Hello all, it has been a long two days working on the airstream and a few more days do get it up to par for full timing while on the road working. Yesterday and today we pulled the old Bowen hot water heater and the copper lines to everything except under the main sink in the galley. I need to install yet but bought a new 10gal Atwood water heater for a replacement. It seems to be a pretty direct fit from the test fitting, have to find a silver door but in the meantime I bought some rattle can paint that matches almost exactly to the aluminum color of the trailer. I will take and post pics of the new lines tomorrow, no disassembled pictures, so sorry about that but I will post pics of the new lines.
For the axles, they will be replaced before storage at the end of the year. I still have the original 2 piece rims but replaced with solid steel trailer rims rated to 2500lb per rim and some 10 ply tires. Shop looked at the brakes and they checked good so fancy that
For the refer, I have a repair manual for it but may chalk it up to a total loss and just get a new dometic classic.
The skin is in great shape with all the original clear coat on it, has been stored in closed storage it's whole life when not in use. There is on the upper street side rear some clear coat missing where birds in the storage facility used the area for their bathroom... Surprisingly enough it's not noticeable unless in the right light and I like the sheen of the aluminum where the clear is missing. I've always been a fan of polished aluminum, anything really. Polished titanium is probably my favorite.
For the rear end separation, it doesn't move when the bounce test is done, I wouldn't have bought the camper if this was present, not enough time to repair before leaving for my next job which is coming up in 7 days.
I have a busy next few days, first on the agenda is to finish the water heater install, just have to push it in the whole, crimp on the pex and secure to the skin. Second would be re installing the shower wall, the one directly above the tub where the water switch and shower hose are. This was removed to gain access for removing the copper and running pex to the new water selector and shower hose attachment. I have some caulking to do here as over time it seams the plastic has shrunk or deformed some causing gaps and small cracks where the previous owner decided to lay 1" beads of caulk to water proof. After removing the old caulk to remove this piece I found that minimal caulking is needed and cussed the po a bit for causing this much extra work for me but I bough it this way and knew what I would have to do to rectify the problem.
After that it's on to the new flooring, we decided to use Armstrong brand roll out flooring. It's like vinyl but is roughly 1/4" thick and is padded, my wife stomps when she walks so I figured this would be a good noise reducer
. That and we picked up enough to match the entire floor in the remnants section at menards for under 100$. Big plus there. After that I will be up on the roof laying fiberglass over the original ac shroud, it is cracked and missing a corner piece, rather than pay 225 for a new one I spent 20 dollars on materials to fiberglass the original. I will check the caulking of the roof vents while up there. We got a pretty good rain the other night and no leakage inside but will check the condition anyways. After that a good deep cleaning and we will be ready to roll. I don't plan on more than two days for the remaining tasks at hand. The flooring is a roll out and requires no glue, it is meant to have a quarter round to hold the edges but will glue them instead at the edges only.
Updates and more pics to follow, stay tuned.