Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
New to Airstreamin'

Hi Everyone,

My name is Robin and my partner Tracy and I just bought our first Airstream. She's a 1966 Overlander and in great condition (at least compared to all the others we've been looking at). She needs a couple of dents removed and a good polish, but her interior is still as solid and beautiful as when she was new. I am very excited if you can't tell! I live in Phoenix and hope to have her totally road worthy in time for a trip in August to the Northwest. I brought her 850 miles this last weekend from where I purchased her and she pulled like a dream (even with the trailer breaks not working). Seems I have a short in the line going back to the magnet??? She came with a very heavy-duty equalizer hitch, which when connected dropped the front end of my truck right back into it's normal position. I haven't ever pulled anything with one of these, mostly just horse trailers and such, but it sure made a difference. I will be looking for some hints on how to remove tape residue from the exterior and what the best kind of calking and sealer to use is?
Can we post pictures?
Looking forward to chatting with you all,
Robin out
draftwomyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome. Someone here will be able to tell you how to post pictures better than I can. I'm computer challenged. I can do it myself, but just barely. I have an Argosy, so I can't tell you much about removing tape. Others will have to do that too. I just bought a 1958 Overlander, so I'll be looking for hints from you as you go along. Again, welcome, you are in for some of the best times of your life now that you have an Airstream. You're free to travel and restore.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Welcome to the forums, Robin, and congratulations on your new-to-you Airstream! Pulling these is a little intimidating to think about if it's new to you, but if you've had experience with horse trailering and such, you'll do fine. About the tape residue, I'll be following your thread since I have duct tape goo to get off our "Gypsy" from last summer when, after the latching mechanism for the rear storage area fell apart, we just duct taped to keep things together. Live and learn~we'll NOT do that again Again, welcome! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Removing tape residue. For years I have used Coleman lantern fuel. Another source is WD 40. Good luck with your Airstream
Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Welcome Robin! Looking forward to seeing pics of your "new" Overlander. Where in the Northwest are you planning to travel?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Welcome Robin,
This is a great group and you will get lots of good advice here. Do a search on Vulcum and parbond, you'll find out lots about sealing airstreams.

We are on Interstate 5, just a little south of the Oregon border, so if you head this way in the summer, let us know, we have a great stopping/parking spot for you on your trip north.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forum. Another member from the valley! We have a growing list of members here. We would love to see your pictures.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Congrats on the coach and welcome to the forums! And not only is it possible to post pictures, we will be insisting!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Oh, man I've got to get vintage!

Hi Robin,
You've come to the right place. Looking forward to the photos of your new rig. Yea, where in the NE are you heading?

Fun,
Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Posting PICs

Just click on the photo tab at the top of the page then select member's photos or Airstream trailer photos and then click the upload link, then click the browse button and find your photos on your PC (do this for each photo). enter atitle and description, Next select submit at the bottom.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois

Robin and Tracy, welcome to the Forums! If you chose to use WD-40 to remove tape residue from your trailer please use rubber gloves. WD-40 will absorb thru the skin and with prolonged use it destroys the joints and causes arthritis. So be careful using it! Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome Robin and Tracy. You will find a wealth of information here. A good source of all products for your Airstream is Vintage Trailer Supply. Both knowledge and goods. Steve is a vintage Airstream Owner and uses the products he sells.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/
Old 02-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Welcome Robin...you're in for a great time and as you can see will get lots of help on this forum...I'm planning a trip to the Northwest this spring...perhaps we will run into you...joe...
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Trip to the Northwest

Hi All,

A few of you have asked where Tracy and I will be going this Summer, so here it is.
We will be heading out August 26th with our first leg ending in Lewiston Idaho, we will then be going across Washington to Astoria Oregon. This is where the fun starts, going down Hwy 1 along the coast, just us and the dogs. We will venture inland at Coos Bay, heading for Grants Pass and a short stop to visit family. It's back out to the coast and Hwy 1 to continue down to Orick CA and the redwoods, we love the Roosevelt Elk Preserve for camping and hiking. I'm not sure of our route home from there, but if tracy has her way it will be back roads and 1 laners . This whole journey will take 16 days of the best vacation time ever spent.
I am totally enjoying being a part of this Airstream communittee, the help and kind words have been greatly appreciated. I hope I can add some words of wisdom and help to others in the future.
Robin out
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Welcome, Tracy and Robin (learned the hard way it wasn't "ladies" anymore a few years ago in the ivy league--bah, humbug)!

The brake problem sounds like a worn magnet. When a magnet gets worn down to where the winding is exposed, it shorts to the drum. On a trailer that old I recommend getting new brake plates (see photos in

http://www.airforums.com/forum...kes-21133.html

post #3) and replace the whole she-bang, about $50 per brake. Then you'll have the modern magnets that can be replaced. You can't find replacements very easy for the old round ones (new ones are rounded rectangles).

Where did you pick up your AS? I bet we've all criss-crossed each other and the whole country in finding the perfect one--why can't we seem to find the one that's next door? It's not unusual to see that members have retrieved their AS from over 1000 miles away!

Roger
Old 03-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Robin,

When you get to Coos Bay, you must must must go see the most beautiful cove in Shore Acres State Park. You can camp at Sunset Bay State Park--really nice and 200 yds to the beach. It costs a few bucks to get into Shore Acres, but worth it. To get to the cove from the Gardens, walk to the beach cliff, then follow the trail south, go through the gate and follow the trail down to the beach. You can also go a couple hundred yards south of the entrance to Shore Acres and park in a little pullout (just past the stream), then hike into the woods and down the steep embankment to a trail that will take you to the cove. You can't appreciate the incredible rock formations unless you are down in the cove, and low tide is the time to be there (see Bandon Beach tide tables to get an idea).

Then head south and spend another few hours on Bandon Beach at low tide--great beach, great sea rock formations.

If you want your photos to be visible in your post, use the paperclip icon at the top of the posting box.

By the way, if you're considering heading from Eureka/Arcata over to Redding, consider the sign below--it will take you 6-7 hours and you'll need good brakes! But it's beautiful up on top, especially if there is fog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3995 140 miles-s.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	19143   Click image for larger version

Name:	coos bay.gif
Views:	95
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	19144  

Name:	IMG_4232 cathederal and stones-narrow-s.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	19145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4089 Bandon rocks-s.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	19146  

Name:	IMG_4167 Shore Acres Cove-s.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	19147  
Old 03-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forum Robin & Tracy! You're going to be going through some great countryside and Roger mentioned some great places to stop. I biked the coast from Vancouver BC to La, California and the 101 is an incredible stretch of road to explore. I was impressed with the State Parks and their camping facilities all the way along. Even though I was cycling and was living in a tent, the trailer facilities looked pretty good. Mind you, after a couple of months living in a small one-man tent, anything else was starting to look pretty good! Too bad you're not coming up as far as Vancouver BC, I have a feeling you'd have a great time here!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote