Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
1996 28' Excella
Banks , Oregon
New to RV

I am not only new to this Airstream community but I am brand new to RVing. I have never owned an RV of any type. I just bought a 1996 Excella. Don't know if it was a good purchase or not. I took the plunge because my wife are nearing retirement and wanted to see if this was for us.

Any advise on how to get started would be great. We are so new we don't even know how to load the unit for a trip.

SteveFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Travelling by RV is different. Some people tour, other people camp. Some people use them for temporary housing out of the bad weather climates. What you carry depends on what you intend to do and how long you will be gone.

Our packing list varies. Sometimes bikes and various boats might be included. Some people drink the local water or drink out of the trailer tanks. Some people bring along bottled water. I travel with a half a tank of water, if I do not know where I will be camping. It gives me greater flexibility.

The weather can vary a lot, if you are going on a long trip, but there is plenty of room in a 28 for lots of layering.

You will need the usual personal items but will not be able to use your hair dryer, unless you find someplace to plug in. If you intend to use courtesy parking, bring along an extra long heavy duty extension cord and a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter. If you are into being social, a local club weekend rally might be a place to start.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina

Welcome to the Airforums community. I think finding a local RV buddy to show you the ropes even if theirs is not an Airstream would help, all the hookups and tips etc. The list of do's and don't can be a long one and getting some guidance is a consideration. I think first would be a safety check, tires, brakes, hitch, 7 pin connector, lights, and parking lot driving practice if necessary. And adopt a system that allows you to hook to the coupler w/o the better 1/2 considering her better 1/2's sanity and skills can be VERY helpful. Mine is a convex mirror mounted on the tongue jack when req'd then removed for driving.

Hitches are a huge point of discussion and need to be correctly setup, the hitch mfgr's directions are a great starting point.

Time to start this chapter of having fun.

Good luck.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A good course in Don't Do This is Lucy and Desi's 1953 movie "The Long Long Trailer". There is also Clinton Twiss's book of the same name. Also Robin Williams more recent "RV".
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You can find all of the RV information that you need will right here on Airforums.

We were like you six years ago. We were recently retired looking for the next chapter of our life. We knew that we wanted to explore the country, but had never had an RV before. We did research, bought Lucy (our beloved Airstream), and hit the road. In the last six years we have spent 1,170 nights in Lucy (48% of our time), and have now towed her a little over 100,000 miles. Lucy has visited all of the lower 48 states, and has camped in most of them.

We come home mainly to plan a trip and get Lucy ready for the next adventure. We really feel like we are doing retirement right.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Welcome on board "Streamin with confidence" . This forum will help a lot as it did for me years ago and my best advice as someone already mentioned above will be to attend as many local rallies as possible in Banks Oregon. You can attend with or without your airstream (free without) and see all kind of combinations similar to yours. Make friends ( face to face) with whoever you are comfortable with and share your plans , hitch setup, successes & frustrations if any. Fore most parts, nothing new but easier ways of achieving the so called impossible . Best wishes

F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote