Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

1971 23' Safari
Gridley , California
New to this thing....

Hello Everybody, I'm new to forums, so please be patient. I have a 1971 23' Safari in decent shape and I'm beginning to do some cleanup of the exterior, as well as fixing the air conditioning. Also, I've never been able to figure out how the city water hookup works. On my Airstream I never seem to get any pressure when the city water is hooked up without running my pump. Any suggestions about this or about fixing or replacing my AC unit would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to embark on the whole cleaning and polishing experience that is recommended by Vintagetrailers.com, so would love any stories or shortcuts (if there are any), about that process. Thanks and I look forward to learning and sharing.
71Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!
Welcome aboard!

Long shot, but, do you have the owners' manual? If not, the Mothership (Airstream home) may assist.

Otherwise, try Manuals & Serial Numbers - Vintage Airstream

Sounds, tho, like the 'pressure regulator' may be restricting the flow... A plumbing diagram will assist in locating the device.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are many threads here about polishing. It is not a job for the faint of heart as it takes about 200 hours. After the first shine, plan on annual re-buffs and semi-annual wax jobs to keep the shine. Be aware you'll get a lot of attention once it is done.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Check this thread... for manual sites...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ml#post1601154
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome to AirForums. These vintage Airstreams are a lot of fun and frustration. My hobby is a 66 Trade Wind, one size up from your Safari.

Why no city water pressure when you hook it up? You'll have to see where the water is going. Your water system is designed to pressurize a faucet EITHER from the 12v pump and fresh water tank, OR from city water hook up. There is likely a water pressure reducing valve close to where you hook city water up. Maybe it's full of debris. There may be a water filter plugged up blocking flow. There is likely a check valve preventing your 12v pump from spraying water out the city water connection hose. Old trailers sometimes have "fresh water fill valve" that allows filling the fresh water tank from the city water pressure. Maybe the city water is simply filling your fresh water tank and not giving you any pressure.

You will soon learn the fun of diagnosing a problem and solving it yourself. I find Air Forum members are more than willing to help find the cause of the problem.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote