Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
New Owners

Just picked up our 2014 Flying Cloud 25 yesterday (which was an adventure in itself...on the way to the dealer we shredded a tire on the fifth wheel we traded in).

One problem so far...the metal cover for the fresh water tank was missing...dealer says it came from the factory that way and they will have AS send one.

A couple of newbie questions - we have a lot of experience with leaks on previous trailers, so I want to be proactive with the new AS. Are there particular places I should keep an eye on for water inside the trailer?

Also, how do you inspect/maintain the seams on the top of the trailer? I don't think I want to lean a stepladder on the side...
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hmmm, are you talking about a metal shroud to enclose the fresh water tank? Do you have the front dinette model we have?

I don't think we have one either, maybe that's the design. We're inside the trailer at Airstream Jackson Center, OH right now. It's raining, soon as it stop s I'll go out and check a few.

Leaks. Get a moisture detection meter such as a Sonin that Amazon sells so you can go around the interior perimeter, probing through the vinyl into the wood subfloor. I do it quarterly and have found several minor leaks that otherwise are completely undetectable until the subfloor rots. Of course if your sitting inside while raining and it drips on your head, you have a leak.

This morning Airstream pressurized the trailer then used a soapy liquid outside to look for bubbles. They found a few small ones, which confirmed what I found with the moisture meter, and fixed them. The Service Center here is wonderful.

My leaks were below the entrance door hinge (tightened screw and resealed bracket), two of the lower awning brackets at the rivets (sealed), below hinged rear window lower corner (tightened latches). The rest of the trailer tests watertight. That's pretty good I think, but checking quarterly with a moisture meter would save you headaches down the road.

Interesting about the awning mount leaks. Took the factory assembly tour and watched the water leak test where they spray the whole trailer shell with water under pressure. After done they move along to get all the equipment installed, including drilling holes to install exterior awnings. Other than that, the assembly and sealing looks excellent, very encouraging.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes we have the front dinette. The black tank has a shroud, but the fresh tank between the axles does not. We looked at other trailers on the lot...they had shrouds over both.

I'll take the advice on a moisture detector...with previous trailers I haven't been as diligent about looking for leaks, and wound up with rotten subfloors
Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have a 2005 25FB that has had extensive use (1,400 nights/115,000 miles). We have had a number of leaks over the years. The chronic spots include top edges of the windows and the rear floor line of the trailer. We have never experienced a leak around any of the roof fixtures. We have two Fantastic Fans, two vent fans, a sun roof, and an air conditioner, and none of these have ever leaked.

As far as getting on the roof of the Airstream, we have always used a seven foot open step ladder to inspect roof issues and give it the occasional scrub down.

Best wishes and many great Airstream adventures with your new baby.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I just looked at some trailers here at Jackson Center and you are not missing a water tank cover.

The 2012-2014 25' front dinette model fresh water tank is between the axles and has no metal cover, the black and gray tanks are behind the axles and have a metal cover.

The 25' front bed model fresh water tank is between the axles and has a metal cover, the black and gray tanks are in front of the axles and also have a metal cover.

Brian mentioned the rear floor line of the trailer as a chronic water leak area, but beginning in 2012 Airstream installs a rubber tubular seal in this seam during assembly and it has apparently solved the problem.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
Thanks for taking the time to look at other trailers.

I went out and crawled around under the rig for a closer look. What I had assumed was the fresh water tank is a black plastic shroud. I can feel gaps along the corners where the sides don't quite meet. I should probably caulk those up to keep cold air and little critters out.

Wonder why the 25 rear bedroom is different from the others...