old 07-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
Quote:
I just read your entire thread (taking breaks to feed baby, do laundry etc lol). Thank you for sharing, you guys did an awesome job. I find it pretty funny our anniversaries are the same day (Halloween) only, my year is 15. You didn't finish the thread though. Did you get your AC and belly pan completed? Hope all is well and thank you for being so detailed in your thread. Hope all is well!! Thank you for your words of encouragement
I was stationed in Bremerton for a bit... so you're a trooper for doing all this in the constant drizzle ya'll have out there!
thank you for the kind words. We have Not finished the belly pan or put new air conditioner in. My plan is to do the air conditioner sometime in the next year and do the belly this fall. Keep us posted on your progress we love watching projects come together. Take your time. Again good luck you got this.
Pam and David
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Hey ya'll sorry for being MIA. between reading the replies, research, kids and work... Haven't had much time to just sit and write... (I know, wtf am I thinking then...)

I really appreciate everyone's comments and inputs. I don't get sensitive about hearing (or reading) what I don't want to... I should've been more specific in my original post. I bought 90% of all the supplies (down to RV washer and dryer, PEX plumbing etc) for this thing. I just need to figure out how to install everything... I definitely should've started with that, my apologies. That being said, I will complete it because, yes, that pretty little number mentioned a couple times in the replies is roughly where I'm at. Hence why I'm adamant about finishing it.
Do I have to start a new thread for the renovations or can I roll with this one? Not sure of the rules on here.

You don't have to start a new thread, but I would strongly suggest you do so. The title of this thread may not draw the type of assistance that you are seeking. Something titled "Renovation of 1978 Sovereign" or similar will draw more attention from the members who can really help.

If you would prefer, I can change the title of this thread for you. If you want to do this, let me know what you would like the title to be.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #25
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
If you post some pictures of how it is right now, and a list of what you want (eventually) as far as electrical items, you might get some good suggestions in return.

My suggestion is sketch out on paper for reference, keeping in mind you have a 110 volt system, and a 12 volt system. Not to mention, wires for your vehicle lights (markers, tail, stop/turn and back up). Then, go at it one section or circuit at a time, and label those wires with what will be connected to it later on.
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yes, the title of your thread is somewhat misleading. No one died.

However, this kind of reno may kill you.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Yes, the title of your thread is somewhat misleading. No one died.

However, this kind of reno may kill you.
I'm sorry that my divorce while pregnant wasn't up to your standards of a sad story lol I titled it how I felt like it. Move along.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Newport , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
If you post some pictures of how it is right now, and a list of what you want (eventually) as far as electrical items, you might get some good suggestions in return.

My suggestion is sketch out on paper for reference, keeping in mind you have a 110 volt system, and a 12 volt system. Not to mention, wires for your vehicle lights (markers, tail, stop/turn and back up). Then, go at it one section or circuit at a time, and label those wires with what will be connected to it later on.
I would've done that ... my ex however didn't when he took it all apart. So I have the joy of figuring it out. I actually downloaded all my pictures today so as soon as I have a second to get on my computer, I will. Thank you