Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lethbridge , Alberta
new to RVing and Airstream

Hello,
We are in the process of selling our home in Alberta and would like to travel, hopefully for months at a time. We are going to buy a truck, and a trailer. We both really like the look of the older airstream. We will be able to tow about 7500 lbs max. Does anyone have any advice on a model for us? Not too expensive, in case we hate RVing. There will just be the 2 of us. We are open to suggestions. Can we purchase in the USA, or are we restricted to Canada?
Thanks,
macandannie
anniefanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
howdy from Calgary macandannie!

You don't need to purchase in Canada, we bought in the states as the price was much better. Bringing the unit across the border is relatively easy. In our research there was definitely more available and cheaper priced units in the states.

Info here:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

good luck with the search!

brad.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lethbridge , Alberta
Brad, thank you very much for the info. My husband and I are going to look in the USA as you suggested. We don`t know what length and weight we will be able to tow, but I am sure that someone on this forum will know. This is all so very new to us, but I think that it will be fun!
macandannie
Old 05-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hello and welcome, Mac and Annie....

With the limit of 7500 lbs you are coming close to what we have to deal with Our (trailer in the sig) was too much for our 2000 Jeep GC so we got the Expedition. The Jeep was rated at 6800 lbs tow max the Expy at 8600 lbs.... In all actuality I don't notice much difference in the acceleration but the stability is better; the Expedition is wider (I can actually see with my McKesh help) and seems more stable--no sway probs, but really lacks power for being first at the go light.

No knowing what your tow vehicle is/will be was thinking an Airstream Safari...with tandem wheels.....the tandems start with the 25' models.

Hope you are going to have a home-base; our Airstream is only for a month, at the most, away from home....we are really crowded.

What is your tow vehicle"

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Hi to you and Lethbridge, I visited your town last summer and my father in law grew up there. Nice town and I love those "whoop up" days!

Good luck on finding your trailer of choice. Sometimes ebay has decent offerings, and there are ads right here on this forum.
Northerngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
Hello and welcome, Mac and Annie....

With the limit of 7500 lbs you are coming close to what we have to deal with Our (trailer in the sig) was too much for our 2000 Jeep GC so we got the Expedition. The Jeep was rated at 6800 lbs tow max the Expy at 8600 lbs.... In all actuality I don't notice much difference in the acceleration but the stability is better; the Expedition is wider (I can actually see with my McKesh help) and seems more stable--no sway probs, but really lacks power for being first at the go light.

No knowing what your tow vehicle is/will be was thinking an Airstream Safari...with tandem wheels.....the tandems start with the 25' models.

Hope you are going to have a home-base; our Airstream is only for a month, at the most, away from home....we are really crowded.

What is your tow vehicle"
In the 1970's, the 23' Safaris have tandem axles and gross at 5800 for our 1979.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
How interesting....I thought I had to get 25' of trailer. I actually wanted shorter but HAD to have tandem axles

Second mistake First was we should have bought a used Airstream.

Kistler
Old 05-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lethbridge , Alberta
Hello,
We are looking at a Chevrolet Avalanche, 2004. It is V8, with 5300 vortec engine(5.3 L) . The dealer thought that perhaps about 7500lbs to tow. I guess that I need to check the specs when we buy it.
Thanks again to all.
macandannie
Old 05-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Go to the Trailer Life website and you can get towing specs.

Kistler