Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
New (to me) Casa Rodante

First off, thanks for the unknowing help in my search for my first Airstream, I have learned a lot "lurking."
I was going 300 miles to look at a 25 footer with many dubious problems and chanced upon a '76 27' International. It was just what I was looking for and could not find or thought I could afford, but this one was actually cheaper than the one I was going to look at 260 miles futher away. No large dings, two small scrapes and numerous dents on the leading edge at the very bottom. Everything but the couch and the water pump are still original inside and in GREAT shape for a 38 year old trailer.
Now to get rid of the 2955RL Montana and the Diesel Dodge we pulled it with.
Since the wife passed away in May I no longer need all that room and expense.
New water pump comes in tomorrow, then I'm going vacilando for a while.
By the way this is the definition,

verb vacilar, present participle vacilando not vacillating, if one is vacilando (valacidor) he is going somewhere, but he doesn't greatly care if he gets there, although he has direction

I think in Australia they would call it going on a "Walkabout."
Except now I'll be riding in style.
I know I will have lots of questions for you all, but the search function has turned up everything I needed so far.

See you on the road.

Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Sorry about your loss.

Sounds like you found a great trailer. Welcome to the forums.

Have fun on your walkabout. I personally enjoy just wondering around any place that I have not seen.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
My condolences regarding the passing of your wife, and my welcome to you to the forums. You no longer need to feel like you are lurking around while here as you are an owner.

Good luck with your AS and enjoy yourself wherever you find yourself.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
I'm sorry for your recent loss, Valacidor. I'm new, too, and hope to see you posting more about your fabulous trailer--including pics!
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Gonzalez , Florida
I've been looking also, only for an Avion. Best of luck on your travels, if you get down to the gulf coast give me a shout out. I'm up in Dothan and Enterprise often.
Smokeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
So sorry for your loss Tom. Happy trails in the future.
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Welcome to the forum! I have a 74 and have found it to be very well-designed. I've learned to slow down a bit as I go through the thing, instead of jettisoning all of the 40 year old technology thinking there is a better 21st century solution. Save for the water pump, that had to go!

Have you found a suitable "Charley" or some other companion to help you discover adventure in your Rocinante?
Erik Olson
1974 Ambassador 29' Ohana
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
Thank you all

Thanks for the kind words, it is a big change after we spent the last 15 years of our marriage together 24/7.
SmokeyDog, I actually had a Avion in my sights about two years ago that I think is still available. Want me to check? It was a little too much of a project for the late wife to approve of. It is around a little burg named Hacoda, about 30 miles west of Enterprise.
If you come through Hartford on your way to Enterprise, let me know Ahead, I might be home for a while yet.

Erik, I personally think the "Retro" style of the interiors to is better than the plastic and particle board found in newer trailers. Since my water pump was missing, that was the first order. The Univolt had a noise like an out of balance fan on 1/8th speed, I had an 3 stage charger, I had repaired lying around, so that went in too.

Pictures will be coming.

See you when I see you!

Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote