Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
New to RVing

I have just retired! My wife, dog, and I live on Cape Cod and are thinking about buying an Airstream, either a 27 or 30 footer, as our first RV. We have been in boating for many years and just sold our 36 foot trawler and hope to land cruises instead. My first concern is whether our 2007 Toyota Tundra Quad Cab is adequate for towing. Specs say it can haul 10,700 lbs. Our horizons are open ended and are limited only by the stock market and the price of gasoline! Appreciate any comments/suggestions. Dick & Claire

Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Tow vehicle size is always hot topic on RV forums.
While 30-foot trailers in Europe are towed with BMW325, or Volvo station wagon (4-cylinder) in US popular myth says you need 3/4 tons pickup with big V8.
I take you already own Toyota? What you have to loose trying it?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Welcome, d&c-you are neighbors!

There is another popular myth that all the advice posted here is good advice...

Will you be "full timing?
Buying new?
Pre-owned?
Vintage?

If buying new, take a ride up to Marty's RV and see what you like...they are our closest dealer, and great Folks. Very knowledgeable and no pressure. There is a very popular 27' FB ("front bed") model available now...you may check that out?!

You may be able to get a 27' or 30' to move with that truck. But if you plan on doing a lot of traveling (isn't that why we buy Airstreams?) then you will want a 3/4 ton truck. A 1/2 ton (of any brand) is not really up to the task when you get to 25' or greater (excluding Vintage units, which are much lighter).

As we are close by, you are more than welcome to stop by and see our setup, or just ask ?
This is a great forum, with lot's of cool Folks...as you will find out most Streamers are...

Bill
Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
There is another popular myth that all the advice posted here is good advice...
This is so true.

Quote:
A 1/2 ton (of any brand) is not really up to the task when you get to 25' or greater (excluding Vintage units, which are much lighter).
I have safely towed my 1998 25' Safari to Yellowstone and back to California with my 1/2 ton vehicle. Yes, it is within weight rating and it's not vintage.
As you can see, there is a wide range of opinion...
Dave
Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick&claire
I have just retired! My wife, dog, and I live on Cape Cod and are thinking about buying an Airstream, either a 27 or 30 footer, as our first RV. We have been in boating for many years and just sold our 36 foot trawler and hope to land cruises instead. My first concern is whether our 2007 Toyota Tundra Quad Cab is adequate for towing. Specs say it can haul 10,700 lbs. Our horizons are open ended and are limited only by the stock market and the price of gasoline! Appreciate any comments/suggestions. Dick & Claire
Hey Dick and Claire congrats you made it!! Some day retirement. Well RVing is the way to go and there is no other choice than Airstream!! We have an 08 27 ft Safari that you can check out under the thread "picked up new Safari today" If you have any questions or would like to check it out in person some time just let me know. I'll second what BillTex says about Marty's. Call Bill Andrews and he'll take good care of you.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Thanks! We put a deposit on a used (2007) 27' Safari and expect to close the deal this week but probably won't take delivery until March. We want to bring it home for outfitting and to get the feel for driving with a trailer attached. We had worked with Marty's but they don't have much of an inventory. We found the 27 Safari in Maine and were impressed with Stateline. If we need service we'll work with Major's RV here in Bourne. Dick&Claire
Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Thanks! We put a deposit on a used (2007) 27' Safari and expect to close the deal this week but probably won't take delivery until March. We want to bring it home for outfitting and to get the feel for driving with a trailer attached. We had worked with Marty's but they don't have much of an inventory. We found the 27 Safari in Maine and were impressed with Stateline. If we need service we'll work with Major's RV here in Bourne. Dick&Claire
Nice! Congrats on your AS.
True about Marty's; they are a small dealer. But very professional.
Majors is good folks! I am sure they can handle your AS.

Did you check payload of your Toyota versus the 27? You may be getting very close to max...

Measure twice, cut once...

You will love your AS!

Bill
Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
The Tundra 5.7L Quad Cab is rated at 10,700 lbs. The "wet" weight of the 27 Safari is around 7800 which should leave us close to 3000 lbs for stuff and a margin. The smaller Tundras are rated lower. Dick&Claire
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
The Tundra 5.7L Quad Cab is rated at 10,700 lbs. The "wet" weight of the 27 Safari is around 7800 which should leave us close to 3000 lbs for stuff and a margin. The smaller Tundras are rated lower. Dick&Claire
Hi d&c, it is not the tow capacity but the payload that may be a problem. Again, I did not research the capacities and weights of your setup...but YOU should.
Safety first.

Cheers, Bill
Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Dick and Claire. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratultions on your new baby. You're going to love Airstreaming.

As far as the Tundra goes, try it out and see if it works for you. Start researching sway control and weight distribution hitch systems. You're going to want one.

Safe travels, Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Bill: educate me a little please. The payload capacity of the Tundra CrewMax is 1500 lbs. The hitch weight of the 27 Safari is 890 lbs without options. Does that mean that I have 610 lbs for options (water, waste, propane, gear, etc.)?
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Dick,
Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you're going to have many years of fun!!
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Bill: educate me a little please. The payload capacity of the Tundra CrewMax is 1500 lbs. The hitch weight of the 27 Safari is 890 lbs without options. Does that mean that I have 610 lbs for options (water, waste, propane, gear, etc.)?

hi dick and welcome to 'streamin!!

the tongue weight quoted is only an estimate.

add lpgas, a spare tire, trailer options, and any stuff carried INSIDE near the tongue...

and the true tongue weight may be several 100 lbs more.

so u really gotta weight it 2 know....

the skimpy payload on the toy' also must include, the w/d HITCH, PEOPLE, PETS, GEAR and OPTIONS (a shell?) inside/on the truck....

u may very well find the 1/2er is fine for your needs...

and while most 3/4 tons are bulkier to drive and larger to park...

properly set up, they also make for more relaxed towing uphill, downhill, in semi-traffic or wind or weather...

then there is the very real issue of "honey we just need a little larger trailer"...

i'm sure there are boating analogies but i'm a land lubber...

so the one i think of is captain quint, trying to drag the jaws shark to shore...

of course that's all a pile of myths too...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigger boat.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	53535  
Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
In the past two years I've towed my '31 Sovereign over 20,000 miles from Miami to Seattle to Prince Edward Island....

Did this with my 2004 Nissan Titan. My only "incident" was pilot error )"low clearance really means it). Was never scared, never had any trouble pulling or stopping, never had any significant sway (when an 18 wheeler passes me at speed -- I do know he's there).

Would a big old diesel have been handy for the handful of grades where I found myself in 3rd going 40? You betcha. However, regular gas is cheaper than diesel and easier to find. For me, the cat and the bride, the 1/2 ton worked (and still works) great and it was $8 grand cheaper than the cheapest diesel.

My Brother-in-Law (in Albuquerque) bought a new Tundra and a new 27' FB to pull just last Summer. Has had no problems so far motoring about the high country.

So, the 3/4 ton guys love their rigs. I love my rig. I suspect you will love yours. You won't know until you've lived with it for awhile.

mike