Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #1

1974 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Roswell , Georgia
New to trailers and Argosy

My wife and I recently purchased a 1977 6 metre Argosy from a widow friend of our parents. We've often camped with my wife's parents but usually we've had a tent and they've had the camper; we're taking the Argosy out next weekend for the first time to Okefenokee Swamp.
It was designed to sleep four and was offered to us when we were a family of three; between the initial offer and the passing of the previous owner's husband we adopted two children so our family grew to five. I used a couple of 2x8s to build a support (one piece of 2x8 behind the table seats with a vertical drop of 2 feet screwed to a horizontal 2x8 across the back top of the seats - similar to the capital letter "T") for a frame that comprises a bunk bed above the Argosy designed bed in the dining section. The kids love it, it sleeps well and is easy to remove during the daytime - the kids and I have slept in it in or driveway several times.
We've replaced the A.C. and the original refrigerator needs replacing. As I get used to this group I'll learn to access the available information better - but right now I have the same concern everyone else has probably experienced. I've checked the A.C., refrigerator and stove/oven and know what works/doesn't; my big concern is the toilet system. Never used one before, don't know what to do except read the book. If this weekend stinks I'll be greatly disappointed.
1moreRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreRon
My wife and I recently purchased a 1977 6 metre Argosy from a widow friend of our parents.... my big concern is the toilet system. Never used one before, don't know what to do except read the book. If this weekend stinks I'll be greatly disappointed.
Find a good toilet chemical Thetford brand has a very good toilet additive. Follow the directions and all will be fine. When it is really hot add a little extra for the smell.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New to trailers and Argosy

Greetings 1moreRon!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

As you will discover, there are numerous unique traits in the Minuet series. Your coach is from the first year of the Minuet line. At 7.0' wide, it is 8" narrower than the regular Argosys of the era; and as a 6.0 Metre may very well have the composite aluminum floor meaning that you won't have to worry about the rot associated with wood floors. In addition, you have likely already discovered that the cabinetry was made utilizing vinyl-clad aluminum.

As you become familiar with the waste system, you will also likely discover another trait that seems to be unique to the Minuet. The gray water tank is mounted above the floor on the floor of the rear 3/4 wardrobe (streetside corner). Due to this location, the shower drain is not serviced by the onboard tank requiring a blue tote tank when 3-point connections aren't availalbe (unless the previous owner added a gray water tank for the shower or some means of pumping the shower waste up to the gray water tank).

Enjoy your Minuet -- they are fun to tow and light enough in weight that they help to save fuel on long trips.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote