Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeroxyrun View Post
Ack! We spent hours at Colonial today and looked at everything from the 20' Flying Cloud on up. Now we're seriously considering a 30' Flying Cloud they showed us or the 28' FC or Serenity.

We had never imagined those sizes, we thought 25' tops. Are we nuts for trying to go so big w/no towing experience? Sooo confused now...
Buy one of each!

Wait a few days to let all those thoughts settle out. Take your time. You're either going to have this thing a long time, or not be satisfied and take a financial bath trading for a different one. I know it's hard to be patient once you start looking, but it's the best thing.

Gene

Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
We had a motorhome, several SOB trailers, and decided a few years ago to go with a Safari 25SS that we purchased new. We are extremely happy with the purchase and went with the 25' as the perfect mix of size and function. Additionally, there is a 25' limit at some National Parks.

Colonial is a great dealer -- good hunting.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Relax, take a deep breath.

Quote:
Ack! We spent hours at Colonial today and looked at everything from the 20' Flying Cloud on up. Now we're seriously considering a 30' Flying Cloud they showed us or the 28' FC or Serenity.

We had never imagined those sizes, we thought 25' tops. Are we nuts for trying to go so big w/no towing experience? Sooo confused now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Buy one of each!

Wait a few days to let all those thoughts settle out. Take your time. You're either going to have this thing a long time, or not be satisfied and take a financial bath trading for a different one. I know it's hard to be patient once you start looking, but it's the best thing.

Gene
Hi, Gene is right. "Take your time." We spent three years looking at Class "C" Motorhomes before we switched to for shopping Airstream trailers. Then we spent another three years sizing things up, checking all of our options, searching for our nice used 25'er W/Queen bed arrangement, and in the end we decided on buying a new trailer. [we were unable to find a nice clean used trailer anywhere] This is, and will be, our one and only trailer; We will not trade up, down, or sideways. The only way this trailer will be replaced is if something bad happens to it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
we bought our current trailer with traveling in mind.only use this trailer when time allows,but wanted to get a size that wife and i thought that we could travel in for possibly 3 months at a time.the layout of this trailer has the large closet across from the bathroom which my wife felt was a neccessity.had a 28 safari before this trailer and towing between both trailers is the same with no noticable difference.opted for the trailer with out the slide since i didnt want the extra weight since i will be going distances with this trailer.check these trailers out at colonial since they have enough selection to check out all layouts currently offered.this is the 2nd new trailer i have bought from them.take your time and hang out in some of the trailers until you find the model that feels right for you.with the 31 the wife can be sleeping and i can watch tv in the front of the coach,without bothering her.i towed both airstreams with a 3/4 ton diesel.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Kirkwood , Pennsylvania
I have a 2000-30' Airstream Excella in mint condition that would be perfect for full-timing.
We have a 2004-30' that we purchased and do not need two Airstreams. We are located not to far from you here in Southern Lancaster County, Pa.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Gene is right. "Take your time." We spent three years looking at Class "C" Motorhomes before we switched to for shopping Airstream trailers. Then we spent another three years sizing things up, checking all of our options, searching for our nice used 25'er W/Queen bed arrangement, and in the end we decided on buying a new trailer. [we were unable to find a nice clean used trailer anywhere] This is, and will be, our one and only trailer; We will not trade up, down, or sideways. The only way this trailer will be replaced is if something bad happens to it.
Six years! Bob is very, very careful. Despite my belief you should take your time, we spent about 6 weeks reading books on RV's and reading about Airstreams on the Forum, then went to look at some at one dealer, went home, went to another dealer weeks later, and bought one. In the middle of an almost 2 1/2 month process, we bought a new truck too.

We narrowed it down to several possibilities at the first dealer (salesman was a jerk), read some more, talked, then looked at a smaller range of possibilities at dealer 2, left, talked some more, came back later in the afternoon, looked at 2 models (25 and 27 FB), and decided on the 25' FB. I still think the 27' has some advantages, but the disadvantages equal out and why pay more for an equal choice? We went through a very deliberate process. At times it was overwhelming, but we sorted our way through it.

Dealer 2 was worse than the first one. The salesman wasn't so bad, but everything else about the place was awful. Picking a dealer is also important. Colonial seems to get a lot of positive feedback here.

Gene
Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we looked at three dealers in Southern California; We also had a jerk salesman. I searched on the internet almost daily. We drove quite a few miles [hundreds] to check out the 25' Airstreams. I didn't like what I was seeing. We still were locked onto a 25'er, but the search wasn't going too well. We wanted a queen, but I was willing to change a twin into a queen. [no six sleeper] Finally we decided to forget looking for a nice used 25'er and start looking for a new one. We had one jerk salesman, one dealer that wasn't dealing, and another that didn't have what we wanted. Finally, I found George Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon. We placed an order with a decent discount, got some free-bees, and a big bonus.........No Sales Tax. This all added up to one fantastic deal. Our first trip was from Eugene to Lakewood; This was a great first vacation in our new trailer. I found and joined this forum several months after we became Airstream owners.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Welcome to the forums!

That's a tall order to ask someone what size is perfect for a newbie. What are you comfortable with and where will you be going? Main roads and parks with pull throughs, or every winding back country town with State Parks and lotsa trees?
I started 40 years ago with a 22" motorhome loved the ease going anywhere and the last 6 years had a 35 and then a 40 foot diesel pusher. I finally realized the 40 was great sitting still but towing a car and trying to wander down out of the way places like Lancaster has was a chore. Then I fell into a 22 vintage open floor plan Airstream and after restoring it recently completed a 2 1/2 week 2,000 mile trip and am enamored with it, coulda bumped my head, wait a minute I did. Ideally something with a rear full bed a mid-bath and a front couch would suit me but then the added length and TV change would be needed.
Keep getting into them and sitting for sometime and you'll land on something. You'll either like it or not but you can always change later, be sure to get a TV that will do a 30' anything smaller will be a breeze to tow.

Good luck
Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

Hi there, and welcome to airforums.com!

First off, we're all crazy on this bus, and that seems to be a given. But it's a friendly kind of crazy, so feel at home.

And no, I don't think you are crazy for realizing that more actually IS more, when it comes to trailer size.

In an AS, more length usually means more water and waste tank capacity, more square feet of bed, more storage, and you may have already noticed that you don't have to choose between a dinette and a couch, in the biggest ones you get both.

I am obviously going to be biased, since I have a 31-footer, but I can't imagine spending a lot of time in anything smaller. And I don't full-time!

Last point: I don't recall hearing many people on here saying that their trailer is just too big, but the opposite seems to be heard from time to time... There's even a name for it: "twofootitis". "If we only had two feet more!"

Anyway, the advice to take your time and look at (and sit in) as many as you can is the absolute best way to be sure you make the right choice.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Longer is more...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
And no, I don't think you are crazy for realizing that more actually IS more, when it comes to trailer size.

In an AS, more length usually means more water and waste tank capacity, more square feet of bed, more storage, and you may have already noticed that you don't have to choose between a dinette and a couch, in the biggest ones you get both.

I am obviously going to be biased, since I have a 31-footer, but I can't imagine spending a lot of time in anything smaller. And I don't full-time!

Last point: I don't recall hearing many people on here saying that their trailer is just too big, but the opposite seems to be heard from time to time... There's even a name for it: "twofootitis". "If we only had two feet more!"
Hi, while most of the features of the "MORE TRAILER" are as stated above, the one big thing that wasn't mentioned was the MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Not all of us are Airstream Millionaires.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Ack! We spent hours at Colonial today
Well - you are at least at the right dealer - listen to them as they are great folks and you won't go wrong!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Hah...my dealer was our dentist. He just scratched his head and said well I'll sell her to you for what I paid for her. He did too. I asked him are you sure you want to sell this? He said...no I really like it but I don't have time for it anymore.

My advice is to listen to your own hearts on your purchase, only you can know what you like. These guys are right, no point in rushing into anything. You should just go camping in a rental for a weekend and see how you feel about it. You should also find someone with a rig you can tow around and let them teach you in a big empty lot with some cones in it. I was lucky enough to learn at the large vehicle operator's school at Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri. I've towed plenty of things bigger than our Airstream so I forget that most people have never towed anything. If you will be traveling daily then you should place a lot of emphasis on your towing preferences. If you plan to park this thing in one place and live in it for months on end you should focus on the interior living space.
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, while most of the features of the "MORE TRAILER" are as stated above, the one big thing that wasn't mentioned was the MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Not all of us are Airstream Millionaires.
Very true, Robert, that's one of the reasons I bought used. The older larger trailers go for far less than the smaller ones.

The other reason is that I didn't have the money!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
A new owner of a used 30 Excella, first Airstream, but not the first camper. Last unit was a 20' fifth wheel and pulled a boat behind that. Do a lot of fishing and hunting. Thrilled with my Airstream so far, and just parked it on the lake for the season last night. Just me and a 85 lb. lab puppy, and we are real comfortable. Got a few years to retirement but could see being a full timer in a few years. Good luck in your search.