Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

2002 22' International CCD
Toronto , Ontario
New to the Forum

We bought a 2002 International 22' Airstream on Ebay last year - on a lark. We were goofing around and put in a bid that we never expected would score.
We have two issues:
1) The trailer turned out to be in great shape - looks like it's never been on the road - BUT (and we knew this when we bid on it) there are several parts missing:
the table, the door to the bathroom, the hanging cupboard, the metal divider on the bedside table. We think that the former owner had mobility issues and removed these items to make it easier to move around the trailer. We would like to get these items put back in. Any suggestions on where we would go to have this done would be appreciated (we live in Toronto).
2) We have nothing to pull it with (a neighbour hauled it to our place for us). We are looking at various options: a F1500, Sierra or Silverado, 5.3 litre V8, or a Mercedes GL 350 TEC (diesel) or CL 350 TEC (diesel) or the latter two with a gas motor. We are not mechanics and are having trouble following all the torque, turbo, injection guy talk in the Towing forum.
We are planning on an extended (5 month) trip through the US (mainly in the south down to Florida and then across to California etc. We'll be putting on a lot of miles.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome to the Forum and the new world of owning Airstreams!

Several important tricks to learn:
1. Learn to use the Search tab above on rght.. You have to be logged in, and then type in key words (like "removable table") and see if one of the hundreds of thousands of posts here can help
2. Some parts and supplies are available at RV places (electrical, Air Conditioning, etc) and some are ONLY available at Airstream dealers.. Most internal parts are dealer/factory items. The factory will answer phone calls and questions, but orders go to the dealer, even if drop shipped.

Fortunately, you have a good dealer in the Toronto area... (Airstream of Canada?) I'd visit and see what you can sort out.. You might even want to pay them to do an inspection as well, to see if anything else is hidden and a problem before you start long trip...

As for tow vehicles, GM 1/2 ton pickup trucks or MBZ SUV's are different enough you might want to do some more decision-making to see which vehicle works for your overall needs.. Any of the trucks will tow the trailer fine, and probably cost less to maintain, though empty beds may need filling in truck for stability. Either version should have load leveling hitch and sway controls to some degree... Search for "tow vehicle recommendation" and be amazed at responses.. Remember, facts and opinions are not always the same, even if expressed with equal enthusiasm....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
shelburne welcome to the forums from a fellow Canuck.
Can AM RV in London can help you with your reinstalls. It won't be cheap though as airstream parts are expensive.
http://www.canamrv.ca/
Are you actually from Shelburne? If so I'm only 30 mins away from you.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Welcome to the forums, shelburne! I'm sure you'll find tons of information here both about locating the missing parts of your new family member, and about what would make a good tow vehicle for it!

Lynn
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. There is lots of info here on the forums as to a suitable tow vehicle.

May you have safe travels and many great Airstream adventures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Can AM RV in London can help you with your reinstalls. It won't be cheap though as airstream parts are expensive.
Can-Am RV :: Home
I completely agree as I purchased my 2002 ASCL 31' from Andy Thomson, Can Am RV (I live in Houston, Texas). They are honest straight shooters and can advise you on tow vehicles as they are experts.

Since you are inexperienced I would recommend that you visit them for several days and pick their brains. In taking delivery of my AS I spent 2 weeks on site in June of 2001 and figure I got $10,000 worth of towing knowledge by picking Andy's and his crew's brains (can't say my family appreciated it as much as this "gearhead" did).
Old 04-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelburne View Post
2) We have nothing to pull it with (a neighbour hauled it to our place for us). We are looking at various options: a F1500, Sierra or Silverado, 5.3 litre V8, or a Mercedes GL 350 TEC (diesel) or CL 350 TEC (diesel) or the latter two with a gas motor. We are not mechanics and are having trouble following all the torque, turbo, injection guy talk in the Towing forum.
We are planning on an extended (5 month) trip through the US (mainly in the south down to Florida and then across to California etc. We'll be putting on a lot of miles.
Howdy and welcome to Airforums, shelburne. Sounds like you have a great plan ahead of you.

Be sure to talk to Andrew Tompson before you buy a tow vehicle; his level of expertise in matching them with specific trailers is legendary.

You may not have to have a truck, in other words...