Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #1

1974 27' Overlander
Lebanon , Oregon
New to the forum from Lebanon, Oregon

Hi all, just introducing myself. My wife and daughter and I just decided to take on a new family project...a 1974 27' Overlander with a rear bath and the one bed on the side. It's nearly all original and it seems to have been taken very good care of. There is some rust in the lower back so I'll be tearing into that to have a look. Sounds like that's something to watch for on the rear bath trailers.

We're trying to decide how original to keep it. I love the exterior look of the 70's trailers and the layout is perfect for us, but the dark wood look is pretty hard to live with. If it wasn't in such great shape I would paint or replace it. Do most of you live with it?

Well, I look forward to using the forum a lot, and hopefully someday contributing some useful information to it.

--Bryan

Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
You have jumped right in to the "keep it original or customize it" debate. Both sides have their merits.

I'll give you my opinion. I have decided I am NOT just the caretaker for the next owner of my '61 Safari. I am the owner of my trailer and I will make it serve me in my likes/dislikes and intended uses.

If you should ever decide to sell your trailer in the future painted woodwork indicates to a buyer that you may have been trying to cover up water or other damage.

I like natural wood finishes, but they do tend to be somewhat dark. To counteract this I replaced a skylight with a clear lexan skylight. What a difference! It is as if the sun just came out inside the trailer.

Try adding some light. If that doesn't accomplish what you desire, go ahead and paint. It is your trailer and you are the one that needs to smile when you step inside. I have made my trailer fit me in all aspects and have never regretted it.

Other opinions will vary, but remember, you are the one that made the investment, so your opinion is the one that counts!
Good luck in your new adventure.
Sam

Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I replace all the wood with maple the first time around. I have to remodel again as we know have 4 kids. So it will be aspen, luan and maple this time. The all light maple was a little to much as the floor was maple too. just the the all dark is to much. I like things a little lighter..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! There were so many of these trailers made and so many still around, there's virtually no cash value that I can see to preserving the original interior. Especially in the case of my trailer where the original interior was poor quality, poor design, and poorly made. My trailer had no wood except for the wood floor and luan plywood wall panels with peel paper covering. The rest was pop riveted aluminum with some wood grain print. It all looked good in the dumpster.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Just saying welcome, Bryan! You'll find lots of Oregonians on this board! Good luck with the remodel!

-Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Welcome! I'm a new-ish vintage kin owner splitting my time between Portland & Silverton. If it's in great shape, I definitely recommend minimal changes before you get a chance to spend some time in your trailer. That's some of the best advice I've received. Not that I have necessarily followed to a T, ahem...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieSue View Post
Welcome! I'm a new-ish vintage kin owner splitting my time between Portland & Silverton. If it's in great shape, I definitely recommend minimal changes before you get a chance to spend some time in your trailer. That's some of the best advice I've received. Not that I have necessarily followed to a T, ahem...

I agree with Ms. Sue... If it's useable right now, go camping? If you start pulling out walls, and replacing stuff. You may not use your Airstream for a year or two. I replaced most of the interior in Rita, but I'm retired and have the time... and it still took 6 months before we could use her. Welcome to the forum & have fun! And if you have and questions...post them here. Trex

Come and see me at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Welcome to the Airstream family. If your trailer is campable, camp with it this summer and you will have a better idea of what you want to change. The Oregon Unit WBCCI is having a rally at the county park outside of Sweet Home this weekend if you would like to come by and see what others have done with their trailers. No open house just visiting and camping.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We have been replacing the plastic covered masonite walls with real birch plywood a bit at a time. We still do camping in between. You can see some pictures of interior progress as well as camping experiences in the blog linked in my signature line below.

We bought the Tin Pickle about 2 1/2 years ago, in January. We had to put in new axles and do some work on the lights. We also replaced the dead fridge right away. By the end of that May, we were camping in it.

Make it what you want it to be but be sure you enjoy the whole process. Don't plan to defer the fun until it's "done." Plan to travel in it all the while. Each trip will help you hone your ideas of what to do next. Be careful not to bite off more than you can chew at each stage along the way.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #10

1974 27' Overlander
Lebanon , Oregon
Thanks all for the advice! We're really looking forward to camping airstream-style and meeting others afflicted with the same craze we have.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Hi Whitefishblu,
I just wanted to say welcome, We are from Oregon too. This is an amazing board and you will find a wealth of info here.
Meredith
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Just another hello from the pacific northwest, we are in Washington and have a 25' Safari. I too echo the use it and look at what others have done to get an idea of what works for you. If you want to see a lot of hard work with pictures and details, that ends up fantastic, use the search a type in Trex and look at his very detailed journey down the road to rebuilding an Airstream You'll find it both interesting and informative.