Old 06-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
New to AS life and looking for help and advice!

Hello all! My name is Rachael, and I'm new here Looking for some help and resources from all you knowledgeable Airstream enthusiasts!

After some serious and difficult life changes for me in the past year (family health issues, divorce, changing jobs and states just barely scratches the surface), I'm making the move from Washington to California (can't wait to soak up that sunshine!) and have been dreaming of living in an AS. I spent the last week and a half viewing some renovated trailers and have found one I LOVE.

Where I need help:

Are there any resources (besides searching "RV Space" on craigslist) for finding good spots with hookups for a trailer/tiny home?

Has anyone had success reaching out to a community in another way to find a great place to set your AS and work out a deal for hookups with a property owner?

Anyone know of any great (and reasonably priced) longer term spots near San Luis Obispo, CA for an RV?

Lastly, anyone live in the LA area that'd be interested in inspecting a renovated trailer for me as a second (and more experienced) opinion?

Thanks for any insight you may have! For now, I'll be getting help in towing the trailer from a cousin in the area with lots of experience, but I can't necessarily move it on a whim. Any other advice you have for me is welcomed!

Thank you!

MyHappyPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
I'm afraid I can't help on any of your questions as I am still in the "looking" stage, but welcome. This forum is an amazing source of information and fun.

Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Check out “Airstream Inspectors” on the right side of the Classifieds page about half way down. Good luck.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Inspectors are found on the Portal page of this Forum about half way down. They are listed by state.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Best of luck, Rachael.
When I lived in SLO (just a magical place, shhhh) there were campgrounds all around, but nothing right in SLO. If it were me, I would alternate from Montana de Oro, Morro Bay State Park, Lopez Lake Rec Area, Pismo Dunes, Oceano, and repeat. You could inquire around the local wineries if there is a work/space arrangement where you could park your trailer.
Before moving to California, be sure to check out your estimated costs, particularly the friendly Board of Equalization and your registration fees and inspection fees on your tow vehicle.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
He and welcome to Air Forums. I do wish you a "Happy Place" after a difficult time. Chin up, and press on regardless. You can rebuild like so many before you have.

It is my humble opinion that living full time in an Airstream ain't the greatest option. They were and are built as lightweight travel trailers. They are expensive being all aluminum. There is a distinct difference between a "full time" RV and a travel trailer; insulation, appliance selection, door and windows, etc, etc. Many fifth wheel trailers are designed for full time. That said, many folks here do live in their Airstreams and have more experience than I.

As you rebuild, consider your budget. California is nice, but expensive. Make sure your income can compensate. Lots of folks live in trailer parks. When we travel in our Airstream, we often stay in RV parks. These parks have many "extended stay" rigs around with bigger propane tanks, skirts around the rig, insulated plumbing and stuff stashed around. It is a different view than some envision for their Airstream as parked in some meadow with wildflowers blooming all around. That's a marketing dream.

I'm a full time curmudgeon and I know it. Don't let me discourage you. I'm just trying to convey my experiences traveling with our Airstream. It is always nice to come back home. There are lots of factors in your decision.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I have to agree with David. Please do a lot of reading before you jump into the deep end. I can totally relate to your recent life changing experiences. I am also solo, widow, female. Thereís a lot more to Airstream ownership and maintenance and repairs than I ever thought possible. Itís also much more expensive than I had thought. If you are very handy and have all the right tools and some experience then maybe, but if you arenít terribly good at that stuff then how are you going to get it repaired...honestly, I donít want to discourage, I am doing it but itís much more work than I had hoped for. (I also have a house as my Plan B). Finding a place in California is always expensive, always has been, so keep that in mind. I also find it challenging just trying to live in a really tiny house and neighbors are very, very close. What makes it tolerable is that I can move to a different place, state, city, town whenever I want. It wonít be the same if you canít do that. Finding a nice older AS in great shape is tough, not impossible, just need a lot of luck. Thereís always something that needs repaired and I bought new. Itís been an eye opening experience and so far I havenít quit but had I known just how much work it would be I donít think I would do it again. This is my first and absolutely my last AS. In another 10 years there no way I can keep doing this on my own.
There is tons of great information here, every model, every year, all kinds of tips, tricks, all kinds of information on plumbing issues, electrical problems, maintenance, tires, hitches, water leaks, etc.. The blue search box at the top of the page is very helpful and even just start reading ďnew postsĒ is a great introduction to all things Airstream.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote