Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
machynlleth , Powys
NEW to the USA with 1962 26' Overlander!

Hi all, We are moving over as a family in August to the States from the Uk to live. My husband has gone ahead and just received delivery of our new (to us) 26ft 1962 Overlander , we bought it unseen (not much choice due to a few thousand miles of water in the way) and it looks pretty solid but still a fair bit of work ahead. He is getting it ready for our arrival as we plan to spend our first month in the States living aboard. My husband spent the first night in it last night , new gas lines, holding tank for waste needed and from what he said maybe new electrics too! They worked but when the electrics were connected to the mains supply it made an audible electric hissing/buzzing sound! Not very comforting for me as I spent most of last night fretting about whether he would still be there this morning! I am looking forward to reading about shared experiences of restoring/rewiring,loving and reviving these fantastic trailers. I am sure we will have many questions and it seems this is the place to be asking them.
malinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Welcome to the forum,and to the states,sounds like the converter may be making the noise,it`s what changes the 120 volt to 12 volt to keep the battery charged. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum and to the US. Pics, we need pics lol.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinki View Post
Hi all, We are moving over as a family in August to the States from the Uk to live. My husband has gone ahead and just received delivery of our new (to us) 26ft 1962 Overlander , we bought it unseen (not much choice due to a few thousand miles of water in the way) and it looks pretty solid but still a fair bit of work ahead. He is getting it ready for our arrival as we plan to spend our first month in the States living aboard. My husband spent the first night in it last night , new gas lines, holding tank for waste needed and from what he said maybe new electrics too! They worked but when the electrics were connected to the mains supply it made an audible electric hissing/buzzing sound! Not very comforting for me as I spent most of last night fretting about whether he would still be there this morning! I am looking forward to reading about shared experiences of restoring/rewiring,loving and reviving these fantastic trailers. I am sure we will have many questions and it seems this is the place to be asking them.
Airstream did not use a converter or transformer, until the 1964 models.

I would suggest looking for something a previous owner installed, that's causing the noise.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Welcome to the land of the free and the right to arm bears. And to the forum!
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
machynlleth , Powys
pictures

Here are some photos off our new trailer. These pics I found by coincidence posted on a website selling trailers in the Uk. Follow this link.....sv airstream - Maybricks.... ** * follow your dreams
(not sure how else to get pics on at the moment as we have none of our own yet.)
Thanks for leads on buzzing electrics, I will see if the previous owner can shed any light on it. My husband is still alive, just been pulling the plug at bedtime for some peace!

Good news is all wood work inside is great and floor solid , no sign of leaks anywhere. How were the WC's plumbed by the way? It seems there is just a tube leading out from the toilet , I presume there should be a holding tank or do you just connect this to an outlet when at a campsite?? Probably a daft question!
malinki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags