Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #1

Santa fe , New Mexico
New to Travel Trailers

I'm looking forward to spending time in an Airstream. I'll be taking short trips -- a few days -- but also plan on trips one or two months long. Most of the time I'll travel by myself --- and my dog(s), but will sometimes travel with another person. I will spend most of the time in state and national parks as I love the outdoors. I'm unsure whether I should buy a 19' or 23'. I'd love to hear opinions on the subject.

Thanks. GG
ggnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I believe it is best to first look at the layout and features - it will make it easier to decide on length. Best of success.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Sort of depends if "someone else" is going to share your bed. I find the the smaller the trailer, the easier it is to handle and the more likely you are to use it. Also, how big are you and "someone else"? My wife and I are both small and a small trailer is fine. If your 6'6'' and 300 lb, you might want a bigger trailer. I don't find the dogs any problem at all. The just fit in what ever space there is. Try to spend a little time in the trailers on display and see what feals right.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Definitely don't choose based on layouts on a website. GO to a dealer or a forum rally and SEE the units you're interested in. Sit on the throne, lie on the bed. In some models the door to the bathroom door opens into the bed. Miserably narrow for a 2 am potty break after having a few draft beers.

Think of spending three days in chilling rain inside.... got enough room to not go stir crazy?

Some people love 19'. I wouldn't go smaller than a 23'. It's all individual preference. What is right for YOU is what counts.

Paula
Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, you really need to go spend a few hours in the models you are thinking of. Take a book. How fast do the walls close in? Walk around in it a bit. Sit on the can. Lie on the bed. Try out the fold-down or dinette, etc.

I have a 23' and it is plenty fine for just me for quite a while. I'd bet that a 19 footer would be enough for just me also, at least for weeks at a time. But sometimes spouse or a friend come along. Then it gets smaller fast. And yep, sharing the bed (or not) makes a huge difference.

Almost no difference in towing the two ... I do think a longer trailer is easier to back up, all other things being equal, but it does take up a little more space, by definition. The reall difference is when you're parked.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Everyone here loves photos!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
GG,
All the above is good advice. I'l live and work in a 24' and it is very comfortable for me, two it would be trying after a while unless they stayed outside a lot. Look around, price them out and perhaps you should rent a trailer for a weekend and get a feel.
Airstream Judy
Old 07-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #7

Santa fe , New Mexico
Thanks so much for your thoughts...I especially like the idea of sitting in both for a few hours as well as making up the other bed and trying that out.
I'll let you know what I end up with, but will be a few months.
GG
ggnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggnm View Post
i'm looking forward to spending time in an airstream. I'll be taking short trips -- a few days -- but also plan on trips one or two months long. Most of the time i'll travel by myself --- and my dog(s), but will sometimes travel with another person. I will spend most of the time in state and national parks as i love the outdoors. I'm unsure whether i should buy a 19' or 23'. I'd love to hear opinions on the subject.

Thanks. Gg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1014.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	83325  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote