Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

Austin , Texas
Red face New to World of Air

Hello

I'm new to this group and interested in buying a trailer to live out of, stationary. I may have found one but am seeking a volunteer to give me feed back on it before buying. I'm doing this alone so it feels pretty overwhelming but I'm excited about the life ahead.

Any words of wisdom or encouragement are welcome.

EllieAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi there and welcome to Air Forums. There are lots of experienced Airstreamers here who can give you a briefing on a particular year and model of Airstream if you can post some details in a thread in the "dollars and cents" category. There are also "volunteer inspectors" who can do a hands on physical assessment of a potential trailer.

I do think of Airstreams as a premier travel trailer. I don't think of them as a permanent residence. They are built light weight for easy towing. They have thin walls. They are rather small on the inside for the money spent. They are well built to last a long time. They are expensive compared to other alternatives. And they really weren't designed for 4 season living; cold in the winter and hot in the summer. All that said, there are many folks who live full time in their Airstreams and get along just fine.

Jump right in to these forums and learn all about Airstream trailers. Search on "full timing". You will find participants here willing to answer your questions.

David

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #3

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hi there and welcome to Air Forums. There are lots of experienced Airstreamers here who can give you a briefing on a particular year and model of Airstream if you can post some details in a thread in the "dollars and cents" category. There are also "volunteer inspectors" who can do a hands on physical assessment of a potential trailer.

I do think of Airstreams as a premier travel trailer. I don't think of them as a permanent residence. They are built light weight for easy towing. They have thin walls. They are rather small on the inside for the money spent. They are well built to last a long time. They are expensive compared to other alternatives. And they really weren't designed for 4 season living; cold in the winter and hot in the summer. All that said, there are many folks who live full time in their Airstreams and get along just fine.

Jump right in to these forums and learn all about Airstream trailers. Search on "full timing". You will find participants here willing to answer your questions.

David
Thank you. its the forums that are intimidating. I dont know where to start asking questions/what questions to ask. Still, interested in finding a volunteer inspector, though.
EllieAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
What era Airstream are you leaning toward? Thereís a pretty strong presence of Airstream groups around the Austin/San Antonio region. Thereís always open house Saturday at some of the local rallies. Iím familiar with the vintage, but not the more recent. Let us know your preferences. Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi again: You can find a volunteer Airstream Inspector by filling out the form on these Airstream Forums.

You will find the form on the "portal" tab at the top of the page. Click on the Portal tab. Then scroll down about half way and look for "Find an inspector" on the right side of the page.

Fill out the requested information and see what happens. Volunteer inspectors have registered with Airstream Forums with email addresses and the like. Those inspectors who live close to where you found a potential Airstream will be contacted. Airstream Forums just sends the completed form to you, and the volunteer inspector replies with information to get the ball rolling. You don't have to give out any private information.

I just inspected a trailer for a prospective buyer this week. It was fun for me to meet the sellers and review their trailer with them. We followed the checklist and inspected all the exterior, mechanics, interior, systems, appliances, and much more. My report went to the prospective buyer as well as the sellers. The sellers and I agreed on any flaws that were found like a scratch here, or a misaligned door, or a weak battery, etc, etc. Even a brand new Airstream isn't perfect.

The process helps the buyer decide if a trip to the seller's trailer is worth it to them. Why drive a 1000 miles to find an Airstream that has has a rotted subfloor that was not evident to the seller and not advertised as such?

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote