Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Celina , Texas
New To It All...

Hello everyone!

My name is Matt Bell. My wife and I were given (yes, GIVEN), a 1976 Argosy 24ft about 3 weeks ago. We are currently in the process of making it our own, and will actually be moving into it full-time at the end of next week. Our renovations and updates will take place over time, but we are pretty green in this world of Travel Trailers and the like.

I am a musician and my wife is a photographer/videographer. We are parking "Juniper" on a friends farm for the time being while we get used to camper living, and will actually be heading out on tour early this summer, playing music in parks, small churches, (basically anywhere they'll have us), and my wife will be documenting the whole thing.

We look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge from all the veterans out there, and hopefully we'll get to meet some of you along the way!

-Matt
manda1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
brooksville , Florida
welcome to the forums! We have something in common, an argosy that was given! my husband and I have two actually and are in the process of doing a full Reno on the 73' 26ft and we camp in the 72' 26ft. we absolutely love them! hope you come to florida one day! enjoy!
sleepybear74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Welcome and enjoy your new AS!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Best wishes on your upcoming tour. Send us pictures and keep us posted along the way.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
what great fortune! surely we can expect to see great photos!

good luck with it all!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
New Denmark , New Brunswick
WELCOME TO OUR COMMUNITIES. eNJOY YOUR AIRSTREAM
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome Matt,

Does your parking site at your friend's farm have access to a septic tank? If there's one near but not close enough for a "stinky slinky" there are systems like the SewerSolution that will help you get the contents of your holding tanks where they need to be. The original tanks on '70s Argosy trailers are TINY, so that will be something to work out early in your projects. The black tank is about 15 gallons and the grey tank is about 12 gallons. Greywater is easier to deal with than black, but you have a single outlet so a unified solution is best.

This summer, seek high altitude and/or latitude. I'd love to have the luxury of "chasing 75 degrees" rather than dealing with Texas summers!

Our '75 Argosy24 has been a great traveling machine, and the white paint actually gives it a slight edge over the silver trailers in the Texas sun, but the AC still labors when there are 3 digits in the temperature.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New To It All...

Greetings Matt!

Welcome to the Forums and to the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda1215 View Post
Hello everyone!

My name is Matt Bell. My wife and I were given (yes, GIVEN), a 1976 Argosy 24ft about 3 weeks ago. We are currently in the process of making it our own, and will actually be moving into it full-time at the end of next week. Our renovations and updates will take place over time, but we are pretty green in this world of Travel Trailers and the like.
Your Argosy was built during the mid-point of First Generation Argosy production. There are two separate generations of Argosy travel trailers. The first generation ran from 1972 through 1979 and included the trailers that most resemble the Airstreams that everyone recognizes . . . with the only significant structural difference being that the exterior endcaps are galvanized steel rather than aluminum (some have been found with exterior endcaps made of fiberglass with speculation being that such trailers were either factory experiments or the fiberglass exterior endcaps were utilized in field repair of damaged trailers). The second generation (1986-1989) of Argosy does not resemble the first as this was Airstream's first experiment with "bonded" side-wall construction that is often referred to as "square" Argosy and later as "square" Airstream after the technique was applied to select Airstream trailers. The best suggestion that I can give you at this point is to thoroughly assess the trailer and address any safety/structural concerns first since you are planning on using the trailer in the immediate future.

Quote:
I am a musician and my wife is a photographer/videographer. We are parking "Juniper" on a friends farm for the time being while we get used to camper living, and will actually be heading out on tour early this summer, playing music in parks, small churches, (basically anywhere they'll have us), and my wife will be documenting the whole thing.
You will find several Argosy and Airstream owners with interests similar to yours here on the Forums. There is at least one musician here on the Forums who travels extensively in his Argosy to music festivals. There are also several photographers who travel in their Airstream products and at least one has created a dark room in an Airstream. Many here on the Forums enjoy attending music festivals . . . I have used my Airstream to attend a couple of regional music festivals as a spectator myself.

Quote:
We look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge from all the veterans out there, and hopefully we'll get to meet some of you along the way!
I am sure that you will find many Forums members who will be happy to share their knowledge of these wonderful Vintage Airstream products.

Good luck with your Argosy, and a very warm welcome to the Forums!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote