Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
New to RV'ing and would appreciate some advice

Hi Folks,
My wife and I are new to RV'ing, but we're excited about getting a TT. We're seriously considering a 2004 Airstream Safari (285, with slide). It's beautiful, and much more attractive to us than trailers from other manufacturers.
But, here's our concern: the seller (an RV dealer) is willing to sell for $33,000, which seems surprisingly inexpensive. What should I be aware of? Can you suggest any way that I might get an informed, impartial opinion of this deal by someone who's been around RV's for awhile? Thanks for your help!

-Bruce
porterut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Hello, fellow Austinite and welcome to the forum. I too am new to Airstreaming and this forum.
It does sound like a pretty good deal. Did he explain why the price is that low? Is he the owner or is it on commission?
Any accidents? / History of it's use?
What warranty is he giving?
Don't be hesistant in asking questions to them. Afterall, it's your 33k, not theirs, so at that price it buys you any darned answer you want.
See if they will let you have a refundable deposit and give you a few days to think it over.

If it's the one in Buda, think they have been around awhile. I looked a few of theirs just for kicks.
One thing of caution if using Ebay. Watch for scams. Been seeing alot of these with a buy it now price of 2900 listed in the text. If they require you to contact the seller before you can bid, watch out as it's likely a fraud listing.
Good luck and there is no stream like an Airstream
Alt
Thealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Its winter and there are deals out there. If everything looks good to you, grab one before the deal goes away.
We had a delaer here who closed out a group of AS trailers and was giving amazing deals until they were gone.
If its anything like the auto business, the longer they sit on the lot the higher the costy to the dealer.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Looking

The best advice I could offer is not to fall into the "feeding frenzy" mode. Take a deep breath, look around....ask around....avoid the "flippers" with a passion."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterut
Hi Folks,
My wife and I are new to RV'ing, but we're excited about getting a TT. We're seriously considering a 2004 Airstream Safari (285, with slide). It's beautiful, and much more attractive to us than trailers from other manufacturers.
But, here's our concern: the seller (an RV dealer) is willing to sell for $33,000, which seems surprisingly inexpensive. What should I be aware of? Can you suggest any way that I might get an informed, impartial opinion of this deal by someone who's been around RV's for awhile? Thanks for your help!

-Bruce
Bruce- Check the search function; there are many forum members who will help you with an AS inspections. I personally won't drive more than 100 miles to do a free inspection so sorry, I can't help you on this one but I bet someone else can! Or you can just mail me a round trip airline ticket and I will be right down.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A start would be N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide Company

I would not use it as law, but a guide. I ran a basic test run and came up with $33k as the low retail for the basic 28' slide. If this has the "LS" upgrade pkg, the retail price goes up to $34,500. Add TV, upgraded audio, leather sofa, etc, price goes up. So, yes, the price you mention is good, but I would still try to horse trade a bit.

Alan is right on, winter is a buyer's market. The longer they sit, the more it costs.

I am looking at a 31' Dinette and dealer I was talking with, didn't seem to grasp the fact that he's got a untitled 2006 on his lot and asking darn near retail for it. The 2008s start production in about 4 months, making the 2006 now 2 model years old. Each month that goes by, even though in my case, it's still new, money keeps falling off the table and to the lucky winner of that coach, a BIG hit as the tire leaves the dealership (being that it's soon to be 2 model years behind). I respectfully declined and told him to contact me if he was interested in seriously negoit for it.

Take your time. With gas prices where they are, some of the larger units aren't moving as quickly as say a 23' or smaller. Time and the checkbook are on your side.

Thanks Bob, I'll check on my PMs and do some house cleaning.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote