Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Lake Worth , Florida
Newb from South Florida - 1970 Overlander

Hey guys! Hunched over my laptop for hours every night for the past few months clicking back and forth between classifieds and reading up on threads here, I'm stoked to be finally posting a new member thread while looking at her sitting in my driveway through my window.

I've always dreamt about getting myself in a camper and driving around exploring america, but never thought I would be able to own an airstream, let alone be in a position to just let go and leave. Early this year, I decided to quit my "dream job" and go off on my own, juggling my options of different campers. After going buying 2 vintage vw campers with the plan to restore and take off, although they were super cool, I talked myself into why not just really go for it and get what I've always dreamed of, that's the whole point of this anyways right? Live the dream?

Well after finally selling the vw campers, I was able to hook up with a guy a couple months ago in north carolina who had a listing "Airstream 1970 Overlander 27 foot... sale or Trade" , figured I give it a shot and offer him my harley and a flat screen tv. 2 months, a dozen text messages, and some detailed videos later, DEAL! Gave him some cash for new tires and gas, then he drove it himself down from NC and parked it in to my driveway last night!

Ok, now for some photos:

And now the era correct tow vehicle, my 1970 c10 lwd:

Will be get some pics of the 2 girls together soon!

In the meantime, I have only 3 months before my lease is up and that's the timeframe I'm giving myself to do this renovation on the airstream. My goal is to use the airstream as my full-time residence/mobile office with my significant other and 2 cats. Should have my "restoring a dream" in the mailbox tomorrow so I can get a jumpstart on the renovation this weekend, tearing down the inside and guts. Would love to hear any other book/guide/blog recommendations that people have. Right now I have about 20 bookmarks of youtube videos and blogs I'll be referring to, and have also been trying to find a local airstream guy, although I've come up empty so far. Also should be finished with my 3d sketchup model I've been working on complete by tonight that I'll also post on here.

If anyone has a digital copy they can email me, or print I can purchase of a manual for this year/model airstream I would greatly appreciate it. I'll keep digging through the forums/interwebs if not. Thank you guys in advance for the help I know this community offers, I look forward to connecting with as many of you on here as possible!

helluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looks beautiful, make her water tight and road safe then enjoy.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. She looks pretty good, nice and shiny, a good start. Good luck on your project
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:23 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase and the leap from lurker to active poster. Glad to have you with us.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Beautifulllllll! I'm new too, with a 1970's model. Right along with you on that journey.

Blessings,

Amie
Rege is offline   Reply With Quote