Old 02-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
New to Airstreamin'

Hi Everyone,

My name is Robin and my partner Tracy and I just bought our first Airstream. She's a 1966 Overlander and in great condition (at least compared to all the others we've been looking at). She needs a couple of dents removed and a good polish, but her interior is still as solid and beautiful as when she was new. I am very excited if you can't tell! I live in Phoenix and hope to have her totally road worthy in time for a trip in August to the Northwest. I brought her 850 miles this last weekend from where I purchased her and she pulled like a dream (even with the trailer breaks not working). Seems I have a short in the line going back to the magnet??? She came with a very heavy-duty equalizer hitch, which when connected dropped the front end of my truck right back into it's normal position. I haven't ever pulled anything with one of these, mostly just horse trailers and such, but it sure made a difference. I will be looking for some hints on how to remove tape residue from the exterior and what the best kind of calking and sealer to use is?
Can we post pictures?
Looking forward to chatting with you all,
Robin out

draftwomyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome. Someone here will be able to tell you how to post pictures better than I can. I'm computer challenged. I can do it myself, but just barely. I have an Argosy, so I can't tell you much about removing tape. Others will have to do that too. I just bought a 1958 Overlander, so I'll be looking for hints from you as you go along. Again, welcome, you are in for some of the best times of your life now that you have an Airstream. You're free to travel and restore.

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Welcome to the forums, Robin, and congratulations on your new-to-you Airstream! Pulling these is a little intimidating to think about if it's new to you, but if you've had experience with horse trailering and such, you'll do fine. About the tape residue, I'll be following your thread since I have duct tape goo to get off our "Gypsy" from last summer when, after the latching mechanism for the rear storage area fell apart, we just duct taped to keep things together. Live and learn~we'll NOT do that again Again, welcome! ~G
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Removing tape residue. For years I have used Coleman lantern fuel. Another source is WD 40. Good luck with your Airstream
Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington

Welcome Robin! Looking forward to seeing pics of your "new" Overlander. Where in the Northwest are you planning to travel?

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Welcome Robin,
This is a great group and you will get lots of good advice here. Do a search on Vulcum and parbond, you'll find out lots about sealing airstreams.

We are on Interstate 5, just a little south of the Oregon border, so if you head this way in the summer, let us know, we have a great stopping/parking spot for you on your trip north.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion - The Dalai Lama

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forum. Another member from the valley! We have a growing list of members here. We would love to see your pictures.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #8

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Congrats on the coach and welcome to the forums! And not only is it possible to post pictures, we will be insisting!

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Oh, man I've got to get vintage!

Hi Robin,
You've come to the right place. Looking forward to the photos of your new rig. Yea, where in the NE are you heading?

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Posting PICs

Just click on the photo tab at the top of the page then select member's photos or Airstream trailer photos and then click the upload link, then click the browse button and find your photos on your PC (do this for each photo). enter atitle and description, Next select submit at the bottom.
Cory Harrington
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois

Robin and Tracy, welcome to the Forums! If you chose to use WD-40 to remove tape residue from your trailer please use rubber gloves. WD-40 will absorb thru the skin and with prolonged use it destroys the joints and causes arthritis. So be careful using it! Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome Robin and Tracy. You will find a wealth of information here. A good source of all products for your Airstream is Vintage Trailer Supply. Both knowledge and goods. Steve is a vintage Airstream Owner and uses the products he sells.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
canton , tx
Welcome're in for a great time and as you can see will get lots of help on this forum...I'm planning a trip to the Northwest this spring...perhaps we will run into you...joe...
rvlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Trip to the Northwest

Hi All,

A few of you have asked where Tracy and I will be going this Summer, so here it is.
We will be heading out August 26th with our first leg ending in Lewiston Idaho, we will then be going across Washington to Astoria Oregon. This is where the fun starts, going down Hwy 1 along the coast, just us and the dogs. We will venture inland at Coos Bay, heading for Grants Pass and a short stop to visit family. It's back out to the coast and Hwy 1 to continue down to Orick CA and the redwoods, we love the Roosevelt Elk Preserve for camping and hiking. I'm not sure of our route home from there, but if tracy has her way it will be back roads and 1 laners . This whole journey will take 16 days of the best vacation time ever spent.
I am totally enjoying being a part of this Airstream communittee, the help and kind words have been greatly appreciated. I hope I can add some words of wisdom and help to others in the future.
Robin out

"Courage is the hallmark of the warrior"
draftwomyn21 is offline   Reply With Quote