Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

1972 29' Ambassador
Yorktown , Virginia
New to the forum with 72' Airstream

Hello all - I'm new to this forum and not sure where the best place is to post this question. I figure this has to be one of the best places to get input on what our Airstream is worth as we are considering putting it up for sale. 1972 Airstream Ambassador, located in VA. Same family owned. Kept in a barn for all of it's life with the exception of the last 2 years, of course unless it was out on the road. Has been inactive for the last 5-6 years. New tires and brake service.
Would greatly appreciate any input and/or if I'm posting in the wrong area a recommendation on where I should repost.

Thanks!
davidat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ambassadors are a longer trailer and not in as much demand as smaller trailers.
Photos would help a lot. When were the "new" tires installed? Recently? Otherwise they are now old tires even if not used. Your post does not say anything about the condition of the exterior, interior or appliances. Are the appliances and interior an upgrade or original. Are the axles original?

If you Google Airstream Value there is a webpage that is a guide to market value based on condition. You might also search 1972 Airstream on Ebay. Without more details my guess for an unrestored Ambassador with a good body and no floor rot or frame or rear end separation issues in need of TLC is 3 to 7 K.

It would not be unreasonable to spend $15k or more on this trailer as a DIY restoration project,
Old 05-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

1972 29' Ambassador
Yorktown , Virginia
Sorry for the delay in a reply - been traveling for work.

Thanks for the response and info. Lumatic. Everything is original. Exterior and interior all in very good condition. No floor rot or undercarriage issues. I would think that for someone looking for an all original 29' Ambassedor that this one would be a very nice option.

I will check those sources for value out. Would appreciate any other thoughts/suggestions from the other experts on this forum. Thanks ahead of time!

Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3217.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	284854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3219.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	284855  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3221.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	284856  
Old 05-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

1972 29' Ambassador
Yorktown , Virginia
Well, somehow I posted the pics upside down.......sorry about that
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
From the outside it looks great. If the inside is in as good shape value should be in the upper range. Keep in mind looking good does not mean everything works. Air forums has volunteer inspectors. You might try another post asking for an inspector in your area. Whatever you do, NADA blue book values are notoriously low for Airstreams, not even in the ball park. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:00 AM   #6

1972 29' Ambassador
Yorktown , Virginia
Thanks again Lumatic. Is there a different area in this forum where I should ask about the volunteer inspectors in my area?

The inside is just as clean but certainly dated since it is all original.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I suggest you start the new thread just as you did this one but use this sequence: Forums, Start a Discussion, Our Community, Off Topic. Title the thread something like "Inspector wanted Yorktown Virginia Area". As I said they are Airstream Forum members who do this as a community service".

BTW looked up your AS under vintageairstream.com/airstream-price-guide/ which put the top end for your AS at $7500 in "average" condition. They have 2 ranges average and restored. Read the category description and decide which yours falls under.

If I was looking for a 72 Ambassador to restore I would be banging on your door.