Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Owner Spirit of "76"
1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
New to Airstream

I am in the process of restoring a 1976 31 foot Airstream that was a mobil home for almost all it's life and has not been towed much. This is my first experence with this project. My question that I'm sure has been answered many times.I have a 2005 GMC Serri truck and hope to pull it with. I know the weight of the trailer and have the data on the truck like the GVWR. but the dealer I talked to looked my truck up in one of his books to see the rating and told me it was close but would handle it. How can I find information so I can be assured I am going in the right direction and doing so safely. Any help will be usefull.As I get closer to finishing this monsterous project I probably will have some more questions so I can get this thing out of my yard and on the road. Gene

GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Hi Gene,

Welcome to Airforums!

I suspect the "experts" are going to want to know more details about your truck such as engine, tires, rearend, tow package and other details.

Regarding safety, I would start with making sure your hitch, brakes (trailer and truck), and lighting are working as best as possible. I suspect weight distribution and sway control may be in your future!

Again, welcome!

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, we would really need some more details about your truck and the traveling weight of your Airstream. Generally speaking, though, a vintage Airstream can usually be safely and effectively towed by a full size half ton pick-up.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Your trailer has a dry weight of 5,035 pounds. If your truck is a V8-powered 2055 Sierra, I can't see why it wouldn't.

Even if you had the 4.3 litre V6 version a well-rigged hitch should do a good job on that light a trailer, as long as you weren't going to also carry a load of stone or a couple of Harleys in the box.

Just keep in mind as you do the rebuild on your trailer that you do not want to add a lot of weight. Marble floors and a granite counter for example, go well beyond what is necessary or desirable.

Just as a side note, I tow my '74 31-foot Sovereign (same weight as yours) with my wife's 2007 Ford Freestar. We put 4,000 miles on it last fall, and it pulled nicely.

Enjoy your time putting the trailer back in shape! Show us pictures, please?
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Owner Spirit of "76"
1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Thanks this helps

I stopped by the GM dealer and ask them to look up the VIN and see what GM says.With engine and etc it calls for 7,000 lbs.From what I see with the orginal litiature I think you are correct with the traler weight so with good stuff like hitch and brakes I think I will yry it.I have another truch that is heavier but it's a work truck and not as confortable.As soon as I get closer I will get some computer help and add pictures. I am just getting the hang of posting. Luckly I think I will be OK. No flooring problems and axels seen OK. Almost finished inside and stripped outside last weekend. Next is polish and wheels. So far I've enjoyed my time and haven't tired yet. Thanks again. Gene
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Sounds great! Post some pics when you can. And welcome to the best forum site around! But be warned, it's addictive!

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote