Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I am happily towing my '86 31' Sovereign with my 2004 Nissan Titan 1/2 Ton.
Over the past 5 weeks and 2000 plus some odd miles, we've managed about 13 mpg. We avoid the Interstates generally (for esthetic reasons) but when forced to, we can mosey along at speed with no problems.

I did like the F250 with diesel when I was shopping -- just couldn't justify the extra thousands...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Mike -- Airstream FAQs on trailer weights says the tongue weight for your Sovereign without any options on the trailer is 590#. Options include things like any installed weight distribution gear, propane in the tanks, etc. It is hard to tell with some older models whether things like BAL jacks, A/C, etc are options -- at least in the 70's and before! Does your manual list a trailer GVWR? Have you ever weighed your tongue (jack)? There's usually a diagram in the manual on how to do it with a bathroom scale.

Is your Titan 2WD, 4WD, King Cab or Club Cab?

I'm the original Titan owner on the forums and sold mine 6 months ago. Your numbers may be close but I would suggest any reader search the forums and think twice if they don't own a Titan already. I feel one has to carefully consider the low load capacity (sometimes called payload) for the truck itself. This is not a power train or tow capacity issue on an otherwise excellent and fun truck.

Freeways may have more gradual grades than 2-lane highways. Even then it was annoying anytime I thought I could tow with the Titan in overdrive (5th gear in automatic). Not only would the tranny 'search' in gently rolling country, it couldn't just shift down to 4th -- it had to jump down to 3rd gear and the resultant surge and strain will shorten the life of any gasser transmission. GM's Duramax-Allison combo is less restricted. But everyone should closely read the towing section in their TV owner's manual. If the tranny isn't searching many feel you can get away with overdrive -- either on long downslopes or very flat country.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Exclamation 1/2 ton is okay (most of the time)

Just my $0.02 worth. I have an older 25 ft. Tradewind (tongue wt. about 550) that is still getting a few minor items upgraded. I took a 200 mile test run up and down the hills of SW Wisconsin.

I used my 1/2 ton 2002 GMC pick up, with tow package. I only have a 5.3 vortec V-8 in it but it did just fine in some very hilly country. I had tried towing it with a 4.32 Chev that I had and it labored something fierce.

I am no expert tow-master but I vote for a decent v-8 for most trailers. I think anything bigger than what I have, one should consider at least a 3/4 ton and a serious V-8. The only problem I had was that I did not bother with my eqaulizer and just used the hitch bar. Passing semi's on 2 lane highways seemed to shake the trailer a bit more than I liked.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this -- I couldn't find my "cheat sheet" on my Titan/Sovereign combination.

The quick and dirty: Titan payload (2WD, CC) is 1521#. My wife and I are 330#, trailer tongue is 770# leaving just over 400# for misc RV "stuff" ( I may have 200# worth...)

I agree that you simply can't tow in overdrive unless on the flat (handy when weekending from home in Miami, but am presently half way to Maine). So, I just tow without it and everything seems to work fine -- I've never had the transmission hunt or downshift abruptly.

I really like the combination, which is a good thing as I had the Titan first. I suspect that time will tell. I'll report in if parts start falling off (trailer, truck or me).

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
The quick and dirty: Titan payload (2WD, CC) is 1521#. My wife and I are 330#, trailer tongue is 770# leaving just over 400# for misc RV "stuff" ( I may have 200# worth...)
Hey Mike -- you more than have it figured correctly. I'd have rather kept my '04 Titan -- The inside amenities, sound system, installed GPS, side airbags were all nicer than anything available for my '06 GMC Sierra 3/4-ton. The mileage wasn't great but not so bad I've have made the switch. The drive train power is very good though I did have trouble once keeping the tranny temp gauge in the green while towing my Argosy on grinding up-and-down US-50 thru northeast W.Va. -- and that in 30 degree weather . I don't know how they can call that a U.S. highway.

I did have to make the switch due to the heaviness of the new Safari, but especially because I wanted a topper with canoe on top and inside the box -- bikes, tools, 4' ladder, one Rhino Ramp for easy tire changing, a roll-on rubbermade bin for life jackets & loose gear, sometimes my Honda eu2000i -- pushing 500# I figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
I agree that you simply can't tow in overdrive unless on the flat (handy when weekending from home in Miami, but am presently half way to Maine). So, I just tow without it and everything seems to work fine -- I've never had the transmission hunt or downshift abruptly.
The hunting I reported was occurring when I tried to do more while in overdrive.

Karma to you and your well thought through combo!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
To the original subject...a tow vehicle for a 27 plus AS. Please do yourself a favor and look at 3/4 ton trucks/vans. Most of us prefer diesel for sheer power in the hills and overall longterm value.

I think you will find as you look at various forums that there are champions for all makes, most choosing Ford, GM or Dodge. A lot of the decision will come down to personal preference and style.

Personally, I chose the Ford F250 Crew Cab, 4X4, diesel with the tow options. With about 13,000 miles on the truck I am getting about 12-13 MPG driving between 65 and 75, with a mix of terrain with a lot of elevation changes up to 10,000 feet.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #27
Ernie & Madaline #3570

2010 30' Classic
Westford , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to bauere
We're just getting started with our 28' Safari and selecting the tow vehicle was difficult because my wife did not want a pickup truck and wasn't found of the long suburbans either. So we settled on a 2006 Yukon/Denali. So far the towing experience has been very good. No problems pulling the Safari and a dream to drive! The auto leveling system is really nice too.

Ernie
bauere is offline   Reply With Quote