Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMV View Post
Thanks Andy, the second photo shows where the split is, its like someone used a large knife and stabbed the hull, the current owner put silicone on this cut as well. I should have gotten a closeup of the cut, but you can see the scar, above the door between the right side and center of the door. I think this panel need replacing.

Also, I see the mounts for an awning on the side, but I am not sure if I want to add it back. The rear awning works but the front one will not retract by itself. I think both need to be replaced as well.

Qustion, if the brakes cannot be hooked up to tow it out of there, are there any issues I need to be aware of in getting it from where it is to where I am going to work on it?
Sorry, but I enlarged the photo by 400 percent, and I still don't see the cut your describing. How about a better photo? You may be able to install a plate over the damaged area.

You cannot use the braking system on that trailer, unless you also provide a proper source of vacuum to it, that also must have check valve in that vacuum hose, so that the vacuum powered brakes, activate everytime you hit the gas pedal.

Andy

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Port Richey , Florida
Thanks Lee, not sure whats involved in doing that. When you say expensive, is that because I need to get something professionally done or do i need to purchase something that cannot be fixed?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMV View Post
Thanks Lee, not sure whats involved in doing that. When you say expensive, is that because I need to get something professionally done or do i need to purchase something that cannot be fixed?
To know for sure how much damage there is the belly pan would need to be dropped and the frame inspected. Depending on the level of rot 5 to 10 grand and this is just a guess not knowing the condition of the frame or your ability to DIY. Take a look here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I suggest looking at your budget and buying the absolute best unit you can afford. You might pick up a $1000 fixer-upper and put $6000 - $7000 plus hundreds of hours into it, or you could just spend the $9000 - $10,000 to begin with and have very little to do.

I don't think most people get their time (and sometimes their investment!) paid back in a usual restoration effort - and that's time you could have been out camping. Remember the general rule... if you think it will take two months and $5000 to fix, it will be closer to six months and $10,000!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Port Richey , Florida
Well, being a cabinet maker all my life, I think i got the interior covered. Like I said, my hurdle will be the frame and shell and wiring, other than that, I do not mind doing what I love.

Where would you say the most expense lies? Is getting a frame welded and repaired really that expensive and why?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
As a cabinet maker, you have an advantage over many of us. I still suggest looking around hard and finding a solid unit to start with.

I have seen trailers advertised where the seller has already gutted the trailer and has just not gotten around to doing anything - that's good for you because they usually sell really cheap and you can inspect it easier and know what you are getting.

Patience is your ally. If you wait and look, a unit with a premium exterior & frame will likely show up ready for you to renovate. If you are feeling unsure about a specific trailer, that's your gut telling you to be careful!

Another suggestion is for you to put "Airstream Wanted" ads everywhere you can think of (internet, bulletin boards, newspapers, etc.)! Find the ones out there that people are thinking of selling. If you are looking at other people's "For Sale" ads, you are competing with all the other buyers who are looking.

Good luck!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote