Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
1996 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Fairfield Glade , Tennessee
New to me

I recently purchased a 1996 B190. Didn't think I'd need to do much to it, but I was in for a surprise or maybe my mechanic needs more business. Does anyone else drive one of these and could maybe answer some questions? Like to meet others in the TN/KY area.
Lou0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hi Lou, welcome to the forums and to Airstreaming. We live in Lexington but have yet to begin our great adventures. We got our AS in February and have taken just 1 short trip, but we have been stocking it and making plans for this summer and beyond. Hope to see y'all out there sometime.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Many times an eighteen year old vehicle needs work even with low mileage. What engine is in it. Belts and rubber parts can go bad after so many years. Might be water in the fuel tank making pump replacement possible. But, after a few things you will have a dynamite RV. Enjoy it. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
1996 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Fairfield Glade , Tennessee
Unhappy New to me

Thanks for the reply. This one hasn't been sitting, belonged to a friend. However, I don't think she fixed anything until it became vital. I've had the roof recaulked and the same for three windows. Had the leaky windows taken out and redone. My mechanic says it needs new tires, shocks, upper and lower ball joints, plugs wires and rotor, transmission service and that the AC is low on freon. All this will cost me about $2,600. The tires have some fine cracking up near the tread which is good. If I read the tires right they were manufactured in 2011. I'm not a total newbie as I previously had a 21' Class C which in a fit of madness I sold. I believe in preventive maintainness, but not unnecessary work.

P. S. I'm a female and not at all mechanically inclined.
Lou0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Everything you fix or replace now gives you a starting point for reference in the future. Time and or mileage. Safety first. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote