Old 10-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Santa Cruz , California
New Wanna-Be

I'm a single woman, not mechanically or electrically inclined, in her 60's, thinking about buying my first Airstream. Was wondering what advice you have for me in terms of size and lay-out (bed in front or back?). I'd like to be able to park in National and State Parks so can't go too long. Thanks for your help!

MaraAlverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
If you have trailer pulling experience and have a tow vehicle this may influence your decision. As a fairly mechanically minded 72 yo single female, I recently purchased a 30 RB, tow with a Dodge/Cummins 2500 4x4.

In the past I have had a 25' D and 27 FB. Another factor is where one likes the door. I believe I prefer the door up front as I park in truck stops a lot and this allows more convenient entrance and places the bed at the rear away from the Diesel engines running during the night. Thus a 28 May be your choice.

Maybe more info from you would help those who are available to give feedback.

Be well,

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871

Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
We are still in the looking and saving phase, but there are a lot of factors to consider.

Think about if you are able to park your trailer at home, regarding both physical space, and any HOA or regulations. Will a trailer fit in your driveway or close to your house for loading and cleaning, or will you need a convenient off-site space for this? Will only particular sizes work for this?

Check out the thread in Trailers, Bambi, newest, 4 bambi model feature differences, for some excellent feedback on the smaller trailers and also why some start small and then move up to larger.

And read up on tow vehicles, towing, payloads, and how hitches work until you get a basic idea of the physics involved, so you can make an informed choice, especially if you will be getting a new vehicle for camping.

And do go look at a few dealers, to see the true layouts. The floor plans on the websites can't really convey how much line of sight, daylight, cross ventilation, etc. different models have.

Good Luck!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
You can become an Airstreamer and enjoy the adventures of traveling anywhere your heart desires. Sure, there is a lot to learn just as there is in many other endeavors. Read and practice. The 25 foot lengths are very popular. I feel two axles are better than one for towing. I personally like the idea of a front bedroom and rear living area. A good dealer can set you up with a V6 tow vehicle like the Ford Edge or Chevy Trailblazer.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by MaraAlverson View Post
I'm a single woman, not mechanically or electrically inclined, in her 60's, thinking about buying my first Airstream. Was wondering what advice you have for me in terms of size and lay-out (bed in front or back?). I'd like to be able to park in National and State Parks so can't go too long. Thanks for your help!
My advice may seem out-of-place due to me being an Interstate motorhome owner rather than a trailer owner, but I told this to a guy I work with, who is interested in buying a good used Airstream trailer… go to your nearest dealer, and compare all of the different sizes to see which size best suits your preferences, even if you plan to buy used somewhere else. You'd be amazed at the difference a couple of feet either way can make in terms of ergonomics, and the best way to compare sizes is to see all of the different sizes side-by-side on a dealer's lot (or at a nearby Airstream rally, which you could drop by and visit). Once you've made up your mind on size, you can start looking for a trailer to purchase.

As for front or rear bed, I won't presume to give a preference since all Interstates are rear bed AND rear living-room, due to the convertible sofa/bed. But consider this when making your decision… When you back into a campsite, the view out the front window is the access road, the view out the back window is the scenery.

If you're not mechanically inclined, you should go with new or late-model used. If you're going to rely on others to do the mechanical repairs, a warranty is a good thing to have. Even though I'm an engineer by profession, my work is done with my brain, not my hands. When it comes to actually fixing things, I'm worse than all thumbs, I'm all toes! But even I can learn basic electrical repair, enough to tell the difference between a pigtail splice and Western Union splice, and do both. Even I can learn basic plumbing, at least enough to replace a broken water line or pump. You can, too, and you should.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
I will only add, if you go with a tandem axle trailer, you can limp slowly to a service station or safe location for road service if you have a flat, and not damage the wheel. A single axle puts the trailer on the ground.
AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
23-25 if you want undeveloped CG around here; we boondock a lot. With our length we can visit virtually any CG - big or small.

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote