Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #1

williston , South Carolina
new to a/s

Hi, I'm new to a/s but have camped all my life. My dad always wanted an a/s but with 9 kids could not afford one. Recently bought a 1973 souvergn 31ft, skin in great shape, windows flaking, some leaking, some p/o
electrical changes read (surface mounted conduit ). Don't know if I want to do the full monty (for all to see) and not sure if I want to do some custom or go back original maybe some could help there. I'm near columbia s.c. and might like to hook up with others with the a/s bug.
I started to do the demolition work figured that you don't know what you got until you can actually see it. The floor under the back window needs to be replaced but only for about 6-8 in. and some by the dinnet and the door. It is sure to be a bit of a project and I don't have the support of my wife she will change her mind though when it gets close to completion! I look forward to picking your brains for good ideas. Thanks in advance the post that i've read so far make me feel that the group is warm and inviting
pkean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome...

Welcome to the Forums, and congrats on finally getting your Airstream.. Be sure and practice using the search feature in blue bar above, now that you've joined, as you'll find lots of interesting stories and information...

If your wife hasn't bought into the dream, I'd think getting trailer working quickly and cosmetically would be a good start, and then let her meet some of the members here at Forum Rally... You too could probably learn a lot from talking to other owners, and seeing things they've done, or talked to people who have hired shops to do restoration and finish work...

At least she'll know where you are and where all your leftover money is going...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome to the forum. You'll find pretty much everything you need to know to do your restoration on the forum - the important thing is to use the search function and you will find advice on pretty much anything one could do to a trailer. Posting pictures when you are trying to solve a problem always makes it easier to get the right responses as well.

Good luck with your resto. It sounds as if the important thing is to get the stuff that needs doing done and then get out and use it, then if it needs more work you can tackle it as time and money allows but at least in the meantime you've been out and been playing with it. That's what we have done and it's worked well. Use it, repair as needed, and enjoy it.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
welcome pkean! you've joined a great community of fellow airstream lovers. use the search, ask questions, or just put your feet up and relax while reading forum posts. there's no pressure here, only friends and friendly advice and help. all you have to do is ask! happy airstreaming!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote