Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
New to the Silver Twinkie Cult in TEXAS

Hey everyone.

I am the new owner of a 31' '73 Int. Sovereign. Myself, fiance, and daughter are all really excited about our future endeavors and adventures with this trailer. I am already full of questions since this is my first RV.

I know very little about how everything works in this thing, and could prob use some direction. I'm sure I can eventually figure it all out, but some pointers would be AWESOME.

We have big plans for renovations, and I am confident that I will eventually be able to provide plenty of handy tricks and tips of my own. I have a decent history in automotive and metal fabrication, so it looks like its time to apply my skills to something new.

Looking forward to chatting it up with all you rivet poppin handymen.

Thanks,

Justin

Old 05-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Welcome to the community. You are going to have a ball. Be advised though, Aluminitis is a very tough bug to shake, once it is in your system!
Pics, we all want pics!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome.

I'd attend to things in this order:

1] Mobility
2] Water system
3] Propane system
4] Electrical
5] Cosmetic

Sure, all TT's need a whirlwind of work in all areas. But the order listed is of the importance of systems relative to one another. #1 is cheap (past tires/axles) and easy to accomplish. Often left to last, but that is a mistake. LED exterior lamps, new safety chains, breakaway, 7-way, etc, are easily accomplished. Same for re-wiring electric brakes with heavier gauge (and if new axles not needed) just buy new loaded backing plates as well. A DIRECLINK or MAXBRAKE brake controller on the TV. Look into hitch threads as well (title search for "Cat Scale") to get something going. IOW, bring mobility" up to a high point first. There are threads on each of these subjects above, and learning how to use this forum for a set of simple tasks (each by each) will pay off on the more complicated ones (water, propane, electrical, frame) a bit down the road.

Done with #1 it can be towed anywhere pretty well by anyone with high confidence. Old dim lighting, friction bar hitch, poor brake amperage. ST tires, and spotty connections otherwise is just asking for trouble. . . .

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
The PO had replaced axles, shocks, and brakes as well as redone the 7 pin and replaced most of the exterior lighting. Sounds like most of step number one is covered.

For the most part, it is functional. The only appliance that I know has problems is the furnace.

One thing that has me concerned is the mention of the rear frame sagging. I had planned to rework the bathroom and convert it to a wet bath, redoing the entire bathroom in aluminum from top to bottom. So, I suppose that would give me a good chance to take a look at whats going on back there....
Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good news.

Frame separation is a subject with several very good threads.

DKB_SATX and Aage both have recent threads on furnaces worth your while.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote