Old 09-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Lubbock , Texas
New to Airstreams

The one who must be obeyed (the wife) and I are seriously considering selling the house and hitting the road. We are both retired and on the high side of 65 now. I'm a retired L.E.O. and the wife retired from being an office mgr. of a large accounting firm. Previously we've spent ten years in our Hans Christian 33T sailboat cruising a little over 23,000 nautical miles so we know we can get along in confined spaces 24/7 if need be. That won't be an issue here. I just say, "Yes Dear" and do whatever it is she asks me to do, it's worked for me for a little over 42 years now.
Anyway, after looking at many 5th Wheels and being disappointed with the quality we've been leaning more and more towards an Airstream. Now the decisions will be new or used and size. Since we'll be full-timing I'm thinking 28 to 30 feet. I've been reading this form for a few months now and have learned a lot! My first question is, is there anyone on the form full-timing with a large parrot? Like a Blue & Gold McCaw. If so would you please private message me? I'd love to hear your solutions and stories!

Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Welcome to the insanity.

I can't give any advice on birds in Airstreams, other than you will have a killer burglar alarm.

As for length I only have one thing to say; buy what you need, not what you want. Longer trailers require bigger stronger tow vehicles which cost more to buy and use more fuel. Longer trailers suffer from frame issues more than short trailers. Your wife can stow more STUFF into a longer trailer, the list goes on and on.

Airstreams are just like any other vehicles out there. The depreciation really hurts in the first couple of years, so if you prefer to spend money on your retirement I would buy used. That being said, you need to be cognizant of problems that do afflict certain models and model years.

If you aren't handy then DON"T buy a fixer upper as the labour to redo a subfloor will hurt. If you are handy and have time to do a project, great deals can be had from people that thought they were capable of restoring an Airstream and found out they weren't. One caveat.....make sure all interior parts are included.

Good luck

Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Had a medium sulphur crested and blue and gold mac; sadly, neither now.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote