Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Shreveport , Louisiana
New to us owner and a little overwelmed.....

Hi everyone! We purchased a 1967 Safari last weekend and are slowly making the to do list and prioritizing it. We have some questions and I'm sure we'll have lots more as this adventure continues!

First off, I need to make StellAluminum's (yeap, that's her name) watertight. We plan to place an order today for some windows and parts. Has anyone come up with a replacement part that works for this? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1357.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	156552We think we've found something, but I wondered if someone else had something even better. Also, what types of caulk should I use? I'm sure I need to do the vents and hoods. And finally, there is this black weather stripping (probably original because its dried on hard). How do I remove that and what should I use in its place?

I'm also starting to think about the "fun" work for future....curtains - I like to sew. The original curtain rods are there, at least the ones curtains would hang from. For some reason, I'm thinking there should be another rod at the bottom of the windows. I don't know what that rod should look like. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help. This adventure begins!
JJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Weatherstripping is peel, scrape and/or razor-cut the bulk of it away then use a fine wire wheel on a power drill to burnish the old adhesive off down to bright aluminum - then use 3M super-weatherstripping adhesive (the black variety) to weld the newly purchased gaskets back on, a thin even layer on each side and allow to dry enough to gel almost tack-free and press in place. Our hosts' RV store is an excellent place to gather supplies, give them year and number of windows & hatches and a big box will appear at your door
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Wabbitee, what "hosts' RV store" would that be? I also need some window parts and pieces.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Oh my...

Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations is the primary sponsor of this website, Forum Member Andy Rogozinski runs it and is an authority on all things Airstream.

I have no clue on the window hardware, and on your other questions - try the search function and prepare to do some hours of reading & note taking. The hard part is deciding which of the planned more major purchases should be discussed here, far too many of us buy first and talk later...

Avoid silicone anything, the caulks to be used are a smooth textured polyurethane formulated for metal-to-metal sealing, most of the over-the-counter caulks we can buy at the home improvement store have silica dust added to aide in bonding and weathering when used on concrete and masonry which are not a benefit on metal-to-metal.

The original Vulkem has been bypassed for a lower solvent-pollution formula so IIRC Sikaflex and Tremco products are the main caulks used. Many of the seams on my trailer I sealed with Alcoa Gutterseal after cleaning the gaps with a dremel tool wire wheel.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Oh my...

Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations is the primary sponsor of this website, Forum Member Andy Rogozinski runs it and is an authority on all things Airstream.

I have no clue on the window hardware, and on your other questions - try the search function and prepare to do some hours of reading & note taking. The hard part is deciding which of the planned more major purchases should be discussed here, far too many of us buy first and talk later...

Avoid silicone anything, the caulks to be used are a smooth textured polyurethane formulated for metal-to-metal sealing, most of the over-the-counter caulks we can buy at the home improvement store have silica dust added to aide in bonding and weathering when used on concrete and masonry which are not a benefit on metal-to-metal.

The original Vulkem has been bypassed for a lower solvent-pollution formula so IIRC Sikaflex and Tremco products are the main caulks used. Many of the seams on my trailer I sealed with Alcoa Gutterseal after cleaning the gaps with a dremel tool wire wheel.
The owner of the forums is Andy R, not Andy Rogozinski of Inland RV. This is a common misconception since they both are named Andy.

The forums is supported by contributing members. Commercial Members can also be contributing members, but that is the extent of their support.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Learn something new every day - or die trying

Thanks for the correction.. .