Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
New / vintage airstream owner in Cincinnati

I have been lurking in this site for quite some time. Just learning about what it is going to take to get / rehab a vintage airstream. I just picked the title up today for a 78' soviergn international. It has been sitting in the back yard of an old lady's house and has not been titled since 92'. I suspect that it was even a few years before that when it last hit the road. I just found out that the darn thing has some sort of vacume assisted hydrolic brakes. I of course have a diesel chevy and am not able to hook up the brakes at this time. I will need to either get a electric / hydrolic pump if the brakes even work, or just bite the bullet and purchase all new axels / brakes. Any suggestions? The outside looks pretty bad, but it is just dirt and green moss. I haven't seen a dent or any other damage. I know that it will clean up pretty good with some soap and water. The interior has the beautiful 70's fabrics and brown shag. I am a cabinet maker by profession and look forward to redoing the interior in custom cherry cabinets and solid surface countertops.
My plan at this point is to get the mechanicals working. I need to get the chassis / wheels / brakes working first. Then I will attack the floor and look for rot and fix all of the gaskets. Any suggestions would help. This is my first Airstream and I will be looking to this forum for help and advice. I have a Starcraft pop-up, so the family and I will still be camping until I get the 78' up and running. I can not wait until I get that silver tube on the road.

Eric
erock53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Hey I had a 85 starcraft popup, well we had two really, then we got a sunline, then we moved over to the Airstream.... we are busy fixing odds and ends on it. it was sitting a long time also in someones backyard, moss washing is very much a good idea, I will leave the rest to the AS experts they can help you out in the other areas needed... those cabinets you will be making sound very nice... lucky trailer to get those done... welcome to the boards... and have a great day!!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Eric. Best of luck with your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Eric, welcome! Be sure to take a ton of "before" pictures - not only are they fun to look at later on (and hint, hint - we love it when people share pictures), but they'll be a big help as you piece your Airstream back together.

The odds are pretty good that the torsion axles are shot on an Airstream that has sat still for so long. Check out the axle sub-forum for tons of information.

Congrats on your new project and good luck!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New / vintage airstream owner in Cincinnati

Greetings Eric!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock53
I have been lurking in this site for quite some time. Just learning about what it is going to take to get / rehab a vintage airstream. I just picked the title up today for a 78' soviergn international. It has been sitting in the back yard of an old lady's house and has not been titled since 92'. I suspect that it was even a few years before that when it last hit the road. I just found out that the darn thing has some sort of vacume assisted hydrolic brakes. I of course have a diesel chevy and am not able to hook up the brakes at this time. I will need to either get a electric / hydrolic pump if the brakes even work, or just bite the bullet and purchase all new axels / brakes. Any suggestions? The outside looks pretty bad, but it is just dirt and green moss. I haven't seen a dent or any other damage. I know that it will clean up pretty good with some soap and water. The interior has the beautiful 70's fabrics and brown shag. I am a cabinet maker by profession and look forward to redoing the interior in custom cherry cabinets and solid surface countertops.
My plan at this point is to get the mechanicals working. I need to get the chassis / wheels / brakes working first. Then I will attack the floor and look for rot and fix all of the gaskets. Any suggestions would help. This is my first Airstream and I will be looking to this forum for help and advice. I have a Starcraft pop-up, so the family and I will still be camping until I get the 78' up and running. I can not wait until I get that silver tube on the road.

Eric
The brake system on your coach is a keeper IMHO. My '64 Overlander is due for new axles and it will be receiving new axles with the disc brake upgrade as I do ocassionally tow it with my '75 Cadillac Eldorado.

The Excella Hyda-Vac disc brakes were state-of-the-art in the late 1970s, and nothing short of one of the new disc brake systems offers similar performance. Parts aren't necessarily readily available, but most can be sourced through Inland RV. There are at least two trailer-mounted vacuum pump systems that have been mentioned as suitable for vehicles where accessing vacuum isn't possible or advisable.

If you haven't had the opportunity to browse the Forums, you would be well-advised to search on the topics of "Rear End Separation" and/or "Frame Sag" -- both are/were rather common problems with coaches of this era. It is also something to keep in mind as you refurbish -- the frame wasn't designed with much excess capacity so adding additional weight above the factory weight can prove to be a problem in terms of separation/sag issues.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote