Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
New to the Forum

Hello Airstream Forum Members! "Spidey" here (a.k.a. "Bill"). I'm new to the Forum and wanted to give you a little introduction, so cue up the music, maestro!

I'm Airstream dreamin'! Ever since I was a little kid. No rig currently, but it will be in the making a couple years from now. I simply have to retire first and move to a place where we will be able to store the future "Miss Montana" in a garage or under cover. I've really just started to do my research and want to have a pretty decent knowledge base when we (wife "Bonnie") and I decide to pull the trigger.

We are not total Newbies as we owned an Airstream several years ago. Here's the Reader's Digest version - We lived in the DC area and were both fed up with our jobs. In the fall of '99 we quit our jobs, bought a used '88 Excella 25' Rear Twin, hitched up and took off for 3 months around the country. Neither one of us had ever towed a thing in our lives; not even a garden cart behind a lawn tractor. Nothing like trial by fire! We had a '96 Tahoe which was set up with a towing package from the factory, and the dealer told us it would work fine as a TV for that Excella. Now I know not to believe everything I hear from an AS dealer. We didn't have any issues, but that poor Tahoe was simply NOT the right TV for that rig. During our travels, we landed in Montana to visit a friend and while there I got not one, but two job offers! After lots of prayer we decided to go for a big life change and move to Montana. My future boss let us finish up our 3-month trip by the way. We sold the Excella shortly after that trip because I simply did not feel comfortable towing it back to Montana in January.

I've been dreaming of another silver bullet for a while now and have been seriously bitten by the bug. I recently called the president of Palmetto State South Carolina Unit #22 to introduce myself and pick his brain. He invited us to a Unit Rally at Palmetto Cove RV Park the weekend of August 12. As it was only 40 minutes from where we live, we jumped at the opportunity. There we also met the Region 3 First VP (names omitted to protect the guilty, er... innocent) as well as a host of others. I had almost forgotten that Airstream folks are the nicest and most helpful people on the planet.I was able to ask LOTS of questions and we were invited to join a bunch of others for a bite to eat at a local winery down the road. We were welcomed like family and that is SPECIAL. We will be going back up in October for Alumilina to see the sea of silver bullets. Unfortunately it will be without an Airstream of our own.

So what AS will we be in the market for? Great question, and I thought you would never ask! If we were to pull the trigger on an AS today, for us it would easily be a 26U with twins. For just the two of us and a future puppy dog, the 26U seems to fit our lifestyle perfectly. Absolutely love the "U" lounge and the ability to get comfy and watch TV. Stow the table tops if necessary. Or put the tables up and have a few friends over for a bite to eat. The flexibility is key. The exterior storage is a huge bonus with the twins, and the large bathroom (with window) is great. I just saw a 26U for the first time this weekend and was smitten. After seeing just about every 26U online video review out there, I was somewhat concerned that the hallway might seem a bit claustrophobic, but I did not feel that way the entire 3 hours I spent in that trailer.

So here is a question for you - What tow vehicle and hitch should we get? No, WAIT! Strike that question from the record!!! I'm just kidding as I know that will seriously draw the ire of the Forum. You can rest assured of one thing. We will be deciding on the Airstream prior to acquiring the tow vehicle. I have lots of research to do in that department and I know there is a wealth of information on this Forum, but to satisfy any inquisitive minds, I am leaning toward an F-250 diesel. We will most likely be back in Montana, after all.

Well, this is turning into a novel. Thanks for stopping by, if you made it this far, that is. I look forward to future discussions with you and seeing you down the road in a couple years!

Bill
Miss Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Bill and Bonnie, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a wonderful plan and personally I hunk your choice of potential TV is great. Keeping asking questions, do lots of research, Drive all the options and then pick the one you like the best. I can't wait to get make to Montana next summer and now I have 2 new friends to say hi to when I get there.
Again, welcome and enjoy.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bill

At alumalina all your questions will be answered. Half the answers will be darn good. Half will be bs. And the third half will be outright factual confusion based on the direction of the wind at that time.

See ya there.

Gary

And I bet you met sandlapper.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Thanks much for the kind welcome, Lauri! My wife says one thing she loves about me is that I research things before making a decision. One thing she hates is that I research them to death! I really want to do this right the first time, with the AS first and then the TV.

Bill
Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Hey Gary,

I indeed crossed paths with Sandlapper! See you at Alumalina. I'm really looking forward to hearing the 3rd half of the answers to my questions!

Bill
Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Greetings from central Kentucky, Bill & Bonnie, welcome to the forum.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Greetings from central Kentucky, Bill & Bonnie, welcome to the forum.
Rich,

Thanks for the welcome!

Bill
Old 08-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Hey Billy Boy....

Very good to have you on board here. Glad Terry and I didn't spoil your lunch.

Looking forward to seeing you at Alumalina, and even better still, seeing you and Bonnie in your own rig....soon.

Don't wait, go ahead and get the dream stream.....now.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:57 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Hey Billy Boy....

Very good to have you on board here. Glad Terry and I didn't spoil your lunch.

Looking forward to seeing you at Alumalina, and even better still, seeing you and Bonnie in your own rig....soon.

Don't wait, go ahead and get the dream stream.....now.
Hey John,

Trust me, if I could pick up the DreamStream now I would. Just don't have a place for it to call home yet. We're in a townhouse now so space is limited. Maybe I should forget about the 26U and go for a Base Camp instead!

See you in a few weeks!

Bill